Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:58 pm

Reply to your confirmation email, stating that challenge has been completed and ask them to update your account. I'm pretty sure the agents misunderstand what you meant.

Regards.

Originally Posted by sofeea5664
Any help? Signed up for the Platinum challenge, got confirming email, completed it and called to upgrade to Platinum. Was then told they are no longer doing the challenge and will not upgrade. Even did mattress runs to complete and NEVER received any notification from Marriott that the challenge was discontinued or that anyone in the challenge would not be honored. Any specific department I can call to assist? Any help would be appreciated as otherwise I've wasted time and money.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sofeea5664
Any help? Signed up for the Platinum challenge, got confirming email, completed it and called to upgrade to Platinum. Was then told they are no longer doing the challenge and will not upgrade. Even did mattress runs to complete and NEVER received any notification from Marriott that the challenge was discontinued or that anyone in the challenge would not be honored. Any specific department I can call to assist? Any help would be appreciated as otherwise I've wasted time and money.
Call the Marriott rewards help line. Tell them you enrolled in the challenge, you got a confirmation email and completed it, but your status hasn't been updated. They should be able to update it manually without issues.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
How can I tell if everything was done correctly? I signed up for the Platinum challenge, got Platinum immediately, and completed the 18 nights. I haven't received formal notice, though.

I tried requesting a new membership card (to see the expiration date), but I couldn't get one (it said I requested one within the last 6 weeks, so maybe everything did work).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
assuming that your qualification period has ended, if your MR status still shows as plat then you can consider yourself notified...........

Originally Posted by sethb
How can I tell if everything was done correctly? I signed up for the Platinum challenge, got Platinum immediately, and completed the 18 nights. I haven't received formal notice, though.

I tried requesting a new membership card (to see the expiration date), but I couldn't get one (it said I requested one within the last 6 weeks, so maybe everything did work).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sethb

No confirmation is sent. You can either call the MR line or wait until the 90 from the day you started the challenge have passed and check online if you're still Plat.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
assuming that your qualification period has ended, if your MR status still shows as plat then you can consider yourself notified...........
As of today it ended, and I'm still Platinum. It also shows 55 nights and no longer says I need 20 to retain Platinum for next year, so I guess I'm good.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Cheap alternatives to meet Plat Challenge

I received an email offering to allow me to maintain my Platinum status with only 20 nights from October 1 through December 31. My planned stays for the remainder of the year come to about 10 nights (although some of them were going to be at a Hilton). That means I will need to do a mattress run for the remaining 10+ nights. Unfortunately, I can't really take the vacation time before year end, which means I am limited to weekend stays. I might be able to squeeze in 5 or 6 weekend stays for the remaining 10+ nights, but there aren't many cheap Marriotts near me (and for some reason, the weekend rates tend to be higher).

Can anyone recommend any cheap alternatives to earn the nights? For example, will the meeting credit for 10 nights per meeting work for the Plat Challenge? I have never tried it, but if I can maintain Platinum with 1 (or even 2) meetings, I am willing to book a meeting room for the weekend just as a place to hang out. (Can you use the fitness facilities and swimming pool if you have booked a "meeting"?)

Any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
The ten nights per meeting will NOT work for the Platinum Challenge.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PT22064
I received an email offering to allow me to maintain my Platinum status with only 20 nights from October 1 through December 31.
Interesting. I would like to get one like that, too. Can you ask for it or do they just send these to who they decide are worth the offer, ie people who they think might not achieve the normal nights needed to renew plat but who still are good enough customers?

OT: Would be nice if they offered credit card deal to us non us/canada/uk residents as well. Would be way easier to maintain the status.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PT22064
I received an email offering to allow me to maintain my Platinum status with only 20 nights from October 1 through December 31. My planned stays for the remainder of the year come to about 10 nights (although some of them were going to be at a Hilton). That means I will need to do a mattress run for the remaining 10+ nights. Unfortunately, I can't really take the vacation time before year end, which means I am limited to weekend stays. I might be able to squeeze in 5 or 6 weekend stays for the remaining 10+ nights, but there aren't many cheap Marriotts near me (and for some reason, the weekend rates tend to be higher).

Can anyone recommend any cheap alternatives to earn the nights? For example, will the meeting credit for 10 nights per meeting work for the Plat Challenge? I have never tried it, but if I can maintain Platinum with 1 (or even 2) meetings, I am willing to book a meeting room for the weekend just as a place to hang out. (Can you use the fitness facilities and swimming pool if you have booked a "meeting"?)

Any insight or suggestions would be most appreciated.
How many nights are in your account already? In other words, how far are you requalifying for Platinum the normal way?

The meeting will count toward the normal way, not toward this special way that the email gave you, which is why need your full information.

Also, how valuable to you are the Platinum vs Gold benefits? To many, they're not great enough to be worth a lot of extra work to get the extra 25 nights. But are you going to be able to qualify for Gold a lot more easily? (We can't tell because you explained what the email offered, not how many nights are in your account for the year to date.)

I don't know that the difference between Gold and Plat would be enough for most people to want to do a lot of mattress runs to get Plat if they can get Gold without any such extra expense. However, the difference between Silver and Gold is quite another thing.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How many nights are in your account already? In other words, how far are you requalifying for Platinum the normal way?

The meeting will count toward the normal way, not toward this special way that the email gave you, which is why need your full information.

Also, how valuable to you are the Platinum vs Gold benefits? To many, they're not great enough to be worth a lot of extra work to get the extra 25 nights. But are you going to be able to qualify for Gold a lot more easily? (We can't tell because you explained what the email offered, not how many nights are in your account for the year to date.)

I don't know that the difference between Gold and Plat would be enough for most people to want to do a lot of mattress runs to get Plat if they can get Gold without any such extra expense. However, the difference between Silver and Gold is quite another thing.
IIRC Marriott has in the past tended to do soft landings, so presumably the OP would be Gold next year regardless of how many nights (including any rollover) are in the account. If OP has already earned Gold and stays at Gold, there could be some rollover into next year which would not happen if OP gets Plat through the special offer.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:03 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
Cheap alternatives to meet Plat Challenge

Honestly. Is Plat really worth it?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by HealthyAcademic
Honestly. Is Plat really worth it?
Each person has to decide for him/herself. Plat gets you 50% bonus pts, Plat override (which works most of the time), Plat arrival gift, upgrades more often than Golds usually get (but not guaranteed), Plat line. Whether that's enough for someone to go the extra only they can determine.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mindrisa
The ten nights per meeting will NOT work for the Platinum Challenge.
true but depending on the # of actual nights still needed to requalify doing Meetings may be cheaper then doing nights 11-20
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:40 am

Platinum challenge granted but confused with the validity dates

I just applied a Platinum challenge days ago and I think I heard the agent say that if I achieve the status, it's gonna be valid all through the year 2015. But when I called in yesterday and wanted them to send me a confirmation email, the agent could not confirm that at all. Actually he couldn't tell me at all til when the status is gonna be valid. He put me on hold for really long and came back saying that two of his colleagues had two different answers. One said it's gonna expire in Feb 2015, and the other said it depends on how the challenge application is done and nothing is set on stone.

According to my research, it seems that if the status is achieved before the end of Feb, it's only valid til Feb the next year. Is that true?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.