Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Octleaf
Hello everyone. Just called Marriott reward customer service and they told me that the rules have changed and you need 50 nights for old status. I'm new to this, but it seems not right. Could anyone please confirm this?
50 nights is the normal requirement for qualification of Gold status. So if for some reason you are not "allowed" the taste of Gold promotion, that would indeed be the requirement.

I would hang up and call again and ask for the taste of Gold promotion.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Octleaf
Hello everyone. Just called Marriott reward customer service and they told me that the rules have changed and you need 50 nights for old status. I'm new to this, but it seems not right. Could anyone please confirm this?
There is a difference between the Gold/Platinum Challenge/Promotion and the number of nights required to acheive the status without the promotion and the maintain the status.
50 nights is the number of nights needed to get to Gold and the maintain it every year.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:37 pm

Will Marriott match status?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
i was signed up for Platinum Challenge and made my 9 stays in about 6 weeks (completed 3 days ago).

Is there anyway I can see on the marriott web site that the challenge was completed (with a platinum expiration date) and I am now Platinum for a year or so? If so, how long does it take to register?

Yes, I could call, but I like to see it in print.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Is there anyway I can see on the marriott web site that the challenge was completed (with a platinum expiration date) and I am now Platinum for a year or so? If so, how long does it take to register?
I don't think you can see it online but they will send you a new card in the post with the new expiration date. This usually takes a few weeks.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
50 nights is the number of nights needed to get to Gold...
No necessarily. But in most cases, yes.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:46 am
jk2

I signed for Platinum Challenge in July (expires on October 31) and completed 6 stays so far. I reviewed my possible hotel stays in the next year and so far I will have only 1 trip (5 night) where Marriott hotel (full service property) will be involved. I can make 3 stays (mattress run) and it will cost ~$250 in total, but now I don't really sure if it is worth to do (in terms of $$$). Is it really stupid to stop now? Another question - I know that Gold challenge is 6 stays, do you think I can ask Marriott to switch me from Platinum Challenge to Gold challenge, which means for me no more mattress run.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jk2
I signed for Platinum Challenge in July (expires on October 31) and completed 6 stays so far. I reviewed my possible hotel stays in the next year and so far I will have only 1 trip (5 night) where Marriott hotel (full service property) will be involved. I can make 3 stays (mattress run) and it will cost ~$250 in total, but now I don't really sure if it is worth to do (in terms of $$$). Is it really stupid to stop now? Another question - I know that Gold challenge is 6 stays, do you think I can ask Marriott to switch me from Platinum Challenge to Gold challenge, which means for me no more mattress run.
How many total nights have you stayed since you started your Plat challenge ?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I don't they will allow you to change to Gold instead, my friend just tried and got rejected. No harm to email them though.

I would suggest you to do hotel-hop for your upcoming 5nights stay, just search for another Marriott family hotels in that area=) If you spend your 1st 2nights at hotel A, then 2nights at hotel B and then back to hotel A for your last night, you will have 3stays=)

Regards.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:12 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
I don't they will allow you to change to Gold instead, my friend just tried and got rejected. No harm to email them though.

I would suggest you to do hotel-hop for your upcoming 5nights stay, just search for another Marriott family hotels in that area=) If you spend your 1st 2nights at hotel A, then 2nights at hotel B and then back to hotel A for your last night, you will have 3stays=)

Regards.
It would be super, but this "official" upcoming trip will be next year (in March)...

I call Marriott and test my luck with switching to Gold Challenge. I am not sure that (for me) it would be wise to spend ~$300 to make quick mattress runs just to have Platinum status next year and only use this benefit once (or twice).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by jk2
It would be super, but this "official" upcoming trip will be next year (in March)...

I call Marriott and test my luck with switching to Gold Challenge. I am not sure that (for me) it would be wise to spend ~$300 to make quick mattress runs just to have Platinum status next year and only use this benefit once (or twice).
Of course they will turn you down to change your challenge to Gold, otherwise there is no point for Gold Challenge

When Mr. Nacho did his Gold Challenge, he lacked 2 nights and he couldn't extend the period. We talked about how much Gold worth and we decided that we wouldn't spend unnecessary $ just to get Gold. Fortunately we got a trip and stayed at CY and Mr. Nacho made it.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jk2

If you only have a couple of stays next year, and don't anticipate a lot more, I would be hard pressed to be convinced that $300 would be worth the bonus points and arrival gift.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FearFree
If you only have a couple of stays next year, and don't anticipate a lot more, I would be hard pressed to be convinced that $300 would be worth the bonus points and arrival gift.
It's not just the bonus points and arrival gift though. Since jk2 is currently not Gold, finishing the Platinum challenge would lead to free Internet and lounge access (plus the 50% bonus points and the arrival gift). This may or may not be worth the $300. I think a lot depends on the hotel where jk2 is going to stay in March.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tbm13
It's not just the bonus points and arrival gift though. Since jk2 is currently not Gold, finishing the Platinum challenge would lead to free Internet and lounge access (plus the 50% bonus points and the arrival gift). This may or may not be worth the $300. I think a lot depends on the hotel where jk2 is going to stay in March.
Good point, I didn't think about the Gold benefits that they wouldn't get either. I suppose if it were an overseas FS property with complimentary booze in the lounge, $15/day (or more) for internet, etc (and a long enough stay), one could save $300 in the process.

Or maybe I'm the only one who could drink $300 worth of free lounge liquor in a week
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It really depends on where you are going, internet is free for all MR members in Asia Pacific region. So if you are mainly staying in AP area, then the only thing you are buying is lounge access.

Again it really depending on how many nights you are planning on staying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.