Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience with this hotel (now part of the Marriott extended family)?

It is located in the northern side of the city that they claim is charming, old, and prestigious. In numerous trips to Venice, I can't say I recall this neighborhood. Any insights to this area and the ease of getting in and out on foot/vaparetto?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Does anyone have any experience with this hotel (now part of the Marriott extended family)?

It is located in the northern side of the city that they claim is charming, old, and prestigious. In numerous trips to Venice, I can't say I recall this neighborhood. Any insights to this area and the ease of getting in and out on foot/vaparetto?
Some discussion on Tripadvisor. Mixed reviews.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Venice- Where to stay?

Any updated information on this hotel?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Stay in June

Originally Posted by bryanport
I'm staying there in June and will post an update then.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Completed a trip in January

Wife and I just completed a 4 night stay in January.

The hotel is off in a residential area and thus very quiet. 1st stop on the Orange Line water taxi (25 minutes to the hotel) and 50 Euro's for 2 people round trip from the airport.

The hotel is small and intimate, the dinning room has ca. 10 tables, the bar has I think 3 tables. Breakfest and Internet were included (Platinum) Breakfest is fine, nothing special, Choice of hot entree from menu and a good assortmant of pasteries, fruit, youghurt, cured meat, cereal, juice, etc.

You can walk to all of the attrractions in Venice within 15-20 minutes, there are a few mom and pop resturants close to the hotel and we ate in a few, these resturants rely on locals so the food and service are great.

Lots of pasta and pizza (flat wood fire style).

The hotel offers a free water taxi to Murano for a hand blown glass tour, you have to pay to come back unless you buy someting, we bought a nice piece and had it shipped home.

We shopped for days and found/bought a hand painted opera mask, not cheep but a piece of art.

Goldola rides are 80 Euro for 30 minutes, make sure they sing some and tell you about the architecture and famous homes.

Nice property and we would stay there again.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:54 pm

Anyone know if they offer free breakfast for Marriott Silver members?

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jabtravel
Anyone know if they offer free breakfast for Marriott Silver members?

Thanks!
The only fs Marriott affiliate in the world to offer free breakfast (admission to the lounge) to silvers, afaik, is the Hotel Minneapolis. So it's doubtful, in the extreme.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: marriott Platinum, hilton, starwood Gold Lifetime, goldpointplus, A-club
restaurants near the hotel

Originally Posted by bryanport
Hello everyone, I have stayed several times in this hotel which was the old embassy of the kingdom of France at the time of the republic of Venice (ie until 1797)
The best restaurant near the hotel is "La Colombina", very nice, very little restaurant, for those who enjoy eating raw fish and all shellfish

Paolo
Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Secret Marriotts

So, I emailed this hotel in Venice using the Boscolo website info on some questions and when they replied, the email had a Marriott disclaimer. Rather funny. I missed the announcements and press releases.

If I read this correctly and searched, these are considered Autograph collection, so if you are Gold, you would be eligible for free breakfast and hopefully at least a one-class upgrade. It appears this property would also provide a lounge access as well (I think they have one somewhere)?

Is the training recognition clear? I think a Plat member seemed that things went okay, but I wanted to be sure before I booked that the Gold benefits might make this a better option versus other Venice choices (I am also considering Molino Stucky, but that is for a different conversation).

I found the Boscolo website reservation way diffferent and difficult than if I used the Marriott website which made it a bit puzzling to understand the MR recognition and such.

Thanks,
Rasheed
Old May 14, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Silver, Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC
I stayed here for 2 nights in February as a Platinum on points. They did give me and Mrs. PHXDL free breakfast. There is no lounge.

They have a variety of types of rooms, but they gave us one over looking the front canal. It was beautiful and probably the nicest room that I have ever stayed in. But this hotel is the nicest hotel that I have ever stayed in.

This hotel also owns a private taxi/boat that makes three daily trips to Piazza San Marco. Both times, we were the only one in the boat.

The location is a little north of the Grand Canal, but we preferred the quiet solitude (we were there during Carnival). Plus, you can walk with luggage from the parking deck / train station.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
I am trying to choose between this property and the Hilton Molino Stucky for a trip this fall (I am both a Hilton Diamond and a Marriott Plat). I will be flying into Venice, spending 3 nights, renting a car to drive to Slovenia for a week, return to Venice for 2 more nights and then fly out. The biggest inconvenience from either property seems to be getting to and from the hotel to the car rental location at 496/H PIAZZALE ROMA, Venice.

Does anyone with experience at this property have any advice/suggestions to help with my decision?

Thanks.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Silver, Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC
Pick the Boscolo

The Boscolo Venezia is an easy walk (even with luggage) from the Piazza Roma. Plus, it is closer to VCE if you want to take a private taxi.

The Hilton Molino is actually on a different island south of the main Venice island. So, you will have to take the hotel shuttle or taxi every time you want to get to and from the main island (including Piazza Roma).
Old May 15, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PHXDL
The Hilton Molino is actually on a different island...
The Hilton is on Giudecca Island.

I found it to be charming and loved the romantic view of Venice. In addition, at my whim, I could be in Venice within a matter of minutes via the hotel's boat, or the always readily available water taxis.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by PHXDL
The Boscolo Venezia is an easy walk (even with luggage) from the Piazza Roma. Plus, it is closer to VCE if you want to take a private taxi.
I spent part of my honeymoon at the Boscolo Venezia (then called the "Grand Hotel Boscolo dei Dogi") back in 2004. I agree with PHXDL's comments. Though the location is away from the crowds, it is an easy walk to most locations of interest. Highly recommended.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Currently it doesn't look like I can get into the Boscolo Venezia on points the first part of my trip but I can the second so I'll probably split my two segments in Venice between the two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.