Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
signed on today, took all of 2 minutes.

tried earlier this year but couldn't due to one of the "phantom" instances of a previous gold challenge in early 2011.

It'll be a stretch, but I'm hoping for the 18 by end of July.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 am

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
The mail I got for the "Taste of Gold" promotion says about 6 "stays" needed and not "nights". I have a couple of nights stays planned, and assumed from the mail they would count as one "stay" each.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:22 pm

I am taking Taste of platinum challenge now and i stayed 6 paid nights at marriott. Also i had to conduct one meeting, for this even i got 10 nights credit. Does 10 night credit will count towards my promotion?

Can any one please answer, Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kvmcd
I am taking Taste of platinum challenge now and i stayed 6 paid nights at marriott. Also i had to conduct one meeting, for this even i got 10 nights credit. Does 10 night credit will count towards my promotion?
This has been asked before but nobody responded. You may want to call Marriott and ask. If you do, please post their response here.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Thanks to FT

Thanks to FT. I have challenged for Plat and stayed for more than 30 days. I got the confirmation that I will be plat until Jan '14. the sweet deal is that I signed for MegaBonus as well and got the whole Bonus. Without FT i dont think i could have achieved this. Thanks to all FT members who contributed for this info.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:33 am

Clarifications regarding Marriott Gold/Platinum challenge

There has been a lot of information about the Gold and Platinum challenges on this forum. Unfortunately, there's some contradictory information regarding some details of this challenge. I wanted to point out two clarifications based on my personal experience with the challenge:

1) It's often said that the challenge is "X nights in 90" days. In reality, it would appear that you have all of the current month plus three more months in order to get the number of nights needed. In other words, if you apply on April 1st, you'd get all of April plus three more months, i.e. until the end of July. If you applied on the last day of April, you'd also have until the end of July.

2) I read that you can request a challenge every 12 months. Based on some recent experience, I would say that it is 12 months after your last challenge ended (rather than 12 months from requesting a challenge, which is what I've been reading on this forum).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tbm13
There has been a lot of information about the Gold and Platinum challenges on this forum. Unfortunately, there's some contradictory information regarding some details of this challenge. I wanted to point out two clarifications based on my personal experience with the challenge:

1) It's often said that the challenge is "X nights in 90" days. In reality, it would appear that you have all of the current month plus three more months in order to get the number of nights needed. In other words, if you apply on April 1st, you'd get all of April plus three more months, i.e. until the end of July. If you applied on the last day of April, you'd also have until the end of July.

2) I read that you can request a challenge every 12 months. Based on some recent experience, I would say that it is 12 months after your last challenge ended (rather than 12 months from requesting a challenge, which is what I've been reading on this forum).

Both of your statements are correct as I specifically asked these questions when taking my challenge.

I should add, however, that I am unsure that asking on the first of the month results in essentially 4 months to complete the challenge (it might result in just 3 months) -- however, asking on the second of the month definitely permits 4 months within which to complete the challenge -- whichever one you select.

NJ
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:39 pm

Just signed up for this.... lets see how it goes.... 3 night down already and have until July to finish em up
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott
Taking platinum after gold challenge

Having read all of the above posts in the thread (apologise if I skimmed the answer somewhere), I was wondering how soon after I complete the Gold challenge I can ask to take the Platinum Challenge (if it's relevant it's the one which I have been put on automatically - 6 stays April to June 2012).

I'm not entirely sure whether having taken the Gold Challenge (which I was automatically enrolled to) procludes me from taking the platinum challenge this Summer / Autumn (when I should be staying more than 18 nights) or whether Gold and Platinum are viewed separately from the 12 month rule perspective.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:54 pm

Q : If I take up a platinum elite challenge but in the end I only managed to stay for 15 nights, is it possible for me to request for a gold status upgrade after the challenge period?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
no

Originally Posted by kvmcd

Can any one please answer, Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mattwool
I'm not entirely sure whether having taken the Gold Challenge (which I was automatically enrolled to) procludes me from taking the platinum challenge this Summer / Autumn (when I should be staying more than 18 nights) or whether Gold and Platinum are viewed separately from the 12 month rule perspective.
Marriott's system will only allow them to put in a Platinum challenge 12 months after the end of your Gold challenge. When you call Marriott the agent might however offer to track the challenge manually, i.e. check after three months if you had 18 nights and then upgrade you to Platinum.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:54 am

I have a stay starting on the 2nd of the month. I would really like to have it for 4 months (the rest of that month and the 3 after). Is there a lag is having it applied or am I really best staying it safe and enrolling the previous month?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did this yesterday for a colleague, what I was told was:

1 - takes 24 hours to go in effect
2 - covers the rest of the month + 3 more months = yesterday goes until 7/31
3 - once you meet the 18 nights, it is good for the rest of this year and next membership year! This part is a little surprising to me
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:12 pm

Thanks.

I should've clarified that this is for the 2nd of June so it's a Saturday so not sure how the 24 hours thing works then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.