Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by noob23
I received a "If you stay with us just 20 nights between October 1 and December 31, 2015, you'll maintain your Platinum Elite status through February 2017."
Do my 15 nights from the Marriott Credit Card count towards that?
Did you read the terms provided in the email or links? Look for something like "paid stays" or "book your rooms". Those would be strong clues that bonus nights do not count. I don't have a Marriott CC, but do their bonus nights post on your anniversary date or a specific date (i.e. in January). Either way, I wouldn't see them giving preference to non-stay credit.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did you read the terms provided in the email or links? Look for something like "paid stays" or "book your rooms". Those would be strong clues that bonus nights do not count. I don't have a Marriott CC, but do their bonus nights post on your anniversary date or a specific date (i.e. in January). Either way, I wouldn't see them giving preference to non-stay credit.
Well the credit card nights do count for most things, they post on your card anniversary (that's coming up for me). Here's the fine print for me. No tracker on the website. Guess I'll find out soonish!

* Available at all Marriott Rewards participating brands. Credit toward this promotion is given for stays with Marriott hotels between October 1, 2015, and December 31, 2015. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights or stay. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit toward this promotion. Marriott Vacation Club owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. This offer is not transferable. Some Elite benefits vary by participating brand. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:56 am
Suspended

maybe next you'll also want the credit card nights to count towards current bonuses since you obviously don't know what a stay is despite RogerD408 and my posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the credit card nights do count for most things, they post on your card anniversary (that's coming up for me). Here's the fine print for me. No tracker on the website. Guess I'll find out soonish!

* Available at all Marriott Rewards participating brands. Credit toward this promotion is given for stays with Marriott hotels between October 1, 2015, and December 31, 2015. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights or stay. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit toward this promotion. Marriott Vacation Club owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. This offer is not transferable. Some Elite benefits vary by participating brand. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

The bolded items are the kickers from my point of view. The promo's intent is to drum up new business. The CC credit will happen no matter what and it would not make sense to only include accounts renewing in the window. Now is that to say MR IT won't mess up and count those nights? No. Are they likely to? No. Would you be successful in arguing the point if you don't make the required stays? No. Are you willing to risk not making the promo? Only you can answer that.

Yes, the CC nights will count for your status. Yes, the CC nights can rollover if you exceed your status tier. But I have never seen CC nights, especially anniversary gifts, count for a promo. There may be exceptions, but I haven't seen any.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The bolded items are the kickers from my point of view. The promo's intent is to drum up new business. The CC credit will happen no matter what and it would not make sense to only include accounts renewing in the window. Now is that to say MR IT won't mess up and count those nights? No. Are they likely to? No. Would you be successful in arguing the point if you don't make the required stays? No. Are you willing to risk not making the promo? Only you can answer that.

Yes, the CC nights will count for your status. Yes, the CC nights can rollover if you exceed your status tier. But I have never seen CC nights, especially anniversary gifts, count for a promo. There may be exceptions, but I haven't seen any.
There is a slight chance, based on the new policy, that free nights will count for the promo. The terms say they shouldn't, but they're implementing a new policy and might not get the details right.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:34 pm

I think that's about right, which is why I'm like if it counts good, if not I'll live. For me I'll hit gold regardless, the bump from platinum isn't that much of a difference. Unfortunately my stays will be in December, so I won't know till the end of the year to help anyone else.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:14 am

I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in the previous 145 pages, but I tried and tried and didn't find it.

What I'm trying the know is if I want my platinum status to last until Feb 2018, can I start the challenge now / early next month, and complete it in Feb / Mar 2016, or should I wait until 2016 to start the challenge. I have people saying both in different forums.

Thx!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:35 am

Best time to start the gold / platinum challenge

I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in the previous 146 pages of the merged thread, but I tried and tried and didn't find it.

What I'm trying the know is if I want my platinum status to last until Feb 2018, can I start the challenge now / early next month, and complete it in Feb / Mar 2016, or should I wait until 2016 to start the challenge. I have people saying both in different forums.

Thx!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Wait until 2016. I initiated mine around this time last year and completed the stays in January and only received platinum until the end of this year.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: SW-A list preferred , Alaska -MVP Gold , Marriott - Platinum , HHonors - Diamond , Hyatt - Diamond
I opted for challenge @ Marriott in Sep and I'm just 3 nights away from gaining the pla status....

How long will the status last ?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by user2013
I opted for challenge @ Marriott in Sep and I'm just 3 nights away from gaining the pla status....

How long will the status last ?
Unless your T&Cs called for something else (good to read them even if challenge is over) status earned this year should be good through all of next year and February the year after that.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:45 pm
Suspended

although "true" earned status is valid until the end of Feb of the following year, status earned via challenge is valid only until the end of the following calander year so if you completed the challenge this year your status will only be valid thru 31 Dec 2016 and not 28 Feb 2017 (Mrs did a gold challenge successfully last year).

Unless your T&Cs called for something else (good to read them even if challenge is over) status earned this year should be good through all of next year and February the year after that.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leeky
although "true" earned status is valid until the end of Feb of the following year, status earned via challenge is valid only until the end of the following calander year so if you completed the challenge this year your status will only be valid thru 31 Dec 2016 and not 28 Feb 2017 (Mrs did a gold challenge successfully last year).
I'm sure that may have been the case for your wife. But we have no idea if OP was on the same challenge with the same terms. Only by reading what was in effect at the time of the OP's challenge will he know for sure what to expect.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:38 pm
Suspended

its been reported by numerous others to be the same - qualify in this year and valid until the end of the following.

I'm sure that may have been the case for your wife. But we have no idea if OP was on the same challenge with the same terms. Only by reading what was in effect at the time of the OP's challenge will he know for sure what to expect.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by maplenight
I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in the previous 146 pages of the merged thread, but I tried and tried and didn't find it.

Thx!
I believe you need to start the challenge after June to get it until 2018. I'm sure other people will know better

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.