Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I finally received "responses" to two emails I sent eight days ago. One from Marriott, one from SPG. They were both form messages that essentially just said "we're working on the various problems, be patient." One incorrectly referred to this as a "lifetime status" issue.

So eight days for basically no response. And of course my status has not been fixed.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have mentioned my story before, but will do so again here.

I was matched as Marriott Gold after linking from Starwood (gold via Amex Platinum) when that became possible in early 2017. Shortly after that I decided to sign up for the 9 stay Platinum challenge with Marriott, figuring correctly that it would be rather painless with gold lounge access, etc. So, as of August 17th this year I had Platinum Status with Marriott through the end of 2018.

I was able to merge my accounts not long after the 18th, giving me roughly 60 combined nights. At first I showed as a regular Platinum member, but on its own the Marriott system upgraded that to PPE a few days later. I'm rather confused myself that if they did that for me automatically, how is it they didn't do it for all other Platinum-via-challenge?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm rather confused myself that if they did that for me automatically, how is it they didn't do it for all other Platinum-via-challenge?
Because this whole thing is one huge cluster.
IAHFlyBoi likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Update: Upgraded to PPE status AFTER picking 5 Elite night Credit

Sooo...I decided that before more errors happen, I better take advantage of the Platinum Bonus Option Gimmick..before I hit PPE, which I would have done within another two weeks. I picked the 5 elite night credit...and much to my surprise my status was "upgraded" to Platinum Premier Elite Status, I had 67 nights, with the additional 5 I'm at 72 and I have 3 nights that yet have to post. Now here's where the systems are totally out of sync. The Marriott iOS app shows me as a PPE with 72 nights, yet the website is showing me as PE with 67 nights, hilarious and sad at the same time.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
I have been checking my status almost every day since Aug 18 with no luck. Checked tonight after not checking this week and was surprised to find the website and mobile app both show Platinum Premier.
I was a MR gold via united airlines status. Around April 2018 completed the Platinum challenge and have been a Platinum until tonight. So far this year I have 46 nights (31 nights from stays + 15 nights from having the chase marriott credit card).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:21 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Soft landing from Platinum Premier Elite? If so, to what? I will barely make 20+ qualifying nights.......& I cannot find anything concrete about this despite thousands of comments on the various nuances of the program! Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by qisu
I have been checking my status almost every day since Aug 18 with no luck. Checked tonight after not checking this week and was surprised to find the website and mobile app both show Platinum Premier.
If you have done Platinum challenge on Marriott side and not SPG, you should have been Platinum Premier on August 18. Strange they fixed your status only now.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Is there an updated challenge post-merger? Ill lose Platinum since United is now only Gold but I'd love to get the Plat lounge/breakfast benefit for upcoming stays & I'll have enough nights to presumably fulfill the requirements and get Plat for another year or 2...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:44 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
Soft landing from Platinum Premier Elite? If so, to what? I will barely make 20+ qualifying nights.......& I cannot find anything concrete about this despite thousands of comments on the various nuances of the program! Thanks!
Anyone? Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by NoY
Anyone? Thanks.
Now that Platinum Premier is an official public tier, one would expect the next lowest status to be Platinum. However, since this just happened the middle of this year, no one is going to have any experience to report. And we are talking about what MPG IT might end up doing is up for grabs too. If you do drop below Platinum it would worth a call to ask if they can do better.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
Debating a mattress run for the end of the year, to keep platinum. I just noticed this gold/plat challenge thread.

Has anyone done one of these challenges post merger? Should I do the mattress run, or just try the challenge next year. LTPlat is in reach for me (2-3 years). I really just want to get that over with!

Will they let me do the challenge as a LTGold? Can I do the challenge at all? Can it be started Jan 1?

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:24 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Now that Platinum Premier is an official public tier, one would expect the next lowest status to be Platinum. However, since this just happened the middle of this year, no one is going to have any experience to report. And we are talking about what MPG IT might end up doing is up for grabs too. If you do drop below Platinum it would worth a call to ask if they can do better.
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, fingers crossed a soft landing to Plat, if not, certainly worth a call/email. Its tough when funding all stays out of one's own pocket - no corporate daddy paying my bills I will report back.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
How do you access the Platinum Challenge?

How do you access the Platinum Challenge? Mr Karen2 should have been Lifetime Platinum. He is now Lifetime Gold with 541 nights and shows 8 years as a former Black (50 nights) member. He was an early member of Allegis and stayed at MANY Westins. Not sure what happened to that merge. He traveled internationally on business for 15 years from the beginning of the frequent programs until retirement, being gone from 25% to 50 % of the time. At one time, his whole Marriott account disappeared with a computer glitch. He only cared about getting his status that year as the concept of Lifetime was not on the charts yet. He is having a bear of a time getting his status right now. Sanders says he has to do it through a supervisor at Marriott. Pity. Very hard to get anyone excited over there.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Karen2
How do you access the Platinum Challenge? ....
Suggest reviewing https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...d-threads.html
Appears you have to call Marriott to do this.

As you posted in the UA forum, will move this to the Marriott forum and the Moderators may merge into the challenge thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Platinum Challenge Data Point

I called Marriott today (April 6) and talked to a very helpful agent who enrolled me in the Platinum Challenge in under 5 minutes. I am currently a Silver member, and the agent told me that I have 3 months to complete 16 nights to attain Platinum status. (The Gold Challenge of 8 nights in 3 months is also still available). Interestingly, she specified that I have until July 31 to complete the challenge. I asked her to verify the challenge end date, and she once again confirmed July 31. This would imply one actually has 3 calendar months to complete the challenge. I realize this is a different timeline than other posters experienced. I plan on reaching 16 nights well before July anyway, but I wanted to take a moment to provide a recent data point for those interested in a Marriott status challenge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.