Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Got mine today also and the new card is nicer looking than the old card IMHO
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Got mine Wednesday.. and yes, very nice looking card!
Pity I can not think where it would actually be useful for..
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Love the new platinum card design!
What's different about it? I've got a LT so it might be different. Mine's just a boring Platinum gray.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Card is 2 tone platinum nice looking. Lifetime is only noted if you did not reach your lifetime benefit level.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What's different about it?

Top 2/3 looks like brushed aluminum. Bottom 1/3 is very dark grey. Very classy!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What's different about it? I've got a LT so it might be different. Mine's just a boring Platinum gray.

Cheers.
That's what's different. Bottom 1/3 (with name, number, date) solid black with white lettering. Thin white line separating that from the dark (Platinum?) brushed-metallic upper portion with Platinum Elite resting on the divider and Marriott Rewards logo in the upper right corner. VERY classy looking.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sounds nice. Haven't received mine yet either.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:40 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
although very familiar w Chase Visa CCs, your reference to Ultimate Rewards website is unknown, but IMO, the answer to your question is who do you pay, Chase or the hotel itself????????????
I pay Chase points to Chase, and I believe Chase pays the hotel in cash.
It's not a conversion of Chase points to Marriott Rewards points to redeem with Marriott, but a booking directly using Chase points on the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel website (which is like the "captive travel agent" Chase uses to book travel rewards using Chase points).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
It's not a conversion of Chase points to Marriott Rewards points to redeem with Marriott, but a booking directly using Chase points on the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel website (which is like the "captive travel agent" Chase uses to book travel rewards using Chase points).
I would check in the credit card section and ask this query with regard to those who are knowledgable about the program. Inasmuch as Chase also works with Hyatt on their credit card, you may wish to ask this specific question in the Hyatt forum, as well.

Actually, this is also one instance where a separate thread and new title is in order here -- appending this to the taste of Gold thread is not going to get many eyes on in who may have the answer to your specific question.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I keep all of my cards, new and old, in a drawer at home. One of these days I planned to take a bunch of them and put them under glass on top of a table or perhaps even a bar. It might make a nice conversation piece.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Got my new Ritz Carlton Platinum card about two weeks ago. Nothing to see here - looks exactly the same as the last one. All black with a silver stripe across the bottom
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Could someone toss up a picture?

Haven't received mine yet. Sounds nice, at least now it won't look like a room key.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by kanerf
I keep all of my cards, new and old, in a drawer at home. One of these days I planned to take a bunch of them and put them under glass on top of a table or perhaps even a bar. It might make a nice conversation piece.
Or turn them into a dress and wear it to the Oscars.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Unlike airline tickets which can be booked from 3rd party sites and you still earn miles as long as the airlines are paid with real currency (Chase pays airline with its own credit card), hotel chains seem universally make 3rd party prepaid booking not eligible for any credit.

My gut feeling is your stay from redeeming UR points would NOT earn you anything - hotels would treat it as a prepaid stay from Expedia or Priceline or whatever site where you prepaid your hotel stays. Only your incidental spending during your stay would earn anything.

The only time you would earn stay credit and points thru 3rd party booking would be a stay that is paid at the hotel at check out, not something already prepaid (in your case you prepaid Chase with your UR pts, or point redemption, and then Chase paid Marriott with its CC.)

So if you really want to use point redemption but also want to earn stay credit to qualify promotion, the workaround is to redeem Marriott Travel Card if Chase UR reward offers such. Book your stay DIRECTLY on Marriott site. Then pay your stay with the travel card at check out. This stay would then be a qualified stay and earns everything it entitles to. I did this all the time with Citi's TYP redemption - 10K TYP for $100 Marriott Travel Card which while the terms said non-commissionable and not earn stay credit - in all reality and practical purposes, hotels process it as Gift Cards and you earn stay credit and points.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by drewzilla
Could someone toss up a picture?

Haven't received mine yet. Sounds nice, at least now it won't look like a room key.
Definitely looks better than the old version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.