Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
gold status

You're in luck, as long as your stay is before Aug. 31st.

http://www.joinmarriottrewards.com/a...=AN10#register
Old May 15, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Perfect! Our stay starts on Tuesday, actually typing this all from my plane down to ATL to meet up with my friend for 2 days before we fly down there. Will the status change be reflected that fast?

Thx so much!
Old May 15, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Will the status change be reflected that fast?
That I don't know. My folks have some stays in Europe this summer so I upgraded their account yesterday as a nice surprise for them...nothing was reflected as of this morning.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bosnyc
That I don't know. My folks have some stays in Europe this summer so I upgraded their account yesterday as a nice surprise for them...nothing was reflected as of this morning.
Ok, I suppose I'll just give a call tomorrow if I don't see anything by then, would really enjoy the free Internet for our stay!
Old May 22, 2011, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bosnyc
You're in luck, as long as your stay is before Aug. 31st.

http://www.joinmarriottrewards.com/a...=AN10#register
I get " Promotion Ended February 28, 2011"
Old May 23, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I get " Promotion Ended February 28, 2011"
Are you already a Marriott Rewards member? If you are, your browser cookies probably identify you as such, and the MR computer probably does not allow you to sign up for something you already have. This is a promotion directed at people who are not now members. Just my guess of course, and YMMV.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by USirritated
Are you already a Marriott Rewards member? If you are, your browser cookies probably identify you as such, and the MR computer probably does not allow you to sign up for something you already have. This is a promotion directed at people who are not now members. Just my guess of course, and YMMV.
Nope. Tried it from a different computer and same message.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
I was able to call them up and do a "platinum challenge" earlier this year. I was immediately upgraded to platinum status, which might mean it would work for your purposes.
Old May 23, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by jaimelannister
I was able to call them up and do a "platinum challenge" earlier this year. I was immediately upgraded to platinum status, which might mean it would work for your purposes.
Yes, there is some history of Marriott Rewards doing that, however, the person requesting must have equivalent status with another chain, send documentation for same, and then stay a certain number of nights with Marriott over a 3 month period (usually 18 or 19 nights over 91 days for Plat, and 12 or 13 nights over the same period for Gold).
Old May 23, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by USirritated
Yes, there is some history of Marriott Rewards doing that, however, the person requesting must have equivalent status with another chain, send documentation for same, and then stay a certain number of nights with Marriott over a 3 month period (usually 18 or 19 nights over 91 days for Plat, and 12 or 13 nights over the same period for Gold).
I had equivalent status with Hyatt when I requested it, but the Marriott agent I spoke to didn't ask for any proof (she just took my word for it, apparently). And the deal was I had to stay 18 nights in the next 90 days, but the platinum benefits were given to me immediately, so I didn't even have to wait for the 18 nights before I enjoyed platinum status. Perhaps I just got lucky with a very kind agent... =)
Old May 23, 2011, 1:44 pm

Plat Challenge

This is the standard offer. It is intended for people who would achive the status in the year. If I recall I think it may have a lifetime limit where you can only do it once.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jaimelannister
I had equivalent status with Hyatt when I requested it, but the Marriott agent I spoke to didn't ask for any proof (she just took my word for it, apparently). And the deal was I had to stay 18 nights in the next 90 days, but the platinum benefits were given to me immediately, so I didn't even have to wait for the 18 nights before I enjoyed platinum status. Perhaps I just got lucky with a very kind agent... =)
That is the standard procedure, except for not requiring proof, so in that regard, you did get lucky. However, Marriott does not offer this at all times. There are FT people who have been turned down for this status match in the past, though it has been a couple of years since Marriott has not offered this match.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:09 pm

I signed up for this promotion this year. (SPG had a lot of social-networking-only promotions, so I looked at Marriott, noticed the gold upgrade, and moved my stays over.) It requires 12 nights by June 30 for gold status, at least in my case.

I have 10 Marriott nights during the promotion period so far, and my next trip will start on June 28 and continue into July. Should I hotel-hop on June 30 to qualify? Or will the June 28 and 29 nights post even if I don't check out until July, after the promo has ended? Thanks in advance.

(In case anyone is still tracking the targeting: 19 Marriott nights last year. One night this year made me silver thanks to rollover.)
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Rollover nights and platinum challenge

I recently signed up for the Marriott platinum challenge at the end of April 2011. I believe the requirement was something like 18 nights in the next 90 days.

I got to that level, and then some. Since I signed up for the platinum challenge, I have stayed 39 nights, but should make it another 25 nights or so in 2011, for a total of around 65 nights, give or take.

The platinum challenge seems to have earned me Plat status until 02/2013 according to the card they sent me. I currently don't have any Marriott credit cards that would earn me elite nights without actual stays. It's also unlikely that I'll ever do 75 nights in a year (this year was unusual since I relocated for work and they put me up in a hotel for 45 days). I would probably stay ~30 nights in a regular year.

That being said, since I'm plat until 2013, can I ask to roll over all of these extra nights I'm earning this year to count toward next year? For whatever reason, the website still says I need 35 nights to get to platinum on that bar chart, though my status is definitely platinum already until 2013. I know the general answer is that you can roll over nights above the elite threshold, but is that also true for my situation? Also, could I rollover all of my nights or only those beyond the 18 that I needed to meet the challenge?

TIA!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Not sure what MR will come back with on this, but my guess is no. Only those nights this year in excess of highest status achived will roll over. And for Platinum that's 75. It's a tough call if you're gold and approaching 75 right at the end of the year.

I'd say enjoy your status benefits for the rest of this year and work on your 75 nights next year.

Of course we won't know what they will do until they do it. And even then, it might get redone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.