Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by SP03
Should be automatic. As soon as the last stay posts.
Thank you
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by misenlai
You would need to begin and finish the challenge in 2018 in order to receive the status until February of 2020
Yes, I have been told the same over phone with Marriott US support. As far as I understood, it doesn't matter whether you complete 9 stays in January itself or later though.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Yes, I have been told the same over phone with Marriott US support. As far as I understood, it doesn't matter whether you complete 9 stays in January itself or later though.
I guess there's no incentive for me to wait until Jan to finish my challenge then.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
I guess there's no incentive for me to wait until Jan to finish my challenge then.
But if you start challenge in 2017, status will be only until 2019.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
But if you start challenge in 2017, status will be only until 2019.
I have already started the challenge. Have until end of Jan to finish. Was initially planing on stretching the challenge to have my last stay in Jan, but now I think I will just get it done.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have already started the challenge. Have until end of Jan to finish. Was initially planing on stretching the challenge to have my last stay in Jan, but now I think I will just get it done.
Nights in January 2018 will count toward the 75 you would need for 2019.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nights in January 2018 will count toward the 75 you would need for 2019.
Haha at that point, may just be easier to go for SPG platinum (assuming the program is still there). I've always stayed at Starwood, but with the merger, figured it would be nicer to go for platinum as a Marriott Gold than SPG Gold.

It's kind of annoying that they are still separate programs. I really like my Marriott experience so far, but it's hard to achieve Platinum if stays with the other program don't count.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's kind of annoying that they are still separate programs. I really like my Marriott experience so far, but it's hard to achieve Platinum if stays with the other program don't count.
And I suspect we will be forced for at least one more year to choose the program to which we will direct our stays. Can see how 25 SPG stays might be an easier path than 75 Marriott nights, but Marriott works better for me overall.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by invalyd
Does anyone know if bookings made through Concur Travel qualify for the status challenge?
IME, bookings made via Concur get all points / benefits and counted as stays.. so these should also be eligible for status challenge computations.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
IME, bookings made via Concur get all points / benefits and counted as stays.. so these should also be eligible for status challenge computations.
Yup ditto. For the past ten+ years and 3 companies, who have all used concur. All my stays have been counted as if I booked directly through the hotels own website. From Hilton to Marriott to IHG to Hyatt.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Platinum Elite Status challenge

I was given the 9 night challenge for platinum. Should I be able to see this in promotion central or does it not appear in the same way as other promotions?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by waribai
I was given the 9 night challenge for platinum. Should I be able to see this in promotion central or does it not appear in the same way as other promotions?
It does not appear; when I signed up for it, the CSR with whom I arranged the challenge specifically stated that it would not appear online.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by waribai
No you won't see it, although it will still be tracked on Marriott's end.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It does not appear; when I signed up for it, the CSR with whom I arranged the challenge specifically stated that it would not appear online.

Thanks! I won't worry then!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It's a leap of faith in Marriott!

I will say they upgraded me to Plat lightning fast after I completed stay number 9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.