Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I didn't get a 'challenge offer' but an offer for Plat Renewal.

Thanks ED!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Elite Membership Renewal Profile as of September 15, 2012
37 Current Room Nights
38 Room Nights Needed to Renew Platinum Elite Membership Status

A Special Opportunity

Dear BarryL:

As a way to thank you for staying with us this past year, we'll renew your Platinum status with fewer nights. If you stay with us just 20 more nights between October 1 and December 31, 2012, you'll maintain your Platinum status through February 2014, which means you'll continue to enjoy:
• Guaranteed lounge access at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® hotels or Marriott® hotels (excluding resorts)
• Guaranteed Platinum arrival gift
• 48-hour guaranteed room availability
• Complimentary high-speed Internet access
• 50% bonus on Marriott Rewards® points

The best part? You're already registered, so all you have to think about is where you'll stay next. Book today, and take advantage of this special opportunity.

Sincerely,

Ed French
Senior Vice President
Marriott Rewards

Participating brands include JW Marriott, EDITION®, Autograph Collection Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, AC Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott Hotels & Resorts®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites® and Marriott Vacation Club.®

Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
I had never used Marriott properties, but had 49 paid stays in the past 4 months with Hilton. I sent my HHonors statement and was offered gold status, 6 stays before Jan 31 to keep it, or 9 stays to make plat
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
but lately the challenges available have ONLY been based on stays............ here you got offered the old-way of nights, so depending on what the next few months looks like nights might be better then stays (or vice-versa)............

Originally Posted by BarryL
I didn't get a 'challenge offer' but an offer for Plat Renewal.

Thanks ED!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Elite Membership Renewal Profile as of September 15, 2012
37 Current Room Nights
38 Room Nights Needed to Renew Platinum Elite Membership Status

A Special Opportunity

Dear BarryL:

As a way to thank you for staying with us this past year, we'll renew your Platinum status with fewer nights. If you stay with us just 20 more nights between October 1 and December 31, 2012, you'll maintain your Platinum status through February 2014, which means you'll continue to enjoy:
• Guaranteed lounge access at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® hotels or Marriott® hotels (excluding resorts)
• Guaranteed Platinum arrival gift
• 48-hour guaranteed room availability
• Complimentary high-speed Internet access
• 50% bonus on Marriott Rewards® points

The best part? You're already registered, so all you have to think about is where you'll stay next. Book today, and take advantage of this special opportunity.

Sincerely,

Ed French
Senior Vice President
Marriott Rewards

Participating brands include JW Marriott, EDITION®, Autograph Collection Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, AC Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott Hotels & Resorts®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn & Suites®, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites® and Marriott Vacation Club.®

Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
Notification of Platinum Challenge Completed?

I signed up for the Platinum Challenge and will hit stay #9 in CLE next week. Can I expect confrimation that I have completed the challenge? WIll my account reflect a new status expiration date?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by fujiteam
I signed up for the Platinum Challenge and will hit stay #9 in CLE next week. Can I expect confrimation that I have completed the challenge? WIll my account reflect a new status expiration date?
Immediately upon completion of the program I got nothing. I ended up calling the rewards desk and verifying with them that I had successfully completed it. Three to four weeks later I received a letter in the mail along with my platinum card, etc...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
^
Originally Posted by Jonas36
Immediately upon completion of the program I got nothing. I ended up calling the rewards desk and verifying with them that I had successfully completed it. Three to four weeks later I received a letter in the mail along with my platinum card, etc...
Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:37 pm

I just spoke with customer service on the phone and got signed up for the platinum challenge but was given the option of staying 18 nights instead of 9 stays. Maybe they gave me that option since I already had a 25 night reservation in Sydney.
I was expecting to have to argue with them to give me the night option instead of the stay requirement, but I didn't even have to bring it up.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WooPoo
I just spoke with customer service on the phone and got signed up for the platinum challenge but was given the option of staying 18 nights instead of 9 stays. Maybe they gave me that option since I already had a 25 night reservation in Sydney.
I was expecting to have to argue with them to give me the night option instead of the stay requirement, but I didn't even have to bring it up.
You'll make Plat without a problem then. Enjoy it.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Do LNF Rates Count?

I read through several pages of this thread, but could not find a quick answer. Do stays made using LNF rates count towards nights needed to achieve a challenge? Thanks in advance for assistance in getting my question answered.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
don't know where/what you've read................couldn't be very much as this question has been asked and responded to numerous times and the answer hasn't changed.................it's still yes..............

[QUOTE=mastermc54;19495665]I read through several pages of this thread, but could not find a quick answer. Do stays made using LNF rates count towards nights needed to achieve a challenge? [QUOTE]
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks...I am on a mobile phone which won't let me search within a thread & went back 10+ pages starting from the last page. I knew the question has probably been addressed & I hoped a fellow Flyertalker could help me out quicker after spending 10 minutes without any luck. Regardless, I appreciate the quick response & help.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: United
will rooms booked with a corporate/govt rate count towards a platinum/gold challenge?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Corporate will (at least it does for me)
Government I am not so sure about
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Government rates

Originally Posted by mindrisa
Corporate will (at least it does for me)
Government I am not so sure about
Yes stays with government rates do count towards the challenge. I just fulfilled the Gold challenge using nothing but gov. rates.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:25 pm

Hello everyone. Just called Marriott reward customer service and they told me that the rules have changed and you need 50 nights for old status. I'm new to this, but it seems not right. Could anyone please confirm this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.