Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was Plat via a challenge and now I'm Plat in the new program not PP. I still don't see the difference, however. Seems I still get lounge access, 4pm checkout and extra points. What am I missing out on by not being PP? I'll hit it anyway sometime in Q4 but I'm wondering what I'll be missing out on in the meantime?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I was Plat via a challenge and now I'm Plat in the new program not PP. I still don't see the difference, however. Seems I still get lounge access, 4pm checkout and extra points. What am I missing out on by not being PP? I'll hit it anyway sometime in Q4 but I'm wondering what I'll be missing out on in the meantime?
2.5 points per dollar and potential for better upgrades. The latter may be significant, because there are going to be a gazillion new Plats for the next 5.5 months due to the generous transition rules. I'm guessing Plats are not going to see many free suites this year.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:32 am

Completed the Marriott platinum challenge last year in May after matching SPG gold from Amex to Marriott gold. Ended up with 50 Marriott nights for the year and a few SPG.
Still showing as platinum now with 1 lifetime year. What have you guys got for the lifetime years?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just show some patience everyone. If you still don't have PP by September and there's no communication, THEN I'd call in to ask and inquire. Everything on the IT/backend is messed up right now and I wouldn't take anything it says in your account as given and final.
I'm worried that waiting to bother Marriott about this will weaken the momentum/our message. People complained immediately about the travel packages and then they received the 30K points back. People are receiving mixed messages about if this is 1.) a technical issue or 2.) if this is our new status because we did not "earn" it.

I feel like the more people call in to complain, the better the chance of someone going in and fixing this for all the status challenge people. Last thing we want is for Marriott to get only a handful of calls about this each week, think its not that big of a deal, and strengthen the message that "promotional" elite status does not qualify for PP.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And the bloggers are totally ignoring these "wrong status" issues. Marriott PR machine in action. They're hoping we all just go away while they make vague promises that unspecified problems will be "fixed" in the days ahead without actually addressing what they've done (apparently deliberately) or confirming that proper status will be restored.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
2.5 points per dollar and potential for better upgrades. The latter may be significant, because there are going to be a gazillion new Plats for the next 5.5 months due to the generous transition rules. I'm guessing Plats are not going to see many free suites this year.
Also the 48 hours reservation guarantee - in case you are walked, PP gets some extra compensation. This is not available to Plat.

I also want to mention that whatever Starwood Lurker has said (at the time whatever information the "Loyalty Team" gave him to pass on) can NOT be relied on based on NONE of the drips and bits of information on the Travel Package has ever come true. Instead it is a completely nasty surprise to many who acted upon the suggestions from the Lurker based on what he was told by the "Loyalty Team".

Finally based on experiences, the Asia call centers reps are much better trained, much better on top of things in a changing environment. Hence I dont doubt when they said they received memos from HQ in US on what the Plats from Challenge would remain Plat Elites, is something made up. US reps are the worst, many are incompetent, and worse yet, lazy. I have better experiences dealing with Asian reps for almost all programs, Marriott in particular. No long wait. Handled the tasks within minutes. Willing to dig deep to resolve issues that the US reps created and unable to fix... Just sayin that I would not brush off CSR info across the board - it depends on WHERE the CSRs are located.

Dont forget it was from a Chinese source that we learned about SPG would be no more come August when the official Marriott lines were that the merger would not be finalized until either end of 2018 or early 2019, when the Chinese site broke the news. Every English blogger and his affiliates pooh pooh the "rumor. The rest is history as they say.

Call me pessimistic, I believe we would remain Plat Elites,
tonywush likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They can call it "Purple Zebra Status" for all I care. The fact is it was earned, and we were told it would translate to Platinum Premier.

I already have like $14k in combined Marriott/SPG spend this year, with quite a bit more planned, and will be super pissed if they don't do the right thing here.
I am afraid you will be super pissed based on how Marriott handled the TP debacle. Do you realize as late as the morning of August 20th they were still trying to spin out of this major defraud?

Read this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30108459-post6020.html

You will realize if still not by now, that Marriott is still trying to get away as much as it could, even on the Real Damages done to those who redeemed Travel Packages.

If not for the huge public outcry on Social Media platforms that have been tweeted and retweeted all over the places, there would not be a abrupt change of course by late afternoon on the same day about the Refund and Ability to book now without waiting till Sept 19.

it is a complete PR Spin because when people followed the steps outlined by Marriott Insider (How official it can get?) to initial refund process as well as trying to book - NONE has succeeded. They received emails back either the system has technical difficulty and cannot handle the request at this time, or telling them to call Reservation to sort it out!
Nobody can use the existing legacy cert to actually make a reservation. System would not allow it. That is despite the Spin in the Marriott Insider's post about how the system has successfully passed the "press test" so effectively immediately one can use those legacy certs.

What a crock of you know what.

But, I am sure there would still be some who would advocate "patience is a virtue" thing - it does not work when you are dealing with Corporate Creed and the Corporate is out to cheat you whichever way it feels it could get away from, starting from the very beginning and still shows now...

That said, because the number of people who went thru challenge to earn the status is relatively small comparing to the number of travel package cert holders, (and the potential PR backlash from Social Media), I am afraid we would be wronged no matter what - because we would not be able to put enough pressure to Marriott to get it right. Our number is too small - and that probably is the same reason why the blogs would not address this area.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 21, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:23 am

This would be a good thread to voice our concerns

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/55450
Brooke123 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:31 am

Again, why would taste of Gold get the same thing as taste of Platinum? Marriott can't get away with this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:39 am

Again, why would taste of Gold get the same thing as taste of Platinum? Marriott can't get away with this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am Marriott Platinum, status still shows as Platinum, not upgraded to Platinum Premier on 8/18 just yet, shuld have this have not happened automatically?

Do I have to call Marriott / Merge Accounts to get correct status to reflect.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am Marriott Platinum, status still shows as Platinum, not upgraded to Platinum Premier on 8/18 just yet, shuld have this have not happened automatically?

Do I have to call Marriott / Merge Accounts to get correct status to reflect.
No, sit back and wait for them to finish the job. I have over 490 SPG LT nights and it's telling me the number of nights still needed to get LTS 250?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:27 pm

Any intel on starting a new Platinum challenge now (post-merge)?

I.e. I am Gold now but want to do a Plat Challenge.

Is it still around? 9 Stays only?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: MR Gold
Is anyone who completed the Taste of Gold challenge showing as Platinum under the merged program?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:43 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by maiden42
Any intel on starting a new Platinum challenge now (post-merge)?

I.e. I am Gold now but want to do a Plat Challenge.

Is it still around? 9 Stays only?
i think as it is, Marriott has enough problems on their hands right now and reviving challenges at this stage is probably least thing on their bucket list. (assuming they do have one, since everything looks haphazard.)
In additional, they are probably trying to deal with the wraith of all the existing Plat/PP members rather then adding new ones into the muck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.