Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Choice Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Best Western Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite lifetime member
Elegibility to change between Gold/Platinum challenges

I just got off the phone with the Elite line. They said the current promotion differs from all previous "Taste of Gold/Platinum" challenges of years past. You can ONLY select Gold if you have less than 25 nights stays in the current period. IF you have more than 25 nights stay; but less than 50 (gold level) you will be eligible for the Platinum Challenge. If you are current Gold member; you are also eligible for the Platinum challenge. I qualified for the Gold challenge and was automatically enrolled; and was told there was no way for me to change to the Platinum challenge; since I have only stayed 19 nights this period so far.

Hope that helps some other people not have to wait on hold for 20 minutes for nothing!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Thumbs up

Just got it done. Simply send e mail, got response on next working day, and had to formally accept in writing. Took 1 day to show.

Thank you, I would have missed this without your post^
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was automatically enrolled. I called to get the promotion period changed since I had stays in March but the promotion period was for April thru June. After a bunch of fiddling, I was told I had already qualified for Gold thru 2014 (I think February of 2014 but that could be wrong). At the time, I had only 13 nights for the year--though I had another 12 or so booked over the next two months.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum (OWE) VA Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
You can also call the toll free no. for UK, but personally I like to communicate through e-mail because you can get a proof that you are signed up.
Thanks, they have signed me up for platinum challenge on Ritz Carlton.

Have 6 nights next week, so that will be a good start.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Called on Monday to be enrolled in Plat. challenge. The rep was very nice and said that she could enroll me but manually and that she would notate my account. She said that after I completed my nights by the end of June that I would have to call back in and she would manually upgrade me to Plat. This seemed very odd to me. Should I call back in and play CSR roulette? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's weird because normally they upgrade you to Plat as soon as you signed up for challenge.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
I thought it was weird as well based on this thread and others about the Plat challenge. I will hit the nights requirement easily but was hoping to be Plat to hit the extra 25% in points since I'll be spending around $3,000 over the next couple months in hotels. I think I'm going to call back a couple weeks before my next stay. Something doesn't seem right based on others' experiences.

Last edited by RMPearl; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:40 am
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:41 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Had seen my account already indicating gold status while checking early this week for a recent Marriott's stay (still not posted) . Received today a "You've Been Upgraded" mail, unsollicited, to gold status through June 30 , with the 6 stays challenge , April 1 thru June 30, for gold status till Feb 2014. Promotion and status benefits looks good enough to divert 6 Q2 stays to Marriott , with 3 already booked . Three other easily done. Past this , who knows, 10 - 15 nites per year possible , 50 nites for gold highly unlikey. With my travel patterns, can't afford putting most of my stays in one basket.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:51 am

Hi, I'm totally new and had just newly singed up for the marriott rewards program...My parents and I are planning for a trip to Hong Kong on 23 August. I have a few questions.

Am I qualified to enroll in the gold elite challenge?

So, if I book tomorrow a reservation that require prepaid full payment, then register for the gold challenge on 1 August, will I have the gold status benefits during my stay?

If I signed up my parents for the rewards program and the elite challenge, but they will be sharing the same room with me and the room will be booked under my name, can they have the benifits of gold status during our stay, like the access to the lounge and have free breakfast etc?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
I couldn't find it in the thread. Does anyone know if the 15 nights we get from the Marriott reward card count towards this promotion? They are posted every year to our account, but I was unsure if it meant I had to do an additional 18 nights on top of what I already had.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by pooker
I couldn't find it in the thread. Does anyone know if the 15 nights we get from the Marriott reward card count towards this promotion? They are posted every year to our account, but I was unsure if it meant I had to do an additional 18 nights on top of what I already had.
That's a good question. I got the Taste of Gold challenge, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the 12 stays by the end of June. If I can get that credit card and those nights count, that would be pretty sweet.

Edit: Unless someone confirms that they do NOT count, I will probably apply for the card in the next few days. Says nights post 6-8 weeks after opening date, so that should give me just enough time.

Last edited by penner42; Mar 25, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:55 pm

Hi, I'm totally new and had just newly singed up for the marriott rewards program...My parents and I are planning for a trip to Hong Kong on 23 August. I have a few questions.

So, if I book tomorrow a reservation that require prepaid full payment, then register for the gold challenge on 1 August, will I have the gold status benefits during my stay?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by pooker
I'm pretty sure the nights from the credit card do not count toward the promotion.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong

If I signed up my parents for the rewards program and the elite challenge, but they will be sharing the same room with me and the room will be booked under my name, can they have the benifits of gold status during our stay, like the access to the lounge and have free breakfast etc?
As far as I know, *any* member is qualified to enroll in the gold challenge. Apparently, when some people have called, some customer service reps have said that they do not qualify for whatever reason. If you get that line when you call, hang up and try again until you get a CSR who will give it to you. Apparently though, the rules may have changed recently. I personally do not know for sure (I only know how it worked at the time that I did it), but it's always worth your time to try again if the first CSR does not give it to you.

In any case, if you are accepted for a gold challenge, then yes you should be made gold immediately and have those benefits during the period of the challenge. You may want to ask the CSR to update your pre-existing reservations to reflect your Gold status when you sign up for the challenge. I think it should happen automatically, but it never hurts to be sure.

If your parents are signed up for the challenge, then they will be gold along with you. I am unsure how gold benefits add up when you have more than 2 people to a room. If there are 3 people staying in one room, 2 of which are gold, then maybe you will all 3 get breakfast. Normally, only 2 people get breakfast, but if the extra person is gold, then maybe they get it too. That might be a subject for its own thread where more experienced members could debate it.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by badgerW
I'm pretty sure the nights from the credit card do not count toward the promotion.
No, the credit card nights do not count, nor do award stays. It has to be PAID stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.