Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
This is off topic but may be related: I am a silver with 30 nights so far this year (actually just completed nights 31 and 32). When I logged on today, Marriott.com says that I have gold status and must complete 20 nights to maintain it. I did not contact Marriott at all, and only found this thread when trying to find out what happened.

Is this common? It seems I've been granted the gold challenge without even asking. All of my stays have been at the Copenhagen Marriott which is quite expensive. Maybe this is based on revenue to date? Either way, I will take it!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by rwSEA
This is off topic but may be related: I am a silver with 30 nights so far this year (actually just completed nights 31 and 32). When I logged on today, Marriott.com says that I have gold status and must complete 20 nights to maintain it. I did not contact Marriott at all, and only found this thread when trying to find out what happened.

Is this common? It seems I've been granted the gold challenge without even asking. All of my stays have been at the Copenhagen Marriott which is quite expensive. Maybe this is based on revenue to date? Either way, I will take it!
Beware of this. If you should call to do a challange next year, you will be told you are not eligable becuase you have already had one within the past 12 months. It doesnt matter that you didnt ask for this one. At best, they will offer you what they consider an exception, where you make the same number of stays but don't get the status until you have completed all of them.

I suggest that if you dont want Gold this way, you call them, tell them you don't want this challange and have it removed. Ask them to document your account and get the name of the rep you speak with.

TW
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Or call them and ask about the "taste of platinum challange" instead. If they say no and the gold status is extended to 2/2012 and the Copenhagen Marriott has a nice lounge with breakfast and happy hour, I would keep the comped gold/enjoy the benefits and shoot for plat which might be doable (43 nights in the next 16 months).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, HY Diamod, MR Gold, PCR Plat
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Or call them and ask about the "taste of platinum challange" instead. If they say no and the gold status is extended to 2/2012 and the Copenhagen Marriott has a nice lounge with breakfast and happy hour, I would keep the comped gold/enjoy the benefits and shoot for plat which might be doable (43 nights in the next 16 months).
How do you get the 43 nights? I am actually in the similar position. Talked to a rep and he refused to give plat challenge.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, HY Diamod, MR Gold, PCR Plat
Originally Posted by deannaC
Done my 12 nights 1 week ago for the Gold Challenge. Still showing 30 nights to Gold. Wonder if the status will change or if I just have to assume that I am Gold till Feb 2012. Is there anywhere I can check when my Gold expires?
You can either call or send email to confirm your status expiration date.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Update:
I was able to change my gold challenge to a plat challenge.
I was at 11 of 12, they are having me restart at 0 of 18 and get until Dec 31 to finish. Also my platinum status does not take effect until I complete the challenge.
I am pretty pumped because I currently have 19 nights booked between now and october 8.
Woohoo!!!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by stallion114
Update:
I was able to change my gold challenge to a plat challenge.
I was at 11 of 12, they are having me restart at 0 of 18 and get until Dec 31 to finish. Also my platinum status does not take effect until I complete the challenge.
I am pretty pumped because I currently have 19 nights booked between now and october 8.
Woohoo!!!
Until you complete the 18 nights, do you retain Gold status ? If yes seems to me a very good deal.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by vilntrav
Until you complete the 18 nights, do you retain Gold status ? If yes seems to me a very good deal.
I'm doing the platinum challenge right now, and had no prior status with Marriott. Whenever I log in to the marriott website, it says Platinum status. From my understanding, I have to complete 18 nights until December 31, then I will have Platinum extended throughtout 2011.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:20 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Hatchet808
... had no prior status with Marriott. Whenever I log in to the marriott website, it says Platinum status. From my understanding, I have to complete 18 nights until December 31, then I will have Platinum extended throughtout 2011.
Cooooooooool ... congratulations!^
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by vilntrav
Yes I will maintain gold but not recieve the plat benefits until i complete the 18.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, Omni, Marriott
Denied challenge for status... suggestions?

Hi Guys,

Back in October I switched my allegiance from Omni to Marriott.. I was staying in the Omni in Farmers Branch, TX (north of Dallas) for about a year with no variance, so it worked out well.

Now I'm all over the place, and am in a hotel roughly 12 nights a month, so Marriott makes more sense. I've called and asked for the straight up match to their 'black level' to Gold, showing my status and what not. This was denied, so i requested a challenge. I'm currently at about 34 nights for the year, with roughly 10 more in December already booked. Anybody have any suggestions to at least get me to Gold by the years end? I'm told that the points will 'rollover' and allow me to keep going without losing out, but i'd still love to finish the year on a high note! (Just hit PM w/ Delta, so that was a nice treat!)

I've thought about talking to a sales manager at the Marriott in Buckhead that I typically end up at to see if he can help me (I'm there 6-8 nights a month, company has a discount code and great relationship there...), but other than that I'm open to any suggestions.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
free gold

They give u for free. Forget about challenge.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Bacai
They give u for free. Forget about challenge.
If free fails, there is always the MVP fast track.
4 stays = gold

see this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-comps-76.html

Good luck
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:38 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Theres a China Air registration promo to bag instant Gold, its a recent thread on this forum, so have a look at that.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Apparently I've missed something here with the suggestions to get Marriott Gold through HHHonors??!!

I would suggest getting the Marriott Rewards Premier credit card through Chase to get 15 nights toward status.

Additionally there is a thread in this forum that describes how to get 10 nights credit for booking a meeting.

Out of curiosity, did they give you a reason for denying your request for match/challenge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.