Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm considering doing the plat challenge. I will have Hilton gold shortly, but will have a number of stays coming up where I should easily be able to meet the plat challenge. Is it worth it? One of the things that interests me is the United status that you can get. I won't be able to earn united status this year via other means. Are there significant benefits to marriot Plat over marriot gold? With marriot is it easier to generate points for free stays than it is with Hilton? I looked into other loyalty programs like Hyatt, but their footprint just is not big enough to cover the places I wish to visit to make a challenge worthwhile. How is marriot overseas in places like Japan and China, since these are regions I would like to visit in 2014. Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
here are your answers.........
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi

Originally Posted by Red259
How is marriot overseas in places like Japan and China, since these are regions I would like to visit in 2014.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tirreg
Unfortunately I have to book my stays using our company tool which does not transfer my MR number. So only a few - private - bookings were visible when I asked for the challenge.
It's too late now for this time around, but can't you call customer service, tell them about the (company) reservations and get them to add your MR number?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
It's too late now for this time around, but can't you call customer service, tell them about the (company) reservations and get them to add your MR number?
What's too late?

I initially called my local chinese MR customer service and was told the typical CANNOT and given the gold challenge... So later I sent an email to the promotions address explaining that China had given me the gold but that was not sufficient...

"Manually Tracked" for the platinum - was gold during the challenge, hit 9 stays sent an email and platinum the next day.

It's never too late.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Plat Challenge after Gold Challenge?

Hello everyone. I successfully completed a Gold challenge about 18 months ago. Since reattaining Gold, my work & travel situations have changed (increased nights). Does anyone know if I can call for a Plat challenge since I've already done a challenge in the past?

Thanks for your insight!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by tryanjordan
Hello everyone. I successfully completed a Gold challenge about 18 months ago. Since reattaining Gold, my work & travel situations have changed (increased nights). Does anyone know if I can call for a Plat challenge since I've already done a challenge in the past?

Thanks for your insight!
1 every 12 months.

So you should be good.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Originally Posted by knopfler
Feb 2015, right?
yes, you are right!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
1 Challenge/12 Months

Originally Posted by superpilot21
1 every 12 months.

So you should be good.
You, sir/madam, are correct! Just got bumped to platinum. Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Do you get an email when you successfully complete the challenge?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Sorry. Double post
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by mbece
Do you get an email when you successfully complete the challenge?
I did not.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:41 am

I just called and got a Gold challenge really easy although I've just registered for the reward program last week. I took it because I know the maximum stays I can get within the next 3 months is 6-7 stays. In addition, my account is so new so requesting platinum challenge may sound unreasonable.
If I make it, I'll have gold status until Jan 2015, which is really good for me since I don't stay at hotels very often.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:54 am

nice work!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:45 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
live and learn that ignoring their (alleged) unilateral enrollment might lead to disappointments later on, but at least they gave you the challenge (which they did NOT have to do) even if w/o immediate upgrade benees..........
As a follow-up, I emailed elite.member with my explanation the next day, but didn't receive a response - I also included screenshots of my SPG 74 nights this year and my bookings that were already in place during that previous automatic Gold challenge.

I called back a few days later with the same request, and was told the same thing. I was very pleasant - like last time - and explained that I had been travelling when I was automatically enrolled in the challenge, with my stays all booked with SPG.

Agent was pleasant and re-offered the manual challenge, so I explained that I had several upcoming stays and was looking to enjoy my status ahead of time. I asked if there was a supervisor who may be able to help me out.

The agent said no problem, and put me on hold. I expected to talk to someone to plead my case, but the CSR came back on after a few minutes, and said they would enroll me in the Platinum Challenge manually, but would grant me immediate Gold status.

Additionally, they granted me Gold status for the rest of the year, regardless of the outcome of my challenge.

Pays to be pleasant - my 9th stay will end tonight.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Thuan Nguyen
I just called and got a Gold challenge really easy although I've just registered for the reward program last week. I took it because I know the maximum stays I can get within the next 3 months is 6-7 stays. In addition, my account is so new so requesting platinum challenge may sound unreasonable.
If I make it, I'll have gold status until Jan 2015, which is really good for me since I don't stay at hotels very often.
I am considering switching over to Marriott. Although I would strongly prefer the plat challenge vs Gold. Is it difficult to get the plat challenge with persistence? If they only are willing to give the gold, can I call in after 9 stays and asked to be bumped up to plat? I saw someone else was able to do that, but was not sure how out of the ordinary it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.