Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by msw423
Platinum Challenges are in theory "once in a lifetime." So consider if you want to get platinum this year. Also, are your 250 nights this year? You should already be platinum.

The actual challenge you are looking for is stay 18 nights in a 3 months.
So a Platinum Challange is "Once in a Lifetime" I want to get Platinum as fast as possible, I have not traveled much in the last 5 years but have maintained Gold by giving up 25K point each year, I was Platinum way back. I was offered the 18 Night Stays in 3 Months for the Challange. I have 250 night total lifetime which isnt much, but since IM going to traveling allot for the next year I figured Platinum would not be a bad option.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by justus1900
So a Platinum Challange is "Once in a Lifetime" I want to get Platinum as fast as possible, I have not traveled much in the last 5 years but have maintained Gold by giving up 25K point each year, I was Platinum way back. I was offered the 18 Night Stays in 3 Months for the Challange. I have 250 night total lifetime which isnt much, but since IM going to traveling allot for the next year I figured Platinum would not be a bad option.
There's differing reports about whether the challenge is once in a lifetime. Normally status matches or comps are once in a lifetime, challenges usually once per 12 months. But like I said there are different reports out there. Try searching for challenge and you will see all the threads.

Good luck, and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:31 pm

i had a challenge 16 years ago. no status now. i wonder if i can do another challenge.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
i had a challenge 16 years ago. no status now. i wonder if i can do another challenge.
How do you even remember that??
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Did they even have the Marriott Rewards program 16 years ago? I thought they changed the name to Marriott Rewards from the previous Marriott frequent stay program (I can't remember the name) in the late 90's or early 2000's.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was Gold, and on a whim was calling MR for something unrelated and casually said, "Hey, can I have Platinum instead of Gold?"

I was informed they would enroll me in the challenge of 18 stays by Nov 30 and I'll have Platinum until 2013. In addition I was given Platinum within 2 hours during the duration of my challenge.

You may attempt the challenge on an annual basis per the MR agent. Call now and you'll get the remainder of August in addition to Sep-Nov to complete.

Damn shame I had 2 stays 3 nights before I called... They will not backdate at all.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Platinum Challenge: Do Virtuoso Bookings Count?

Title says it all. Do Virtuoso bookings count towards the 18 required nights? The phone agent told me I had to book online at www.marriott.com or call the 800# to get credit for my stays.

I have a feeling that is not 100% accurate, and just wanted to know if anyone knows about Virtuoso bookings (for certain JWM's, RC's, etc...).
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Bump...come on, I know someone has the answer to this.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:22 pm

I've not done it myself, but Virtuoso bookings APPEAR to be considered normal, published-rate-paying bookings that qualify for all normal points approval. They have never in my experience been treated as consolidator bookings in any way.

So unless there are special rules for the "challenge", I would fully expect to get credits for those nights.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Not challenge related, but we have booked RC with them. They have our MR# on file. REceived all normal RC benefits--earned points and elite night. I think its considered a normal reservation.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:02 pm

As a Virtuoso agent......I can confirm that I have signed clients up for the Platinum challenge without difficulty. They still received their perks and were able to participate in the challenge.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
FYI - called Marriott Rewards yesterday to inquire about a status match or platinum challenge. CSR said she had to ask a supervisor. Placed on hold while CSR talked to supervisor. CSR came back and told me such a program didn't exist.

Called back today and asked to be enrolled in a Platinum Challenge. CSR typed away for about 10 seconds and then told me I was enrolled. Don't see any indication on my account yet, but hopefully I'm enrolled. Should be able to do the 18 nights pretty easily.

Edit: My account was updated to Platinum status within a day or two and I have until Dec 31 to complete 18 nights to keep it.

Last edited by mrEzE; Sep 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mrEzE
FYI - called Marriott Rewards yesterday to inquire about a status match or platinum challenge. CSR said she had to ask a supervisor. Placed on hold while CSR talked to supervisor. CSR came back and told me such a program didn't exist.

Called back today and asked to be enrolled in a Platinum Challenge. CSR typed away for about 10 seconds and then told me I was enrolled. Don't see any indication on my account yet, but hopefully I'm enrolled. Should be able to do the 18 nights pretty easily.
I tried calling for it last week... was told it doesn't exist. Sent an email. Got response it doesn't exist but if I faxed or emailed statements showing my status with competing properties they may consider it. Sent screenshots of my HH diamond info, PC platinum and SPG gold and they replied with the Gold challenge. Not sure why they chose the gold vs a platinum challenge (apparently my 80+ nights ytd in 2011 wasn't sufficient to warrant platinum challenge)

The more I look to book rooms though the more I realize the marriott properties are consistently priced too high.. Work for a govt contractor and HHonors offers the govt contractor rates at most properties, whereas, Marriott is almost ALWAYS 10-20% higher on AAA and std rates then locally competing HHonor properties and does not offer a govt contractor rate and govt rate specifically excludes the govt contractors.
Throw in the fact the PC properties nearby are ALWAYS significantly lower and just not sure I'll be able to justify seeing the challenge through and going this direction.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Please realize that Marriott Platinum is fine for business--Monday-Friday stays--however for others the benefits aren't really worth it. I'm currently Platinum with Marriott--however I have no intention on re-qualifying--will accept Gold when my Platinum status expires on 2/12. Hyatt/Starwood/Hilton more suited to leisure travellers. Just my opinion--best of luck to all.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
(I can't remember the name) in the late 90's or early 2000's.
Marriott Honored Guest....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.