Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
So, I used to be a Marriott silver but haven't traveled much for work this year. My fiance and I have 4 stays coming up at Marriotts (CY and FS Marriott), and I was considering signing up for the Gold challenge, figuring I could pick up 2 more days sometime before the end of the year. Assuming they agree to sign me up for the 'Taste of Gold', I only have one issue. We are hotel hopping for our 4 stays over one long weekend to maximize the Megabonus for the two free nights, and 2 of stays are booked as LNFs under my MR#, and 2 of them are booked on LNF rates on her MR#. We originally did this because she is a new member and we'd get the referral bonus. Are there any issues with changing the two nights reserved under her # to mine? Will that affect the LNF rate at all? Her stays are both booked at full service Marriotts, while mine are at Courtyards, so it'd be nice to have Gold at the Marriott also. I'm sure we have a better shot at upgrade if they have my # on the reservation before we arrive. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Majikow
Are there any issues with changing the two nights reserved under her # to mine? Will that affect the LNF rate at all?
Yes, LNF rates are fixed once it has been modified by Marriott. If you want to do it the best way is file a claim under your name and cancel yours afterwards. It's not easy to change MR number on a reservation, even if it's not LNF rate. THe best would probably be to call MR CS to ask them if it's possible.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CalItalian
To get my 18 nights this summer, I stayed at the Renaissance Las Vegas (twice for a total of 12 nights - upgraded to top club floor both times), Fairfield Inn Old Town San Diego (1 night - 3rd floor, main building courtyard view), JW Camelback Inn Scottsdale (3 nights - upgraded to a large room with a 1000' sq. ft. private patio), Renaissance Indian Wells (2 nights - preassigned a corner room). I was upgrade or pre-assigned the best room everytime without asking (Indian Wells even emailed me 3 days before my stay that I was being upgraded to a corner room by the concierge). I was always recognized as Platinum at check-in. Always asked what amenity I wanted at check-in. All were on LNF rates. I found Marriott to be totally consistent (and I got a nice platinum amenity bag at check-in even at the Fairfield Inn...much more than the hand made package of gummi bears that I got at the Staybridge Suites NYC at as Platinum elite in May).
It's great that you are lucky enough to get all the perks. I do hear that JW Camelback doesn't recognise some FTers' elite status.

This is the part that I don't like - hotel don't treat all elites in the same way. For the IHG hotels I stayed at - they have a set policy for treating elites, such as CP CPH - a standard for Plat is lounge access + large corner room as upgrade - and I didn't get it once and at check in they seriouly apologised for that. I stayed there 3 Mondays in 1 month and I got the exact same treatment.

There are a few Marriotts I stay at are consistent with elite treatment, but I haven't experienced enough of them to really say that are better than IHGs.

I might try those properties you mentioned since I'm doing a driving trip from LAX to PHX in Feb.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majikow
So, I used to be a Marriott silver but haven't traveled much for work this year. My fiance and I have 4 stays coming up at Marriotts (CY and FS Marriott), and I was considering signing up for the Gold challenge, figuring I could pick up 2 more days sometime before the end of the year. Assuming they agree to sign me up for the 'Taste of Gold', I only have one issue. We are hotel hopping for our 4 stays over one long weekend to maximize the Megabonus for the two free nights, and 2 of stays are booked as LNFs under my MR#, and 2 of them are booked on LNF rates on her MR#. We originally did this because she is a new member and we'd get the referral bonus. Are there any issues with changing the two nights reserved under her # to mine? Will that affect the LNF rate at all? Her stays are both booked at full service Marriotts, while mine are at Courtyards, so it'd be nice to have Gold at the Marriott also. I'm sure we have a better shot at upgrade if they have my # on the reservation before we arrive. Any guidance would be appreciated.
If you add your name to her present reservation, you should then be able to specify to the front desk at check-in that it is you and your Marriott number that should earn the points on the reservation.

I personally have not done this as I have not found myself in your sort of predicament, but from being on this board for quite some time, a number of posters have been able to do this and it seems to be an easier effort than again fliling a LNF claim that may or may not be approved as the initial qualifying rate may no longer be available.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
If you add your name to her present reservation, you should then be able to specify to the front desk at check-in that it is you and your Marriott number that should earn the points on the reservation.
Hi, NJ, how to add a second guest's name on reservation? Do we add it under 'company name' column as I have seen some FTers told about it? Or do we have to contact the customer service? Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Contacted MR Customer Service today and they indeed did enroll me in the "Taste of Gold" promotion.

I was informed that this can be done without my knowledge or expressed consent. The decision is taken by MR team based on member's activity.

Had no idea that this promotion could be simply assigned without member registration.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Geesh, I thought this thread was for Gold/Platinum Challenge discussion. All this talk about LNF should probably be moved over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rsion-brg.html
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by plagwate
Geesh, I thought this thread was for Gold/Platinum Challenge discussion. All this talk about LNF should probably be moved over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rsion-brg.html
If you read more carefully before jumping to conclusions, they are talking about Gold/Platinum Challenge.
It's just that some of their reservations are made under LNF rates and they want them to count for the challenge (with or without changing the name on reservation)
Geesh
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi, NJ, how to add a second guest's name on reservation? Do we add it under 'company name' column as I have seen some FTers told about it? Or do we have to contact the customer service? Thanks a lot.
You can only add another name to the reservation by calling reservations and asking them to add it.

Good luck!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulchili

Geesh
^
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:36 pm

Called Customer Service and requested the Platinum Challenge. The representative was happy to enroll me -- standard 9 stays in 3 months offer. Have been Diamond Hyatt and SPG Platinum in the past, but looking forward to trying Marriott on for size.

FF
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, Enterprise
Get miles instead of points during Platinum challenge?

I'm doing the MR platinum challenge so right now I'm platinum now and for the rest of the year I will be. I'm wondering about switching my MR earning preference to miles since I'm not too far from going gold medallion on Delta and the Marriott points accumulation won't affect my platinum challenge. Are there any downsides to this? During the challenge I have to complete 9 stays (not nights, but stays) and so I'm thinking the skymiles boost might be the way to go since I'm already temporarily platinum. You all are much more versed in these things so I'd love your feedback. What do you think?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: some
I emailed customer service and apparently, if you are a new member and have only a few reservations, you don't get a taste of gold or platinum, but only silver :-(
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scheitan
I emailed customer service and apparently, if you are a new member and have only a few reservations, you don't get a taste of gold or platinum, but only silver :-(
If you have high elite status in another program, advise them you can send them proof of such status and they may decide otherwise. If not, it is entirely appropriate to deny you from such promotions.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I had only 2 stays and 3 nights at Marriott before taste of Platinum. I called first and was told it's invitation only without them checking my account/activity at all. I did mention I had highest status on couple of other hotel programs but still "invitation only, bye bye".

I then contacted MR thru their website and they were happy to enroll me. I don't remember if I mentioned my status on other programs then but anyway, it's very inconsistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.