Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:16 pm

If I book a promo rate at Marriott site for 2,000 bonus points per night, will I still get the 2,000 point for second stay winter mega bonus points?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:59 am

Thanks in advance for any help. Back before the category changes I booked a cat 5 hotel that has now changed to a cat 6 short (without having the points). I just received my annual free night certificate from the card and wanted to apply it to said reservation. I called in and spoke to a rep who told me that unfortunately he can't apply the certificate since the hotel is now a category 6. Is this a hang up call again situation or am I out of luck? Thank you!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tandrsmom
If I book a promo rate at Marriott site for 2,000 bonus points per night, will I still get the 2,000 point for second stay winter mega bonus points?
You should. Just as an FYI, many people have had issues getting the bonus points with the promo rate (not connected with the mega bonus, there have just always been issues with it in general), so you'll want to track that to make sure it posts correctly.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:11 pm

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread to ask, I didn't want to start a new thread for a personalized question. Back in February, before the category change, I booked a category 5 short (without the points) and the hotel is now a category 6. I just received my free night certificate from the marriott credit card and called in to apply it to said reservation however the agent told me that he won't be able to do it since the hotel is now a category 6. Is this a hang up call again situation or am I SOL? Thank you!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Apologies if this isn't the correct thread to ask, I didn't want to start a new thread for a personalized question. Back in February, before the category change, I booked a category 5 short (without the points) and the hotel is now a category 6. I just received my free night certificate from the marriott credit card and called in to apply it to said reservation however the agent told me that he won't be able to do it since the hotel is now a category 6. Is this a hang up call again situation or am I SOL? Thank you!
Call again. And if the new agent gives you grief, tell him it was booked when it was a 5.

I called last year when I noticed the points on my reservation reflected the new higher level. I was told not to worry as I would get charged at the older level. And i was.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Call again. And if the new agent gives you grief, tell him it was booked when it was a 5.

I called last year when I noticed the points on my reservation reflected the new higher level. I was told not to worry as I would get charged at the older level. And i was.
Third time is the charm, thank you for your encouragement! In case anyone has this issues, I had to call this number (801)468-4000 to get an agent who was able to apply my certificate.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Third time is the charm, thank you for your encouragement! In case anyone has this issues, I had to call this number (801)468-4000 to get an agent who was able to apply my certificate.
Interesting as that was the number I called today to extend my free night certificate. She asked me which one I wanted to extend, the visa credit card or the mega bonus.
When I called the other MR number a few months back, the agent told me that only CC ones can be extended. Mega ones are not elegible for extensions.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:00 am

Quick question - apologies if this answer is elsewhere... When booking a rewards stay, should the points to be debited immediately on booking?

Made a booking over the phone, there was some confusion and now i've got a booking and all my points!

I'll just stay quiet?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by shadowline
Quick question - apologies if this answer is elsewhere... When booking a rewards stay, should the points to be debited immediately on booking?

Made a booking over the phone, there was some confusion and now i've got a booking and all my points!

I'll just stay quiet?
That's happened to me. They eventually take the points. I think it's because of how Marriott redeems points for an e-certificate which is then applied to the reservation.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Is this the new Flyertalk format that abbreviates the thread titles? What the heck is the point of that? I have to click on them to see what the thread is...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
i apologize if this has been asked before in this thread but a search did not yield one.

I read that the maximum points you could purchase in a year is 50k. I also read the maximum you can be gifted is 50k per year. I also understand that either transaction will count as points toward Lifetime status.

Where I am vague is if you can both purchase and be gifted points and receive more than 50k combined in a year. Any guidance is appreciated as I am trying to make the LTP before August 1 deadline. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Marriott Website - Compare Rates

Is there a way to compare rates on Marriott's website, similar to SPG? I'd like to see a grid of cash rate, points rate, cash + points, and maybe a special code rate. SPG's site is so clean and easy to do this. With Marriott, I feel like I need to click back and forth and this is impossible? Am I missing something?
Not impressed with Marriott so far.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:35 pm

Sadly, you're not missing anything. Welcome to Marriott!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:54 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Do I earn points with extra purchases in the hotel like breakfast, dinner and shopping? I stayed for 4 nights at Courtyard by Marriott using 7500 per night, 2 of my nights are already posted but I don't see the points for extra purchases.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Do I earn points with extra purchases in the hotel like breakfast, dinner and shopping? I stayed for 4 nights at Courtyard by Marriott using 7500 per night, 2 of my nights are already posted but I don't see the points for extra purchases.
Not on extras at Courtyards as well as Gaylord’s as I just found out after my award stay posted at 0.
Starting in August we will receive at all the hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.