Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, PC Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Hi,

I've not spotted any posts on this new hotel, which is to be the first Residence Inn in the UK.

We're going to Hogmanay in Edinburgh this year, and just noticed it on the Marriott site. When I clicked through to reserve the hotel on points, the reward nights didn't seem to be loaded on the system.

Contacting reservations, it turns out that it's only a Cat. 4 (20,000 points per night). I'll post again once we've stayed there, but I've taken the opportunity to book for next year's Edinburgh festival too. 5 nights for 80,000 points seems like a steal to me

Cheers,
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's a new build hotel with Starbucks, peters yard (a very nice bakery) and Sainsburys local all at your doorstep.

The residence inn is in the heart of the old town - enjoy!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I'm staying here in (hopefully) the first week it opens - which last time I checked was early November (about 2 months ago it was 1st December). I notice that my November reservation only let me choose from smaller rooms and the larger suites weren't available till December so don't know whether that is a soft opening period. I'll report back and let you know what its like as a paid guest.

However, it will make a pleasant change from the dreary Marriott out on Glasgow road (where I'm typing this at the moment), just a shame its only 5 points per pound spent. The cat 4 is a nice touch though, makes the certificates a bit more usable. Not sure what the pricing is like now but when I was booking they were offering the cheapest rooms for only Ł76 per night.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, PC Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Rates are looking more like Ł210 now ! For short stays...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
The Ł76 price - which is described as an opening promo - is still available for at least some of 2011 as I have just booked it for Nov 9. However, a mysterious Ł10 tax surcharge has been added on - too low to be VAT so will have to take up with reception when I get there. Definitely a good addition to the Edinburgh scene.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
So I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in the second week of opening, here are my views. Its worth pointing out that this is only my second stay in a Residence Inn as the concept is new for Europe, I tend to spend my time in full service Marriotts and have spent much of the last 2 years around the two other Marriotts in Edinburgh.

Reception: Nice enough, fresh paint smell . Check-in was also swift and polite. It wasn't mentioned that I got a (two level) upgrade to one of their two room suites from a basic studio - a lost chance to "sell" themselves. The hotel felt quiet in general during all my interactions in the entry area, but all staff were polite and friendly.

Living Area/Kitchen: So, to say this is meant to be a long term stay hotel then I was slightly surprised that there wasn't a basic cooking plate. There was however a nice looking Bose microwave oven and cups/plates/cuttelry for 4 people along with a large fridge, dishwasher and kettle. I liked the living area, had a nice buffet and sofa, would easily take 2/3 people but you wouldn't be too comfortable having more than that there for any length of time. All the equipment in the rooms were was new and from a well known brand. No real welcome gifts just a few teabags and biscuits (e.g. no water) so everything is pretty bare.

Bedroom: My bedroom was small with a double bed, not much space around the edges but comfortable and with some very whizzy looking alarm clock. There was a small wardrobe, drawers, iron plus board and full length mirror so fully functional for a business stay.

Bathroom: No bath, only a walk-in shower (which I prefer). The sink was outside of the bathroom area itself, felt a little unstable when you rested your weight on it.

Entertainment: Two flat screen TVs (one for the main room and one for the bedroom), looked to be 32". They had a full UK freeview (about 40 channels) and the remote was easy enough to use. No in-room movies or DVD players available so if you didn't see anything on TV you'd have to look elsewhere. Otherwise from the hotel perspective it was I didn't attend any of the social evenings or eat breakfast, however it looked to be suitable enough for the price (good hours, 6.30 till 11 was mentioned for breakfast). Not sure if there was a gym/pool etc (I think not) as it wasn't mentioned and I didn't ask.

Location: The hotel is in an area that is still being developed, around it are new apartment blocks and offices, however within about 50m there are buildings still under construction (no noise at night). Taxis don't know the hotel yet, but do know the street. I always got a taxi here as it was a little out of the city centre, however it was close to the university area and I think in a year when everything around it is complete this will be quite a buzzing little area of the city, there were other shops/offices mentioned as opening soon.

So, in general a very nice place to stay - spacious and a small modern apartment. However, whilst I like the concept of the hotel doing your shopping (know this is standard for a Residence Inn) without any proper cooking area you are very limited in what you can do, unless you like microwave or cold meals. It didn't seem to have the features of a serviced apartment (though was priced similarily), but without many of the features that make a hotel beneficial. I could have missed out on much that was offered as there was no welcome leaflet or booklet in the room (so nothing documenting hours of breakfast, services offered etc). I was also a little surprised that the sofa was too small to sleep on, so you couldn't have a friend stay over.

Will I be back: Maybe, but its more likely I'll stay in my full service hotels and I'm not cancelling those reservations yet. I think I've just got too used to the features of those hotels and the 5 (rather than 10) points per dollar spent will make a big difference to my points balance. There are some nice offers on at the moment though - a 5 nights for the price of 4 plus a 1000 bonus Marriott points if you're looking to stay.

Any other questions let me know. If you'd like photos then my tripadvisor review has a few of my room (when it posts);
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...ml#UR120716509

Last edited by littlevoices; Nov 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Bose microwave???

I want one
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
Nice review above. A couple of points based on my stay on the second night of opening:

1. I can see why someone who doesn't know Edinburgh might describe it as in a new development (called the Quartermile) as slightly out of town and as it is indeed 10-15 minutes walk from the Royal Mile and slightly more to the New Town. However, this is definitely not true in a US sense as it is actually an infill site in a very built up bit of the city, with a number of cafes, restaurants etc nearby. Indeed, the location can be very good for some purposes. It is not only right by the University but also handy for the National Museum of Scotland, the Festival Theatre, and several cinemas. The location also makes it pretty safe as there are plenty of students around.
2. By US standards some facilities are definitely lacking but by UK standards I thought it was pretty impressive and would definitely go back.
3. As it is in a new mini-development it is not on GPS yet and so is a bit hard to find. If taking a taxi and they haven't heard of the hotel or Quartermile tell them to go to George Square and ask someone - if they don't know the hotel ask them for a Sainsbury Metro late opening store which is just around the corner from it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:28 am

This is a great Residence Inn. Staff are outstanding and very helpful.

Rooms are a nice size and equipped with Bosch appliances but, as noted above, only a microwave oven. Showers are large. Heating can be a bit of a challenge as you need to use trial and error on the radiators. Only downside in the was that the mattress was not comfortable.

The breakfast area downstairs is crowded during peak time and the selection is not as extensive as in the US but they have the basics. A big surprise for a RI old-timer is that they have served Otis Spukmeyer cookies in the evening.

The location is actually well under 1/2 mile to the Royal Mile and within feet of a large park. This was a weekend stay so no sure how bothersome the construction might be during the workday. Passed Edinburgh Marriott on the way in from the airport. It is well out of town so certainly glad for electing to stay at the RI.

Overall, will definitely return there if need to be in central Edinburgh again.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:24 pm
inY

This just changed to Category 5.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by inY
This just changed to Category 5.
I was under the impression that category adjustments were done annually but not ad-hoc. Apparently, I am wrong.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Staying here as I write this at Ł95/night. Nice enough, but stiflingly hot on the top 3 or 4 floors (of a 7 story hotel) and no way to open the windows more than an inch or so. Clearly the hotel's fault too, as it's pretty cold outside. Feels a little cheap and tinny, but it's OK. Breakfast is nice...

UPDATE: The longer I stay here the more I like it. I moved to a lower floor, so it's much cooler and more pleasant, and since this hotel is about a block off the main drag, there's no significant traffic or pedestrian noise. For being in the center of a major tourist district, it's surprisingly quiet.

Personally, I think the breakfast is great; at least as good as b'fasts I've had at comparably priced hotels in the UK. At about $160US/night, it's pretty cheap for downtown eBurgh, and about the going rate for comparable RIs in the States. The Royal Mile is a trivial 10 minute walk away, 15 minutes to the castle. Lots of restaurants, places to take tours, pubs within 10 minute walk and - important to me, if not everyone :-) - there's a place to dance salsa every night of the week in this town, and all within walking distance.

The only downside is that there seems to be nothing but Americans here. No local color, that's for sure!

Highly recommended hotel.....

Last edited by kcblakely; Jul 9, 2012 at 2:33 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My adult children stayed here a few weeks ago, and while they liked the hotel, they thought the breakfast was the least impressive of the five hotels they stayed at during their two week trip through the UK.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:14 am

I have just wrapped up a three-night stay at the Residence Inn Edinburgh. While I am disappointed that this has transitioned from a category 4 to category 5 property, I actually think it's still a great deal as a 5 (although no more MegaBonus certificates).

For starters, having read many reviews, I e-mailed the GM in advance to request a lower floor to combat the heat complaints. Amazing, he e-mailed back in minutes (on a Sunday) and openly acknowledged that the complaints were fair that he would do his best to accommodate our request (low floor – which he did). For better or worse, the weather was absurdly cool for July (low 50s) so it was never an issue. That said, we were upgraded to a 1BR which was an idyllic "home base" for our long weekend.

The room itself was – as others have reported – exceptionally modern. Hardwood floors, Bosch kitchen appliances, two flatscreen televisions and excellent shower water pressure pretty much fulfills every reasonable checklist. The hotel staff was excellent and it felt much more like a small, private apart-hotel than a Marriott property (not a complaint at all). I will agree that the breakfast area was very busy during what felt like just about the whole breakfast window but no big deal.

The location in Edinburgh was perfect. It was ten minutes walk to the Royal Mile and Grassmarket, three minute stumble to the nearest pubs, one minute to Starbucks and Sainsbury's. Clearly the Quartermile area is continuing to be developed but for now, it's a pleasant little urban oasis.

This is a great property in a great location in a great city. I'd return without thinking twice.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, AA ,FB, Marriott, Enterprise,Amex
For any of you who have stayed at this property, is it possible to have three people stay in 1 room?
Im unclear from their website, what type of room it is. I guess I wonder if they can bring in a cot or the sofa turns into a bed.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.