Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, SQ Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Welcome to FlyerTalk augustwolf! Thought-provoking review. It confirms my gut instinct not to try out this property.
Thanks, I've been lurking on the forums for years.

I should add that aloft's sparse breakfast buffet at 550B is a total rip-off compared to the infinitely superior spread at the Four Points (which we get comped anyway)

Disappointing as this was my last trip to Bangkok for a few months and I was tossing up between the aloft and St Regis which I haven't been to yet - went with the aloft just because I like trying out newly opened properties.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Thanks for the head ups guys, think I'll pass this hotel for my upcoming stays in Bangkok in January and will stay at the St Regis as usual. Can't wait for the W Bangkok to begin operations in the 2nd half of next year though
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by augustwolf
I should add that aloft's sparse breakfast buffet at 550B is a total rip-off compared to the infinitely superior spread at the Four Points (which we get comped anyway)
I have stayed here twice recently and thought the breakfast was quite generous- with the cooks making to order what ever you may like. I didn't pay 550 THB for breakfast either- it was 500 for two people booked through spg.com which works out to 250 THB p.p.p.n. which for a combination cooked-to-order and buffet is one of the better deals in Bangkok at the moment. Total rip off? I think you can find that at many BKK hotels for quite a few things- however aloft seems to have its feet firmly on the ground at the moment and has FREE internet which is a plus.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, SQ Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have stayed here twice recently and thought the breakfast was quite generous- with the cooks making to order what ever you may like. I didn't pay 550 THB for breakfast either- it was 500 for two people booked through spg.com which works out to 250 THB p.p.p.n. which for a combination cooked-to-order and buffet is one of the better deals in Bangkok at the moment. Total rip off? I think you can find that at many BKK hotels for quite a few things- however aloft seems to have its feet firmly on the ground at the moment and has FREE internet which is a plus.
250 would be more appropriate for what you get but doesn't count if you can only get that rate as part of a deal through the website. I was definitely quoted 550 per person as a walk-in at the restaurant, and I don't think it's worth that considering what you can get at other properties. And free internet is great I admit for non-elites but standard for plats across all propoerties so can't be considered as an additional benefit.

Speaking of standard platinum benefits, I got the following response from the aloft's GM:

"I understand your disappointment in relation to the benefits that are being offered to our Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest Members. The Platinum member benefits offered in Aloft properties are a global standard for the brand and include a 250 Starpoint bonus, Beverage Coupon, Late checkout and an additional 50% Starpoint accrual on all eligible spending. We are obliged to adhere to these benefits to ensure consistency between Aloft properties yet we would certainly welcome any changes made to the programme in the future that would allow us to further recognise our Platinum members."

I had thought that SPG policy entitled us to the best available room, period. Am I misunderstanding this and individual brands/properties can choose to provide upgrades at their discretion? I've been given suite upgrades at W's and St Regis' so I don't see why an aloft would see itself as above this.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:42 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
And free internet is great I admit for non-elites but standard for plats across all propoerties so can't be considered as an additional benefit.
Don't forget that not everyone is an SPG Plat.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The breakfast goes for THB 680++ per person at the JW Marriott Bangkok, last time I checked the prices there. THB 250 is not too bad for what is described above, even though the JWM's is very substantial.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:00 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Crossed over Augustwolf - staying on the 23rd for one night.

Came from the Airport taking the Local Line rail to Phaya Thai then BTS to Nana (Cost 45+25 baht). Even with rollaboard luggage and a trifold was an easy walk up Soi 11 to the hotel. You can pick it at night by the coloured lights on top (albeit no aloft sign - only at ground level).

Check in was swift and efficient. Was on the 2435baht a/i opening special. Given a room on the 16th floor (even number facing the apartment building closer to sukhumvit). Checked out the pool (empty at 7pm), gym looks nice (also empty) and the bar and restaurant (totally dead). As Gold all I got was a beverage coupon (non alcoholic) which was used for a crazily hot coffee in the morning. Also got the coupon for Bed/ Q which was used (the bed one saves an 800bht entry fee, although it comes with 2 drinks which are about 250-300bht a piece).

Couldn't fault the room - looked very nice and good shower although a little on the smaller side. Very much separate bathroom which goes against current hotel design trends.

A few photos to follow shortly.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The breakfast goes for THB 680++ per person at the JW Marriott Bangkok, last time I checked the prices there. THB 250 is not too bad for what is described above, even though the JWM's is very substantial.
Point of reference, I believe that SGS' breakfast is now 700++.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite

Speaking of standard platinum benefits, I got the following response from the aloft's GM:

"I understand your disappointment in relation to the benefits that are being offered to our Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest Members. The Platinum member benefits offered in Aloft properties are a global standard for the brand and include a 250 Starpoint bonus, Beverage Coupon, Late checkout and an additional 50% Starpoint accrual on all eligible spending. We are obliged to adhere to these benefits to ensure consistency between Aloft properties yet we would certainly welcome any changes made to the programme in the future that would allow us to further recognise our Platinum members."
The GM's reply is incorrect.

Starwood hotels must meet a minimum level of elite recognition in the SPG program; but that in no way inhibits a property from offering extra services to SW guests and SPG members.

For example, the minimum standard for SW properties with an executive or club lounge is to offer Platinum guests breakfast in the lounge; but many properties (especially in Bangkok) give Platinums the choice of either breakfast in the lounge or in the main breakfast buffet. SW properties must meet a minimum standard for elite recognition; but this does not preclude any property from offering additional benefits. In fact, in a competitive market, these types of perks make one property more attractive to guests than others.

I think the GM's reply demonstrates a lack of understanding of what the SW brand is really all about; and I hope that understanding improves soon.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
OK some images. Combination of a Point and Shoot and my Blackberry.

Last edited by moa999; Dec 26, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Point of reference, I believe that SGS' breakfast is now 700++.
Currently 740 (just checked out, that's what was on the thing you sign). I still love the SGS.

BTW, I walked over the Four Points and decided to redirect that stay later this week to the LM. The four points looks nice enough, and I'm sure they treat plats nicely there from reading its thread, but at the end of the day, it's still a four points. I'm sure for a lot of people it's a good choice and it's certainly IMO a better choice for plats than the Aloft.

-David
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
LIH Prem,

How far is the walk between Four Points and Aloft?

Thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclasfo
LIH Prem,

How far is the walk between Four Points and Aloft?

Thanks.
From Soi 11 to Soi 15- so two blocks and a half considering also the location on the sois of both the Four Points and the aloft.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Don't forget that not everyone is an SPG Plat.
Exactly.

As a gold I was very satisfied with the aloft twice this month. The only complaint I may have is that the air conditioner is a bit loud- although I have this complaint about many hotels in Bangkok so perhaps I am sensitive to this subject?

The design of the room is excellent for both working and relaxing, and given its smaller size the space has been used very effectively. I had to book a stay for two people for one weeknight this week including breakfast and internet this week for a spg gold member in BKK and spg.com yielded the following results (cash only- with cash and points something else could be worked out): 2611 bht + taxes+ service charges for the aloft vs. 5900+taxes+service charges for the SGS (best available rates for both properties). It is quite a large difference.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:15 pm

What's the wi-fi speed like? Fast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.