Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Just called in and signed up for the Gold challenge. They told me I have until Aug 31 to get the 6 stays (rest of this month and then three more months,) not 90 days..

Last edited by GoSh4rks; May 10, 2016 at 1:03 am
Old May 9, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Just called in and signed up for the Gold challenge. They told me I have until Aug 31 to get the 6 nights (rest of this month and then three more months,) not 90 days..
Are you sure they said nights, not stays?
Old May 10, 2016, 1:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Are you sure they said nights, not stays?
Oops, stays! Point of my post was the end of August thing (90+ days)
Old May 11, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: AI, BA, Etihad, Mariott, IHG, TIC
How's the experience of "Receiving your missing stays" now? Past threads/discussions look scary ..

I technically completed by 'Road to Platinum' challenge by completing 9 different stays across 2 different properties. But, as expected, not everything went smoothly. 2 of my 9 stays are yet to be posted to my MR account and its been > 10 days since the check-out.

Is it the hotel's mistake that the stay hasn't been posted yet?

Also, what would be the most efficient way to ensure I get my stays posted before my time runs out (90 days for the Plat challenge)? I have about a month left for the challenge end date .

Thanks,
Monk
Old May 11, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by monkatpeace
How's the experience of "Receiving your missing stays" now? Past threads/discussions look scary ..

I technically completed by 'Road to Platinum' challenge by completing 9 different stays across 2 different properties. But, as expected, not everything went smoothly. 2 of my 9 stays are yet to be posted to my MR account and its been > 10 days since the check-out.

Is it the hotel's mistake that the stay hasn't been posted yet?

Also, what would be the most efficient way to ensure I get my stays posted before my time runs out (90 days for the Plat challenge)? I have about a month left for the challenge end date .

Thanks,
Monk
The only way to find out what has happened is to call MR and ask them. It is possible the hotel flagged your stay as ineligible for MR credit and you may be required to provide a copy of your folio for them to correct the error.

As for timing, as long as all qualifying stays were within the program window you should be fine regardless how long it takes them to work it out. But it's important to get them to look at what has happened. It may not fix itself.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Probably after the last stay that gets you qualified posts to your account, so it might be after your Tuesday check-in. You could mention on the Tuesday that you just finished the Gold challenge the night before & see if they'll extend you the bennies.
Thanks for this bit of advice. It appears that stays are taking 3-4 business days to post. Given I'm staying at the Residence Inn, the only Gold benefit I wanted to really use was the enhanced internet. I told the FDC my dilemma, and he said to use it and he'll take care of the charges when I check-out on Thursday. ^
Old May 12, 2016, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The only way to find out what has happened is to call MR and ask them. It is possible the hotel flagged your stay as ineligible for MR credit and you may be required to provide a copy of your folio for them to correct the error.

As for timing, as long as all qualifying stays were within the program window you should be fine regardless how long it takes them to work it out. But it's important to get them to look at what has happened. It may not fix itself.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just out of curiosity ..how can a stay be considered ineligible for MR credit? I paid for both of those 2 stays with money (and not MR points) and physically checked-in and checked-out. Plus, I have the supporting bill that quotes the concerned check-in and check-out dates.

I will definitely talk to MR CC. But would talking to the hotel help? Asking this as I live in the same time zone as the hotel where I stayed .

Thanks,
Monk
Old May 12, 2016, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just out of curiosity ..how can a stay be considered ineligible for MR credit? I paid for both of those 2 stays with money (and not MR points) and physically checked-in and checked-out. Plus, I have the supporting bill that quotes the concerned check-in and check-out dates.

I will definitely talk to MR CC. But would talking to the hotel help? Asking this as I live in the same time zone as the hotel where I stayed .

Thanks,
Monk
I have had eligible stays not post to find out the FDC, mistakenly, flagged it as ineligible. The first response when I challenged the missing credit was the stay was ineligible. I asked why and that's when they discovered the mistake.

Keep your documentation, ask for credit for the missing stays, and provide supporting documentation when asked.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked-out this morning. No enhanced internet charges. ^ I saw that my 6th stay posted at 2:50am this morning, and the Marriott website already shows my gold status.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I have had eligible stays not post to find out the FDC, mistakenly, flagged it as ineligible. The first response when I challenged the missing credit was the stay was ineligible. I asked why and that's when they discovered the mistake.

Keep your documentation, ask for credit for the missing stays, and provide supporting documentation when asked.
Ahh..spent 10 minutes with the Customer Care on phone and they fixed the issue. Both the stays have been credited .

This is the fastest possible response, unless it's a weekend . Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Monk
Old May 17, 2016, 2:32 am

Question Reg United Silver Status

I recently completed the 'Road to Plat' challenge and just received the status upgrade to Platinum.

Can anybody help me on how to upgrade/obtain the United Silver Elite status? Is there a way to do this without contacting Customer Care i.e. an online linkage website/page?

Thanks,
Monk
Old May 17, 2016, 3:19 am

I recently completed the 'Road to Plat' challenge and just received the status upgrade to Platinum.

Can anybody help me on how to upgrade/obtain the United Silver Elite status? Is there a way to do this without contacting Customer Care i.e. an online linkage website/page?

Thanks,
Monk
Yes. Sorry not sure where on the Marriott site but Google Marriott rewards and United mileageplus. It's rewardsplus. From there you can enroll.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Yes. Sorry not sure where on the Marriott site but Google Marriott rewards and United mileageplus. It's rewardsplus. From there you can enroll.
Thanks Bubbie. I enrolled in the RewardsPlus program just yesterday. But I am a base member right now. I am unable to find an option to link it with my MR account and get the upgrade to United Silver.

If one cannot perform the upgrade online, I shall contact MR CC.

Thanks,
Monk
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Called Marriott Rewards, once I got to the rep, it took about 30 seconds for her to set me up for the Gold Challenge.

She said I have until End of November to complete the challenge.

I have a 8 night stay coming up in Seoul. Followed by a couple of stays in SFO / NYC.

If I split the stay into 8 one night bookings between my wife and myself, will that be ok?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Called Marriott Rewards, once I got to the rep, it took about 30 seconds for her to set me up for the Gold Challenge.

She said I have until End of November to complete the challenge.

I have a 8 night stay coming up in Seoul. Followed by a couple of stays in SFO / NYC.

If I split the stay into 8 one night bookings between my wife and myself, will that be ok?
Only the stays booked under your account with you being the registered guest will count. So if you have an 8-night trip and alternate names on the bookings you will get credit for four stays. Do make sure they provide separate folios showing the proper name/account in case the property tries to book as a single stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.