Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:16 pm

guys, I am currently in the middle of a 12 day straight trip for work with the goal of beating the gold challenge (6 stays). I only have 1 stay under my belt right now. Without physically switching hotels every night. Can I just switch in and out with my gf's reward# ? ie, first 2 nights under me, 3rd night under her #, then back to me. so this way, the system would show me checking in and out, then back. Would this help count towards different stays? I just don't want to switch in and out of hotel due to work trip and co workers sharing cars. thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: AI, BA, Etihad, Mariott, IHG, TIC
Originally Posted by sethb
The type of meeting has never been found to matter. But ask the hotel rep to make sure you're getting everything you should.
Well the Marriott property I contacted seemed to be least interested in setting up the event (I spoke to 2 different reps and both sounded extremely bored ). Also, the rep said he can give me Points and not credit stays to my account !!

And, both promised to email me details so that I can choose the appropriate package...it's been a week and am yet to receive that email. I am disappointed with the kind of service they offered over the phone .. thinking of raising a complaint on this to Marriott. Would you all suggest the same?

BTW, I decided to host the even at a different hotel altogether as I am not willing to take a risk (what if the entire staff is as bored as the people I spoke to ..on a lighter note of course!!).

Ch33rs,
Monk
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cjj25
guys, I am currently in the middle of a 12 day straight trip for work with the goal of beating the gold challenge (6 stays). I only have 1 stay under my belt right now. Without physically switching hotels every night. Can I just switch in and out with my gf's reward# ? ie, first 2 nights under me, 3rd night under her #, then back to me. so this way, the system would show me checking in and out, then back. Would this help count towards different stays? I just don't want to switch in and out of hotel due to work trip and co workers sharing cars. thanks!
Yes, as long as there is at least one day between the stays under your account, you should receive separate stay credit. A polite request at check-out should get you the same room for the next night, just make sure all the reservations for for the same room type.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cjj25
Is there a reason you asked this here when you created a separate thread re: it & had replies in that one?

Cheers.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Generally, no. It has been rumored that it is impossible to be in two places at once. Even if it should post, many times promos get an extra review and it may go away once someone eyeballs the account.
OK, guess I'll play it safe. Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Is there a reason you asked this here when you created a separate thread re: it & had replies in that one?

Cheers.
sorry, I discovered this chain after posting the first one. figure this would be the more relevant place to ask that question.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:20 pm

Yes, as long as there is at least one day between the stays under your account, you should receive separate stay credit. A polite request at check-out should get you the same room for the next night, just make sure all the reservations for for the same room type.
Just curious ..but wouldn't the mentioned plan of stays come under 2 different MR account? And shouldn't the challenge ideally be completed under a single MR account?

The way I understood the original query .. the member's stays will get split between his and his gf's MR accounts. Please correct me if wrong .

Ch33rs,
Satish
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by monkatpeace
Just curious ..but wouldn't the mentioned plan of stays come under 2 different MR account? And shouldn't the challenge ideally be completed under a single MR account?

The way I understood the original query .. the member's stays will get split between his and his gf's MR accounts. Please correct me if wrong .

Ch33rs,
Satish
The op would at least get two stays instead of one. If the GF is also doing a challenge, she'd get one instead of none. If the OP wanted to maximize the credit, swapping every night between the two accounts would earn three stays on a five night trip. But good chance they'd need to swap rooms at least a few times during the week.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:37 am

Question Query reg 'Road to Platinum' challenge

The op would at least get two stays instead of one. If the GF is also doing a challenge, she'd get one instead of none. If the OP wanted to maximize the credit, swapping every night between the two accounts would earn three stays on a five night trip. But good chance they'd need to swap rooms at least a few times during the week.
Got it ^.

A query regarding the 'Road to Platinum challenge':
I recently completed 2 stays and need 7 more to complete the Plat challenge. I have an upcoming stay of 3 days and I split it into "3 x 1 night stay" on consecutive days across 2 Marriott hotels next to each other. Just wanted to confirm if the above would be considered as 3 stays or not?

To maximize benefits, I booked a stay at an expensive property just for the sake of the challenge. If the above would not be considered as 3 individual stays, I would cancel my existing bookings and rebook at a less-expensive property .

Thanks,
Monk
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monkatpeace
Got it ^.

A query regarding the 'Road to Platinum challenge':
I recently completed 2 stays and need 7 more to complete the Plat challenge. I have an upcoming stay of 3 days and I split it into "3 x 1 night stay" on consecutive days across 2 Marriott hotels next to each other. Just wanted to confirm if the above would be considered as 3 stays or not?

To maximize benefits, I booked a stay at an expensive property just for the sake of the challenge. If the above would not be considered as 3 individual stays, I would cancel my existing bookings and rebook at a less-expensive property .

Thanks,
Monk
As long as no two consecutive nights are at the same property, you should be good to go. The only hiccup that could come up is if both properties are operated by the same company and have a single back office. However, if they fail to post as separate stays, I expect a call to MR will get it resolved in your favor.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I signed up for the Gold challenge yesterday. One stay will be complete this week. I plan on doing the Marriott shuffle next week (four nights)--between a Residence Inn and a Marriott hotel. That means my sixth stay will be the first night the following week (Monday night). If I switch to another Marriott property on Tuesday, will I have my gold status?

Otherwise, how many days does it take to reflect my new status after completing the challenge?

(Someone really needs to create a Wikipage with details and FAQ.)
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I signed up for the Gold challenge yesterday. One stay will be complete this week. I plan on doing the Marriott shuffle next week (four nights)--between a Residence Inn and a Marriott hotel. That means my sixth stay will be the first night the following week (Monday night). If I switch to another Marriott property on Tuesday, will I have my gold status?

Otherwise, how many days does it take to reflect my new status after completing the challenge?

(Someone really needs to create a Wikipage with details and FAQ.)
Probably after the last stay that gets you qualified posts to your account, so it might be after your Tuesday check-in. You could mention on the Tuesday that you just finished the Gold challenge the night before & see if they'll extend you the bennies.

And you're wiki-enabled, so have at it!

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Probably after the last stay that gets you qualified posts to your account, so it might be after your Tuesday check-in. You could mention on the Tuesday that you just finished the Gold challenge the night before & see if they'll extend you the bennies.

And you're wiki-enabled, so have at it!
Thanks!

I'm probably the least-qualified person to create a wiki about this, but I'll at least start it.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Query:

I am United GS and have a question about 2016 Platinum Elite Benefits. I have booked stays in Marriott in Germany next week. Can someone tell me how I can access the advertised benefits?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by manstein58
Query:

I am United GS and have a question about 2016 Platinum Elite Benefits. I have booked stays in Marriott in Germany next week. Can someone tell me how I can access the advertised benefits?
Here's a list of benefits for Platinum members/program in general:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...ts/platinum.mi

If you want to know how certain German properties are, I'd suggest doing a search on the properties in this forum.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.