FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

aerobinso Oct 27, 2017 12:32 pm

I can add a data point about HUCA. The first time I was put on hold after calling the Marriott Rewards number for about 10 min and then told that it just couldn't be done because Chase is very strict. I then called the number on the back of the Ritz card (for Ritz rewards--which seemed to route to the same place as Marriott Rewards when the person eventually answered). That person put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back to say that they were extended a year from the date of the call (which was about 3 weeks before expiry).

al613 Dec 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Just called a number on the back of the card and got it extended 12 month. I did use my credit card a little after receiving the bonus.

iowa guy Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am

Chase Marriott anniversary free-night

I'd like to be able to use the Marriott anniversary free-night before it expires but I won't be able to. Are there any ways to extend the expiration? Would I be able to book the night, before it expires, to a later date--about 4 months later? I am trying to find a post I read several months ago that said, if I recall, that someone called Chase and asked for the expiration to be extended and it worked...I think.

philemer Dec 19, 2017 11:23 am

Moved to appropriate forum. You just need to call Marriott, not Chase, and beg. I have heard of a few success stories but very few.

mia Dec 19, 2017 12:06 pm

I would look here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...rtificate.html

GoSh4rks Dec 20, 2017 12:30 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 29193261)
Moved to appropriate forum. You just need to call Marriott, not Chase, and beg. I have heard of a few success stories but very few.

I called in to the 801 area code number and it took less than a minute to get it done. Was extended 12 months from the date I called. Probably helped that I had 60 some odd nights on the year though.

LAX Dec 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I wonder if these recent successes in extension resulted from Chase relaxing its policy due to the impending competition with Amex.

LAX

philemer Dec 23, 2017 4:11 pm

3/29/18 cert extended 5 days

Called today to make a rez. for 5 days after the cert. expires and the CSR said "shouldn't be a problem". He put me on hold and called Marriott Rewards and they OKed it. SWEET!

charlesonmission Dec 29, 2017 10:58 am

Here was my experience.
  • Called 801 number and CSR said the cert couldn't be extended because I no longer had the credit card. I actually wanted to book a night with the cert that was 1 month beyond the expiration date, but I didn't really get that far in the conversation.
  • I booked the night with 25K.
  • I then used the Marriott.com contact feature to ask if they could apply the cert.
  • 2 days later, a CSR said she would forward it to the appropriate department.
  • Today, the reservation is updated. Here is what is interesting. The points are refunded, I also see some activity in my profile related to cert transactions. On the reservation now, it says to call a number since the reservation can't be modified online. I'm happy with the outcome because we intend to stay there that night. It's unclear what happens if I cancel the night (25K points refunded?/or the cert is back??)
I'm really hoping Marriott/Chase change the benefit of the card with the new releases. It can be tough finding a category 5 or below in many cities. The place we were going to use it must have gone to category 6. No problem I thought, I'll use it for another trip, but then that trip is beyond the 1 year mark. I'd be curious if the benefit becomes points each year - or maybe a no AF card that offers Silver, but no certificate each year. IHG's certificate is great and Hyatt's has categories 4 which actually works in cities. I'm sure Marriott already has all of this feedback - so here's hoping that they get a much better deal with the new credit card.

TravelPhotographer Jan 27, 2018 9:51 am

any way to delay free 1-night cat. 1-5 voucher?

is there trick for delaying? my voucher now must be used on or before Feb 16;
(making reservation pre Feb 16 for post Feb 16 don't work, said phone rep)
would prefer to use it March 2-12 in Mexico City... thanks!

UpgradeMe Jan 27, 2018 10:11 am

Just one of dozens of threads on this topic:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...rtificate.html

TravelPhotographer Jan 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks!
Do other threads contain additional advice.
Only 2 comments in your link.
But someone did mention getting 6 mo. extension -- FOR REAL???

beltway Jan 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29347887)
Thanks!
Only 2 comments in your link.
But someone did mention getting 6 mo. extension -- FOR REAL???

I've repeatedly extended anniversary certs, always receiving a one-year extension from the date of the request (so best to call shortly before the original expiry). You can do this only once for a given cert.

Srisarin Jan 28, 2018 12:34 am

That's great and most if not all of us get likewise if we've had Marriott Visa activity but I think the OP is asking about extending not the yearly cert from Visa but the limited duration last megabonus cert which specifically stated in the promo as being not extendable

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 29347987)
I've repeatedly extended anniversary certs, always receiving a one-year extension from the date of the request (so best to call shortly before the original expiry). You can do this only once for a given cert.

TravelPhotographer Jan 28, 2018 9:54 am

Phone rep said cat.1-5 voucher extension requires still having the cc.
I don't -- cancelled to avoid AF &-or prepare for future churn.
Anyone get extension despite not have the cc...?
(am Silver Elite, did not help)

UpgradeMe Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29347887)

Search is your friend. Really.

dayone Jan 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29349382)

Yes. Called, asked and new cert issued.

charlesonmission Jan 29, 2018 4:52 am

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29349382)
Phone rep said cat.1-5 voucher extension requires still having the cc.
I don't -- cancelled to avoid AF &-or prepare for future churn.
(am Silver Elite, did not help)

Yes, try booking the room on points, and then sending a message through Marriott.com asking the cert to be applied. I did this recently, other reports of it working as well.

RNE Jan 29, 2018 8:04 am

Wanted to book a free night in June, but the certificate expires in April. Called to extend it. Was told no because it was too soon to extend it. Asked if I could use it to book the night in June? No.

RNE, asking what gives?

RogerD408 Jan 29, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 29352739)
Wanted to book a free night in June, but the certificate expires in April. Called to extend it. Was told no because it was too soon to extend it. Asked if I could use it to book the night in June? No.

RNE, asking what gives?

Correct the cert can not be used for that stay yet. What you can do is book an award stay (don't need the points now) to preserve the dates you want and then once they can extend the cert you can apply it to the rez.

Liquid_G Feb 8, 2018 11:31 am

Just thought I'd share my experience / datapoint. Had 2 certs expiring before I could actually use them (Megabonus expring 5/1 and the Cardmember Anniversary one expiring 3/31). Trying to book a few nights in different places in late May.
I called in the reservation line saying i was having trouble using a certificate on a certain date. (past the expiration) Rep explained that they have to be used before they expire, not just booked.
I asked if there was any way to extend? Rep transferred me to Rewards department.
Explained the situation that I'm trying to book hotels today using those certs.
Rep was super nice and offered to extend them for me without even asking.
She was able to extend the Megabonus one for 6 months from today, Anniversary one for 1yr .

If it matters I'm Gold Elite (just barely made it for first time last year) and currently still have the CC.

Orange County Commuter Mar 6, 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Liquid_G (Post 29394837)
Just thought I'd share my experience / datapoint. Had 2 certs expiring before I could actually use them (Megabonus expring 5/1 and the Cardmember Anniversary one expiring 3/31). Trying to book a few nights in different places in late May.
I called in the reservation line saying i was having trouble using a certificate on a certain date. (past the expiration) Rep explained that they have to be used before they expire, not just booked.
I asked if there was any way to extend? Rep transferred me to Rewards department.
She was able to extend the Megabonus one for 6 months from today, Anniversary one for 1yr .

If it matters I'm Gold Elite (just barely made it for first time last year) and currently still have the CC.

Thanks! I have a Megabonus that's getting ready to expire. I would like to use it in June so I am going to call and see if there's anyway to extend. If not, I will live!

RNE Mar 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 29352739)
Wanted to book a free night in June, but the certificate expires in April. Called to extend it. Was told no because it was too soon to extend it. Asked if I could use it to book the night in June? No. RNE, asking what gives?

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 29352932)
Correct the cert can not be used for that stay yet. What you can do is book an award stay (don't need the points now) to preserve the dates you want and then once they can extend the cert you can apply it to the rez.

Forgot to mention that the certificate in question is a Visa Annual Free Night. That seems to be salient, because I called Marriott Rewards today and when I requested a 2-month extension (from April 10), they said no dice because I had not charged anything on my Marriott Visa card in the last year. I'm going to call again in a few days because that rejection seems capricious to me.

RNE, undeterred.

jtp1947 Mar 29, 2018 11:04 am

My experience was the same when I called in. My wife and I each have the Marriott CC. My certificate was extended a year but not my wife's because she doesn't use the card.

abhilife2001 Apr 2, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Liquid_G (Post 29394837)

I have a MB certificate expiring on 3/5.. Also have their business CC. Called to check on possibility to extend this cert for a few months and was told that since this is a promotional certificate and not a credit card linked one, it is not possible to extend this. :((
Any guidance on how to get this done for MB certificate ?

majortom421 Apr 2, 2018 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 29594659)
I have a MB certificate expiring on 3/5.. Also have their business CC. Called to check on possibility to extend this cert for a few months and was told that since this is a promotional certificate and not a credit card linked one, it is not possible to extend this. :((
Any guidance on how to get this done for MB certificate ?

I recently got an extension on a Category 1-5 MB certificate. I used the on-line chat function in the Marriott web site and told the representative that I wanted to book a room for a date that was a few days past the expiration date. He extended the certificate for six months with no problem. I am a Marriott Gold but I don't know if that mattered in this situation.

abhilife2001 Apr 3, 2018 11:01 am

Originally Posted by majortom421 (Post 29595626)
I recently got an extension on a Category 1-5 MB certificate. I used the on-line chat function in the Marriott web site and told the representative that I wanted to book a room for a date that was a few days past the expiration date. He extended the certificate for six months with no problem. I am a Marriott Gold but I don't know if that mattered in this situation.

This worked, thanks for the advice :)

GoSh4rks Sep 19, 2018 12:29 am

Has anybody done this since the merger?

iowa guy Sep 19, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by majortom421 (Post 29595626)
I used the on-line chat function in the Marriott web site

1) Is the online chat function still available on the Marriott web site? I can't seem to find it. I've sent emails to them but have not had a response since I sent them a week+ ago.
2) I've been trying to contact Marriott regarding using my annual free night from Chase Visa. I, embarrassingly, have been caught off guard regarding the new value of the free night. I thought it was worth 35,000 points but now see it is worth 25,000 points. Is there any way that I can apply the annual free night to a 35,000 point stay and pay the difference between the free night value of 25,000 points with cash or points in my account?

Thanks

abhilife2001 Sep 20, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30220535)
1) Is the online chat function still available on the Marriott web site? I can't seem to find it. I've sent emails to them but have not had a response since I sent them a week+ ago.
Thanks

I am in the same boat. Have a certificate expiring in 2 weeks and need to get that extended. :(

soy Sep 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 30224299)
I am in the same boat. Have a certificate expiring in 2 weeks and need to get that extended. :(

Please post back with how this works out. We could do with some recent DP's :)

njfan07 Nov 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by soy (Post 30227039)
Please post back with how this works out. We could do with some recent DP's :)

My cert was expiring next week and called the Rewards number. Very helpful rep called a hotel I wanted to book but no availability so she had the expiration date pushed back for a year. Checked my acct and the cert is now good until Nov 2019.

metoo Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am

Hopefully this thread is for the Travel package 7 nights certificate. I have the new Category 1-4 certificate for 7 nights which expires in September 2019. Am I able to extend it for another year? I probably won't be using it till early 2020.

thanks

wobbly wings Dec 15, 2018 6:28 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30220535)
2) I've been trying to contact Marriott regarding using my annual free night from Chase Visa. I, embarrassingly, have been caught off guard regarding the new value of the free night. I thought it was worth 35,000 points but now see it is worth 25,000 points. Is there any way that I can apply the annual free night to a 35,000 point stay and pay the difference between the free night value of 25,000 points with cash or points in my account?
Thanks

I'm also looking for the chat button and I also assumed my CAT5 cert was worth 35,000pts but it now says 25,000. Is there a way of adding the remaining 10000 points from the account?

navatwal Dec 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Any recent DP's on extending Free night certs? I have a free night 60k cert expiring in a few months

msp3 Jan 2, 2019 3:25 am

If you've extended an old cat 1-5 cert once, is near expiry once more (as a new cat 1-4), possible to extend again?

In the past the answer was always no, am curious if merger has made any difference. Was told once they can talk to properties about accepting a lower level cert and you pay the difference.

Also, can you simply book by the expiry date, or must the cert itself be valid upon check-in?

arizonawildcat Jan 3, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm in the same predicament as a few of you here. Not too happy that my certificate is only worth 25K now vs the Category 1-5 value that was originally stated. Trying to find a hotel within driving distance of St. Louis over Presidents Day weekend to use this now as I am due to expire in early April and we already have Spring Break plans. Just looking to use two of these (one from credit card and another from Megabonus that I have already extended once) for a quick weekend stay somewhere. If anyone here has suggestions for a spot, I'm all ears!

kklems Jan 5, 2019 9:25 am

Originally Posted by msp3 (Post 30598369)
If you've extended an old cat 1-5 cert once, is near expiry once more (as a new cat 1-4), possible to extend again?

In the past the answer was always no, am curious if merger has made any difference. Was told once they can talk to properties about accepting a lower level cert and you pay the difference.

Also, can you simply book by the expiry date, or must the cert itself be valid upon check-in?

Data point from my spouse. Had a cat 1-5 certificate that was expiring 1/3/19. Called to extend and they said it had been extended once. The rep said she was unable to extend it but would forward it to her supervisor to see if they could do it as a courtesy. They said it would take up to a week and if it was extended the certificate would show online as with the new expiration date. Nothing happen and we wound up booking a night just to burn it.

edited to add she was a gold member with 40 nights

wobbly wings Jan 9, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 30606922)
I'm in the same predicament as a few of you here. Not too happy that my certificate is only worth 25K now vs the Category 1-5 value that was originally stated. Trying to find a hotel within driving distance of St. Louis over Presidents Day weekend to use this now as I am due to expire in early April and we already have Spring Break plans. Just looking to use two of these (one from credit card and another from Megabonus that I have already extended once) for a quick weekend stay somewhere. If anyone here has suggestions for a spot, I'm all ears!

I called asking whether I could add a further 10k pts and make a cat5 reservartion and was told that's not possible. If anyone has heard differently, I'd love to know.

pitflyer Jan 9, 2019 11:45 pm

Supposedly there was a short period where people were able to upgrade their old night certificates to meet the new point requirements, but that time has come and gone (it was an exception that existed for a short time). Sorry, stuck with what you have!