Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Well, this is a tad annoying...

I sent an email about 6 weeks ago about status match to another program, and have patiently waited for the reply which came today declining the status match.

I was told about the Gold Challenge, literally 2 days after just completing what would have been 2 stays towards the 6 stays required for Gold... *Harumph*
If a person has a US Amex Platinum card, it gets the person SPG Gold status. That is essentially Marriott Gold status if you just link the accounts.

But that is for people who qualify for the card in the US. For those who don't have much in the way of a US credit report, it's not going to fly so easily unless becoming an authorized user on someone else's US Amex Platinum account.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If a person has a US Amex Platinum card, it gets the person SPG Gold status. That is essentially Marriott Gold status if you just link the accounts.

But that is for people who qualify for the card in the US. For those who don't have much in the way of a US credit report, it's not going to fly so easily unless becoming an authorized user on someone else's US Amex Platinum account.
I, thankfully, have no US connections.

I will have to pursue non-US avenues.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
I can't speak to the CC as I don't have theirs myself...but I have done their status challenge to jump up a tier. I would absolutely recommend it if you're sure you'll get the required number of stays (i think it's 6 for gold, 12 for platinum, can't remember the last one).

The process is simple, just call into the customer service number in your profile and tell them you wanted to do a status challenge. they'll only let you jump one-tier, and you can't do another challenge for a year.

also don't forget you can book meetings (short and cheap ones too) and get night credits that way. you can put a HUGE dent in your night requirements by doing that.

Last edited by obunewbie17; Oct 9, 2017 at 9:45 am Reason: fix an answer
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:03 am

Anyone have the experience for 18 night plat challenge for Marriott? Saw in other forum, people get 18 night plat challenge by email. As I will have 4 stay with 13 night in December, I think it will be easier to have 5 nights instead of 5 stays
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by obunewbie17
I can't speak to the CC as I don't have theirs myself...but I have done their status challenge to jump up a tier. I would absolutely recommend it if you're sure you'll get the required number of stays (i think it's 6 for gold, 12 for platinum, can't remember the last one).
6 stays for gold
9 stays for platinum
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by CX30616
Anyone have the experience for 18 night plat challenge for Marriott? Saw in other forum, people get 18 night plat challenge by email. As I will have 4 stay with 13 night in December, I think it will be easier to have 5 nights instead of 5 stays
Are you sure you aren't referring to the SPG Platinum Challenge:

Offer: Members must register by December 31, 2017, and choose a consecutive three-month (3-month) earning period (the "Challenge Period") from the options provided at time of registration. For example, if a member registers in February 2017, the Challenge Period options from which to choose are: January-March 2017, February-April 2017 or March-May 2017. Platinum Status Challenge participants must complete 18 Eligible Paid Nights at hotels and resorts that participate in the SPG program within their Challenge Period. Gold Status Challenge participants must have nine (9) Eligible Paid Nights within their Challenge Period. SPG Award Nights do not count as Eligible Paid Nights for the purpose of the Status Challenge. Only eligible paid nights consumed within the selected Status Challenge period will count toward the Status Challenge.
That said, now that I see that, as a Marriott Gold, I have automatic SPG Gold match. So does anyone know if I can use the SPG platinum challenge to get SPG platinum and then have that matched back to Marriott Platinum?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
That said, now that I see that, as a Marriott Gold, I have automatic SPG Gold match. So does anyone know if I can use the SPG platinum challenge to get SPG platinum and then have that matched back to Marriott Platinum?
Yes, that would work. As long as your accounts are linked any status in one program automatically gives the corresponding status in the other program.
Doesn't matter how you achieve it.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Yes, that would work. As long as your accounts are linked any status in one program automatically gives the corresponding status in the other program.
Doesn't matter how you achieve it.
More specifically, the higher status in one will be matched in the other.

Also, you will need to match the full requirements and not the difference. So just because you have Gold, does not mean you only need three stays to earn Platinum.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:47 am

Planning on signing up for the platinum challenge.
Is it better for me to complete the platinum challenge in January 2018 or february 2018 if I want it to last the longest period of time?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
Planning on signing up for the platinum challenge.
Is it better for me to complete the platinum challenge in January 2018 or february 2018 if I want it to last the longest period of time?
If you do it now and complete the required number of stays your status would also be valid to January 2019. So it's actually better to do it now than to wait to Jan or Feb. (as long as you can make the required 9 stays in a 3 month period that is)
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If you do it now and complete the required number of stays your status would also be valid to January 2019. So it's actually better to do it now than to wait to Jan or Feb. (as long as you can make the required 9 stays in a 3 month period that is)
Actually, I would expect if the challenge is completed in 2018, status would be through 2018 & 2019, ending Feb 2020. Whereas if completed in 2017, it would end Feb 2019. That is presuming there is not a special condition on the challenge shortening the status life compared to earning it via normal nights.

I'm not sure if they will use the year in which the final qualifying stay occurs or when the challenge was scheduled to end.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:06 pm

I thought when you complete it, you get that year and all of the following year? So if I completed it January 5th, 2018 that I would get it all of 2018 and 2019 with expiration on feb 2020?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
I thought when you complete it, you get that year and all of the following year? So if I completed it January 5th, 2018 that I would get it all of 2018 and 2019 with expiration on feb 2020?
Kind of... theres a cut off for hotels. I think it was July or something.
So if you earn your status after July you will get it for the rest of the current year and all of the following year. but if you earn it too early it will only be the current year. I cant remember the cut off. It was something along those lines.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Kind of... theres a cut off for hotels. I think it was July or something.
So if you earn your status after July you will get it for the rest of the current year and all of the following year. but if you earn it too early it will only be the current year. I cant remember the cut off. It was something along those lines.
I would think it's the end of February, as that's when status ends. So ideally earning it in March for the longest benefit.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by viracocha
I would think it's the end of February, as that's when status ends. So ideally earning it in March for the longest benefit.
It could be. I just don't remember. Makes sense if it was end of feb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.