Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 4:58 pm

half data point, half rant

Data point: Current Gold with 42 nights so far YTD. I have 70 nights booked between 6/1 and 9/1. Obviously I will hit Plat by mid July at that rate. I called MR to see if they could offer me anything to make me hit Plat quicker. They offered me a Plat challenge: 6 stays within 3 months, Plat doesn't apply until I complete the challenge.

Rant: My stays are 2-3 weeks at a time. I explained to MR that I will achieve Plat naturally before I make 6 stays, and for them to reconsider. They said no. I called Hyatt(currently Plat there) and they immediately gave me a Diamond status challenge with 5 stays or 25 nights AND THE NEW STATUS WAS IMMEDIATE. I will now spend the next 25 nights with Hyatt and then determine if I jump over to Marriott to at least complete Gold for the year, or jump ship for a while.

I realize that the MR reps can't make subjective decisions too often, but I explained the above situation to 2 more MR folks after I got the Hyatt challenge. They said their hands were tied. Why does MR make it so difficult to remain loyal to them????
Old May 13, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kb_rembrandt
Data point: Current Gold with 42 nights so far YTD. I have 70 nights booked between 6/1 and 9/1. Obviously I will hit Plat by mid July at that rate. I called MR to see if they could offer me anything to make me hit Plat quicker. They offered me a Plat challenge: 6 stays within 3 months, Plat doesn't apply until I complete the challenge.

Rant: My stays are 2-3 weeks at a time. I explained to MR that I will achieve Plat naturally before I make 6 stays, and for them to reconsider. They said no. I called Hyatt(currently Plat there) and they immediately gave me a Diamond status challenge with 5 stays or 25 nights AND THE NEW STATUS WAS IMMEDIATE. I will now spend the next 25 nights with Hyatt and then determine if I jump over to Marriott to at least complete Gold for the year, or jump ship for a while.

I realize that the MR reps can't make subjective decisions too often, but I explained the above situation to 2 more MR folks after I got the Hyatt challenge. They said their hands were tied. Why does MR make it so difficult to remain loyal to them????
Unless it has changed, I do not think that the Hyatt Diamond challenge is a mere 5 stays in X number of days -- which you failed to explain. I think it is more, but I could be in error.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:00 pm

Sorry for any confusion NJUPINTHEAIR. Perhaps mine was a special circumstance. I am currently Plat with Diamond and have been so for roughly 5 years. I explained to them my circumstances with MR and the number of upcoming 2014 nights I had. I know the Hyatt rep had to speak to a manager twice. I was read some verbiage about what constituted a stay(in order to prevent me from doing 5 1-night stays) but I basically ignored it because it wouldn't apply to my circumstance. This is the type of flexibility I appreciate from a company that realizes there is money to be made by taking from a competitor. They didn't do it because they liked me or I was a "valued customer"; they essentially got my extra revenue while causing Marriott to lose it. Win Win for them.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:11 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kb_rembrandt
I did the Plat Challenge myself last spring, and was also told that it would have to be stays - that nights were no longer offered. Similar to you, I was told there was no leeway in this. So I calmly explained this to my wife, who thought (and still does) I was a lunatic, but agreed to switch hotels every day or two to get the stays. I also booked in two hotels on the same night, to accelerate my stays. Not something that would be feasible for everyone, but I found a few cheap rates.

This was back in the days of immediate status for challenges, but I was denied that as well until I completed my stays.

Not ideal depending on your circumstances, but I found it worth it due to Marriott's representation in my travel regions.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm in the middle of the Taste of Gold challenge. I'm pretty much ignoring it, because I'm going to get there naturally on nights this year, rather than trying to cram stays into their shoebox window of 6 stays by June 30. I won't book anything extra just to get it - waste of money.

But since I "have" the status right now, I was interested to see how my experience would be different than before.

Unfortunately, I didn't stay at any "nice" Marriotts this trip - 2 FIs, 1 SHS, and 1 RI. Besides each saying "thank you for being Gold", we got the rooms I booked (because there really is no upgrade upside at those types of properties), and we did get two bottles of water at check-in at the RI.

I'm sure breakfast at a FS would be nice, but my other stays beyond the challenge period are at resorts, where I wouldn't get it anyway.

Hopefully I'll be able to max out on the benefits next year when I have it for the whole year and will stay at some nicer properties.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by 53flyer
Called yesterday and got the "Taste Of Platinum" challenge, requires 18 nights by August. Status changed from gold to plat within 30 minutes of the call.
Looking to do exactly the same thing. Can you share the number/dept you called to obtain this?
Old May 21, 2014, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If someone does Road to Gold in June/July & hits the stays, how long would the Gold be valid for - Feb '15 or longer? I've got a friend who is basic, will hit silver soon & once he gets there I want him to potentially sign up for the RtoG. Marriott offered him RtoS a couple of months ago, but I had him turn that down so he could potentially go for RtoG instead.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:11 pm

If I make my Taste of Gold by the end of June, it is good until Feb 2016 (says so right on my promotions page).
Old May 21, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If someone does Road to Gold in June/July & hits the stays, how long would the Gold be valid for - Feb '15 or longer?
I'd think it would include all of 2015; mine (done last year) includes all of 2014.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If I make my Taste of Gold by the end of June, it is good until Feb 2016 (says so right on my promotions page).
Originally Posted by sethb
I'd think it would include all of 2015; mine (done last year) includes all of 2014.
Cool - thanks. Will talk to my friend so we can sort out when to make the call to ask for the RtoG. I'll probably do the call & pretend to be him (he's got a gender neutral name) so if there's any push back I can adjust the request. He doesn't know enough to do so as he's new to all this.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If someone does Road to Gold in June/July & hits the stays, how long would the Gold be valid for - Feb '15 or longer? I've got a friend who is basic, will hit silver soon & once he gets there I want him to potentially sign up for the RtoG. Marriott offered him RtoS a couple of months ago, but I had him turn that down so he could potentially go for RtoG instead.

Cheers.
I registed for RtoG in March and completed it in April and have Gold status through January 2016.

"Once you have accumulated six separate paid stays, your account status would be upgraded to Gold Elite through January 2016."

On a side note, since I finished the RtoG in April and had plenty of additional time, I emailed and tried to see if I could convert to Road to Platinum and complete 3 additional stays for Platinum Elite. The rep said once a member is enrolled in a program, they can't adjust it to a different program.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bchin2020
I registed for RtoG in March and completed it in April and have Gold status through January 2016.

"Once you have accumulated six separate paid stays, your account status would be upgraded to Gold Elite through January 2016."
When you registered did it show under "Promotions"?
Old May 29, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm currently enrolled in the Road to Platinum Challenge and the rep specifically told me it would NOT show up under promotions or my account. HTH!
Old May 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Strange...I wonder why Taste shows up and Road doesn't. I think some parts were missing (where the dots are) from the C&P but it clearly states the terms.

Earn with every stay
Book Now.
Your Progress See how much you've been earning.
Taste of Gold

Stays You've Made

Your Progress:
50% there

Your goal:
Gold Elite status

You’ve struck gold: Enjoy Gold Elite status with Marriott RewardsŪ
See Details

Terms and conditions
You’re Registered New rewards await your next stay.
Marriott RewardsŪ Getaway Bonus

Your Recent Promotions These are over. See how you did.
MegaBonusŪ

Stays You've Made

Your total:
Free Night Certificate

Your goal:
2 free nights
Old May 29, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by beckoa
No, it didn't show under promotions. But the MR did send an email outlining all of the terms and conditions of the RtG promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.