Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:17 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Not on extras at Courtyards as well as Gaylord’s as I just found out after my award stay posted at 0.
Starting in August we will receive at all the hotels.
ok, thanx for confirming that and good to see that this will change in August. How many days may it take before I see my nights in my account? I stayed April 10-12 but I still don't see the nights in my account. However I see my stay of April 15-17 has been posted.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
ok, thanx for confirming that and good to see that this will change in August. How many days may it take before I see my nights in my account? I stayed April 10-12 but I still don't see the nights in my account. However I see my stay of April 15-17 has been posted.
If it doesn’t post within 10 days, file a claim.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ncgator
Where I am vague is if you can both purchase and be gifted points and receive more than 50k combined in a year. Any guidance is appreciated as I am trying to make the LTP before August 1 deadline. Thanks
While I haev never purchased points, I think the 50K is a limit for each method. So you could get 50K by purchasing points and another 50k through a transfer for a total of 100K.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may be a silly question - I am planning stays for Plat Challenge and notice the Marriott Reward Member Rate (cancellable) is always the lowest among the public discount rates such as AAA and Senior Rates. However it also says Please note: Non-commissionable rate versus the AAA or Senior Rates only say about Valid ID required.
Does the Marriott Reward Member Rate is an eligible rate to earn Stay / Night? The FAQs on Marriott site do not touch this topic. I assume it would since this is a form to award loyalty as a benefit to become a member and book direct. But I want to make sure this. The difference is $5 lower than Senior and AAA rates and only $1 higher than the nonrefundable rate. Since I need to do 9 stays, even $5 difference adds up.
Furthermore, this is a Springhill. Somehow the Member Rate is put under "package" = the word "package" bothers me as in the T&Cs. Package is not considered eligible rate.
Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale rates, wholesale packages, Fam-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking channel.

This is bothersome because the hotel lists the Member Reward Rate under "Packages".

Can anyone confirm the Marriott Reward Rate is good to use for pay stays to do the Challenge, even it says Non-Commissionable?

Last edited by Happy; May 23, 2018 at 12:04 am
Old May 23, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I think "non-commissionable" has to do with whether a TA would get a commission if you booked the rate through them. While there may well be some type of rate on Marriott's website that doesn't include points, I've always received points and stay credit for any rate I booked via their website including the Member Rewards rate. So you shouldn't have any issues getting night/points.for the stay.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Here is a basic question: How do I set the default credit card for reservations? The systems automatically uses one I don't want instead of the Marriott visa I'd prefer.

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

If you logon and navigate to your profile page. At the bottom you should see the list of credit cards the system can use. Click "edit" on the one you want to make your "preferred" card. Notice at the bottom of the pop-up window is a check-box titled "Make my preferred card." Check that box and click save.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:41 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Is there a typical amount of time I can expect for my Marriott points and stays to credit? Coming from the Starwood side I am so used to stays posting like clockwork 24-36 hours after I check out. I thought for a while that Marriott was posting within 48-72 hours but my last stay was over 3 days ago and still nothing. Is this typical? I am still learning Marriott.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
Is there a typical amount of time I can expect for my Marriott points and stays to credit? Coming from the Starwood side I am so used to stays posting like clockwork 24-36 hours after I check out. I thought for a while that Marriott was posting within 48-72 hours but my last stay was over 3 days ago and still nothing. Is this typical? I am still learning Marriott.
Unfortunately, I’ve had to use the “report a missing stay” more than I’ve liked.
Some hotels post within 2 days and others over 10 days and need to file a claim.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:30 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Unfortunately, I’ve had to use the “report a missing stay” more than I’ve liked.
Some hotels post within 2 days and others over 10 days and need to file a claim.

This is frustrating and confusing. In over 15 years with Starwood I never ran into this issue. The stay still hasn’t posted and I guess I will report online. Can’t understand why simple posting should be an issue.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:42 pm

If I book a Marriott as a Gold Elite now, but for a check in after the official merger (looking at dates at end-Aug/early-Sep) anyone have an idea of free breakfast/lounge would still apply? This actually influences about 4 reservations I'm looking to make for the rest of this year.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Here is a basic question: How do I set the default credit card for reservations? The systems automatically uses one I don't want instead of the Marriott visa I'd prefer.

Thanks!
Sorry I can't answer your question, but it's always safer to not have it on file. With the sheer number of data breaches over the last few years, you should save as little important information to online profiles that you can.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
If I book a Marriott as a Gold Elite now, but for a check in after the official merger (looking at dates at end-Aug/early-Sep) anyone have an idea of free breakfast/lounge would still apply? This actually influences about 4 reservations I'm looking to make for the rest of this year.
I do believe a Marriott Gold elite (assuming you achieved it through Marriott not through your SPG Gold status), you should become a Plat elite under the new "combined" program. That means, yes, you should still get free breakfast/lounge where applicable for elite status (i.e. no lounge access at resorts nor breakfast or lounge access at RCs, etc.)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe a Marriott Gold elite (assuming you achieved it through Marriott not through your SPG Gold status), you should become a Plat elite under the new "combined" program. That means, yes, you should still get free breakfast/lounge where applicable for elite status (i.e. no lounge access at resorts nor breakfast or lounge access at RCs, etc.)
I earned it as a match from SPG (but I did have Marriott Silver priort), so I need to assume I will stay Gold.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:25 am
formerly willbbiddy

So I set my account up as a Ritz one and I'm gold (via match). I have an upcoming stay at a renaissance and I noticed that the gold benefits listed via Ritz say "Suites and Club Level room are exempt from this benefit." under upgrade, but the marriott terms explicitly include exec level and suites.

I assume these terms only apply at the respective hotel types and that I am eligible for a suite on my stay but wouldnt be if I were staying at a property under the Ritz umbrella right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.