Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Costa Mesa, CA - Irvine, Newport, SNA John Wayne Orange Co

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Costa Mesa, CA - Irvine, Newport, SNA John Wayne Orange Co

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

I found a few threads describing individual properties but nothing comparing the Marriott properties near SNA John Wayne Orange Country airport. A recent reservation inquiry turned up 10 hotels in Costa Mesa, Irvine, Newport Beach and Fountain Valley.

My vote goes to the Marriott Costa Mesa (admittedly the only property I've visited in the area). All the rooms are "suites" though the combined sq footage in both rooms is less than some single rooms. The weekend rates were often comparable or lower to the RezInn and Courtyard alternatives in the area. Convenient self-parking in garage is $22 but does not seem to be enforced. The breakfast buffet is very good if part of your rate but not worth $17pp. The location is great - right off the San Diego Freeway (405) but not on top of freeway though you may hear a little freeway and airport noise (the latter has an evening curfew I think). The staff was very nice though the front desk had some trouble with my giftcard redemption.

One factor that is critical for me is availability of good reasonably priced food in the area. And here the hotel does not disappoint. There is a starbucks across the street and Jerry's Deli a couple of blocks down Anton. And many other options in South Coast Plaza Mall which is approx 4 blocks. The only minus point is that the hotel bar closes at 11pm.

Welcome comparisons, as I am sure there are quite a few FTers who pass through the area.

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:49 pm

Costa Mesa and Newport Bayview are the two best in the SNA area. I try to avoid the Irvine FS when able. The RI SNA on Main Street is solid. Friendly staff, prompt shuttle and within walking distance of a shopping center two blocks down on Main and Harvard.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I also recommend the Marriott Newport Bayview. It is the best for the money and every room is a suite. It is next to Upper Newport Bay which has a nice running/walking trail.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I actually like the Irvine Marriott. Standard architecture and rooms, to be sure, but the staff has always seemed a cut above. Also, I like being able to walk across the street to Il Fornaio and you can't beat the convenience to SNA airport.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:05 pm

Also consider Springhill Suites SNA

If going to South Coast Rep, the performing arts center or the mall, Marriott Costa Mesa is the most convenient. The location is great for any of those attractions with everything in walking distance; if one is car-less it offers a free airport shuttle and being so close to shopping, eateries and culture is a big asset. The negatives are that the suites are somewhat tired and not that large — and the parking is a rip off. This is also a lounge-less FS property that seems variable in terms of elite benefits.

If traveling with a car, the vote here would be for the newish Springhill Suites near the airport. It's the clean, modern Springhill design with the typical amenities including free limited breakfast and free parking. It's often the cheapest of the Marriott options.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:54 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I also recommend the Marriott Newport Bayview. It is the best for the money and every room is a suite. It is next to Upper Newport Bay which has a nice running/walking trail.
+1 And be sure to request a bay view room.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
+1 for SNA Residence Inn on Main near Jamboree. One of the nicer Residence Inns I've stayed at and convenient to the freeway. Lots of good places to eat nearby off Jamboree.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I always stay at the Newport Coast Villas (time share resort that books nights as well), but other than the hotel restaurants/bar, you have to drive to get to other food options. I like the large rooms and full kitchen when I have to stay for a week or two. The government rate is really good and there are no resort fees--but maybe that is just with the government rate.

Oh, and if you try to book the government rate and don't qualify, they have asked to see my ID every time I have stayed there. It is the only Marriott hotel that has asked to see it from me.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:03 pm

Been awhile since this thread was updated and I had a stay this past weekend
at the Costa Mesa Marriott. Great location with South Coast Plaza mall a few
blocks away. Starbucks and Quizno's are across the street. The hotel is
close to the freeway and shuttle service to SNA Airport is free. Self-service
parking at the hotel is $23 daily and the outdoor areas of the property are
clean and well maintained. As others have mentioned up thread the suites
themselves are a bit small and looking a bit worn. Though the bathroom was
spacious and bed comfy. We had breakfast included with the rate which was
good for the buffet. Cooked to order omelets are available
and tasted good. The buffet runs $21 per person if paying and since I'm not a
big breakfast guy myself, probably would just settle for something light off the
menu next time. Still like this property but just hope to see a renovation soon
and maybe lower the parking charge a bit.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mr27
Been awhile since this thread was updated and I had a stay this past weekend at the Costa Mesa Marriott.
Discussion about the Costa Mesa Marriott and nearby alternatives has splintered into several threads. Here are a few others that have seen updates in the past 1-2 years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ta-ana-ca.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...entral-oc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-marriott.html

At the risk of further fracturing the discussion () I agree with your assessment of the Costa Mesa Marriott. It's a comfortable if slightly worn hotel with friendly staff and a great location. It's my first choice near SNA. The rates can run high at times but occasionally I find a bargain.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The Costa Mesa Marriott rooms look like they haven't been updated in 20 years...are they really that old?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23341412-post7.html

AAA rate $70/night cheaper than the Marriott Irvine (which I'd rather do for work proximity reasons).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The property itself is that old; I've stayed there since the mid-90s Marriott Suites iteration when the parking was free and the beds had ghastly foam mattresses. It was always a cheaper alternative to the Westin South Coast Plaza next door. I haven't stayed there recently, so can't comment on the current decor, but it remains a solid choice for the area, IMO.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The Costa Mesa Marriott rooms look like they haven't been updated in 20 years...are they really that old?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23341412-post7.html

AAA rate $70/night cheaper than the Marriott Irvine (which I'd rather do for work proximity reasons).
The Marriott Irvine just completed a whole-property renovation, so that may also factor into why it is more $. Regrettably, there are very few suites at the Irvine Marriott, even after the renovation.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:55 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Good news for you; just completed a stay at the property this past weekend and they are going to be doing a significant renovation scheduled for "Fall 2019." Included will be a refresh of the rooms and the addition of an M-Lounge in the lobby.

As a recap, the top (11th) floor is designated as a Marriott Elite Floor and that's normally where I am placed. The suites have generally held up ok, but the bath tub and showers are showing their age and the awkward placement of the flat screen TVs in the room (the old tube TVs were better placed) is a little annoying. I'm hoping both of these items will be addressed in the renovation. Otherwise, great location and proximity to SNA, friendly staff, and all-suite layout makes this a solid choice in the area.
Xeno likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Having just booked this property for March 2020, I will monitor this thread to see if in fact the renovation and lounge become reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.