Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I got this too. I had about 20 nights too for the year, so I am wondering if that is the trigger.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:03 pm

Qualifying on both Gold Challenge and nights?

Just recently qualified for Gold through 2015 by completing the Gold Challenge. However, also due to CC and rollover nights, I'm at 46 this year and will only need a couple more. Is it worth trying to get to 50 nights at all? Or an incentive to somehow stay below and keep at 46? (Basically what will happen to RO if I am already qualified as Gold through another means)
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Since the rollover nights for this year, if any, don't roll over again, none, so jus stay at another brand....

Originally Posted by joetro
Just recently qualified for Gold through 2015 by completing the Gold Challenge. However, also due to CC and rollover nights, I'm at 46 this year and will only need a couple more. Is it worth trying to get to 50 nights at all? Or an incentive to somehow stay below and keep at 46? (Basically what will happen to RO if I am already qualified as Gold through another means)
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:38 pm

Only 20 nights are rollover so those will go for sure.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Since you say you're gold thru 2015 all nights earned this year will go and you won't have any ROs....

Only 00 nights are rollover so those will go for sure.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I'm (obviously) Silver, with 20 nights this year. I'm sure this offer is targeted, but here's the link:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/pro...promotion=EE12
I got this as well, with only 6 nights.

My question, what is the value of Gold? Is it worth it for me to spend $200-$300 to get it over my current plans?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by matdwyer

My question, what is the value of Gold? Is it worth it for me to spend $200-$300 to get it over my current plans?
Depends on how many golds they produce as a result of this promotion. If its a large promotion with a huge influx of golds coming in then the benefits would not be that great (due to increased competition for upgrades etc). If its a small targeted promotion then it may be worth it. I have never done mattress runs, but if you need to have stays anyway then it would probably be worthwhile to move the stays to marriott if your going to need the status in the future.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

Tough call. The only thing I would count on as Gold is Lounge access and little else (maybe some extra bonus points). If you stay at FS or above, M to F's and your employer DOES NOT pay for food or internet access, then it might be worth it. I rarely enjoy breakfast or the evening offerings and have an aircard so I would probably decline but YMMV.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:10 am

If you are silver and you reserve min. 6 nights you will get automatically updated. I will be staying more then 6 nights in November and I do not remember signing up for any kind of deal. My status shows as Gold while I am definetly Silver with 13 nights.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If you are Gold on the last day of this year, regardless of how, you will need more than 50 'earned' nights posted to your account this year. Rollover nights from last year do not count as earned. So if your account currently shows a total of 46 nights and 20 are rollover nights, you will need 24 more earned nights before any rollover nights will be applied next year.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just saw this from a marriott associate re: the challenges:

"We just checked in with our team on this one and they said that the “Taste of Elite” offer that a guest could just call up and ask for is no longer available. It will now only be offered during set promotional time frames. I hope that helps answer your question!"

So it looks like they may offer the challenges again in the future, but only on their time frames.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: United Mileagplus
Hmm so it seems that you may be randomly made "Gold"/Gold challenge. Here I am am Silver with 23 nights and at-least 6 multi night stays for the remainder of the year.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Tough call. The only thing I would count on as Gold is Lounge access and little else (maybe some extra bonus points). If you stay at FS or above, M to F's and your employer DOES NOT pay for food or internet access, then it might be worth it. I rarely enjoy breakfast or the evening offerings and have an aircard so I would probably decline but YMMV.
Thanks - I pay for all my travel out of pocket and it's all pleasure. 99% of the stays have been at Fairfield Inn's around airports to get a good balance of price, breakfast, and location.

Do lounges usually have free beer/booze? That might be helpful.

Most of my upcoming travel is in December, with only 1 planned paid trip up until my Nov 30th deadline for taste of gold. I guess if I work with megabonus I could spend $75/night x 4 and get gold along with 2 free cat 5 certs, so it seems worth while as I value those at about $100 anyway.

If anyone has any further opinions would love to hear them!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

beer - most, if not all
booze - some yes.......others no..........

Do lounges usually have free beer/booze?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, SPG Gold, MR Platinum, Hilton Gold
Marriott Elite challenges discontinued?

Hey folks,

I called Marriott (twice) and emailed [email protected] to ask about status challenges.

All three times I was told that the program has been discontinued.

Text of email is, "Unfortunately, Marriott does not match the status received from a competing hotel groups, and our Taste of Elite challenges are no longer available. I apologize for any inconvenience"

Has anyone else had a similar experience with them?
Do you have recommendations for reaching elite status faster?
Counting all my travel in this year, I'm about 10 nights away from Gold. I have the Marriott Rewards card so can get a night for every $3,000 I spend, but $30,000 is a lot to spend in the next three months...

Thx
Vanessa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.