Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:14 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mediator
Wiki Link
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 28, 13, 7:21 pm
  #1636  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thailand
Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Posts: 5,023
a UA-silver actually got upgraded.................now that is news!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Red259 View Post
I've gotten the other benefits just no upgrades. Plus I flew first class due to the united tie in.
BKKLEE is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 7:31 pm
  #1637  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guangzhou, China
Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 187
I think some tend to forget that there was a good reason for the upfront status.

If I am already a gold/diamond member of another program they can hardly expect me to make several stays with them without status. They should have just checked their applicants more carefully instead of just changing their policy in general.
Plissken is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 7:33 pm
  #1638  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 2,149
Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
a UA-silver actually got upgraded.................now that is news!!!!!!!!!!
Yea slim chances of that happening again, but it was sooo worth it. On a side note my economy seat had the most legroom I have ever had on a plane in my life. Again got the seat thanks to the united tie in with Marriott.
Red259 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 7:39 pm
  #1639  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thailand
Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Posts: 5,023
yet you earlier posted that UA had upgraded you to F????????
(and in the, IMO domestic F-seats are even smaller then int'l C-class!)........

Originally Posted by Red259 View Post
Yea slim chances of that happening again, but it was sooo worth it. On a side note my economy seat had the most legroom I have ever had on a plane in my life. Again got the seat thanks to the united tie in with Marriott.
BKKLEE is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 7:44 pm
  #1640  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 2,149
Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
yet you earlier posted that UA had upgraded you to F????????
(and in the, IMO domestic F-seats are even smaller then int'l C-class!)........
Yes it was even more legroom than the f seat. Was a bulkhead seat on airbus. Th f seat was on a 737 so different planes
Red259 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 8:20 pm
  #1641  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Plat (cc)
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
I think some tend to forget that there was a good reason for the upfront status.

If I am already a gold/diamond member of another program they can hardly expect me to make several stays with them without status. They should have just checked their applicants more carefully instead of just changing their policy in general.
I kind of always thought the point of status with a corporation/franchise was to reward your loyalty with them, not the other way around.
pooker is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 8:23 pm
  #1642  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thailand
Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Posts: 5,023
Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
I think some tend to forget that there was a good reason for the upfront status.
If I am already a gold/diamond member of another program they can hardly expect me to make several stays with them without status. They should have just checked their applicants more carefully instead of just changing their policy in general.
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
I kind of always thought the point of status with a corporation/franchise was to reward your loyalty with them, not the other way around.
+1000 (as if Hilton/SPG/Hyatt/etc would give Plissken, or anyone else, immediate equal status in their program for having Marriott S/G/P during one of their challenges !!)

Last edited by BKKLEE; Aug 28, 13 at 9:04 pm
BKKLEE is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 9:06 pm
  #1643  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guangzhou, China
Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
I kind of always thought the point of status with a corporation/franchise was to reward your loyalty with them, not the other way around.
That is only partially true, otherwise there would be no challenges at all. In the End its just as much a marketing tool to get new customers (especially from competing chains) as it is a tool to retain already loyal customers. Moreover the idea is that i want to try a service before i decide to invest in its retention.

@BKKLEE i got instant Platinum Elite with IHG, instant Diamond with HYATT and Gold with Hilton better inform yourself I know I know you are bitter because in your eyes you should be the only one having Platinum with Marriot for which you have worked so hard over centuries
Plissken is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 10:18 pm
  #1644  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 2,149
Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
That is only partially true, otherwise there would be no challenges at all. In the End its just as much a marketing tool to get new customers (especially from competing chains) as it is a tool to retain already loyal customers. Moreover the idea is that i want to try a service before i decide to invest in its retention.

@BKKLEE i got instant Platinum Elite with IHG, instant Diamond with HYATT and Gold with Hilton better inform yourself I know I know you are bitter because in your eyes you should be the only one having Platinum with Marriot for which you have worked so hard over centuries
I tried to get plat with ihg and they want a list of my points and stays. How many did you have when you applied?
Red259 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:29 pm
  #1645  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guangzhou, China
Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by Red259 View Post
I tried to get plat with ihg and they want a list of my points and stays. How many did you have when you applied?
I sent them a screenshot of my Hilton Gold Account but only had like 4 stays back then as it was rather early in the year. I guess it was more about proofing that you are really Gold.
Plissken is offline  
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:36 am
  #1646  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,498
We're going off the rails here, folks.

Bruce
Moderator
bdschobel is offline  
Old Aug 29, 13, 2:39 pm
  #1647  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 90
data point - plat challenge

called the MR #, requested for the plat challenge and got it right away. she did mentioned she will have to manually track it (they used to be able to track it automatically?) because the challenge is no longer available and she's making an exception..?

9 stays in 3 months.
loves_2_travel is offline  
Old Aug 29, 13, 3:34 pm
  #1648  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/SPG Gold/Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by mirror74 View Post
I believe that this 12 months ban for another challenge was stated in mail form MR CC only if my previous (Gold) challenge would fail, which it did not... but unclear if this provision is also valid for possible try to get (first ime ever) Taste of Platinum challenge...
I'd also be interested in this since we have a ton of stays coming up for our honeymoon in SE Asia. I completed my Gold challenge last fall (Aug-Oct I believe). I also already have 15 nights with Marriott this year.
Majikow is offline  
Old Aug 30, 13, 1:03 am
  #1649  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Europe
Programs: AY Plat, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 475
Originally Posted by Majikow View Post
I'd also be interested in this since we have a ton of stays coming up for our honeymoon in SE Asia. I completed my Gold challenge last fall (Aug-Oct I believe). I also already have 15 nights with Marriott this year.
All the info I have managed to get is that another challenge is possible 12 months or more after the previous one (successfully or unsuccessfully) ended.
mirror74 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 13, 4:25 am
  #1650  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Europe
Programs: AY Plat, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 475
Taste of Gold and Taste of Platinum challenges appear to be killed by Marriott and "ordinary" Platinum elites...

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...ty-challenges/

Oh, well... you can always have MR Gold through UA Gold or above status... if partnership will last, of course...
mirror74 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread