Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
StR

Fantastic stay. Upgraded to Caroline Astor suite as Gold. Overly attentive staff (to the point of being intrusive). Absolutely massive property as far as Doha is concerned with large pool area (empty for the duration of my stay) & nice beach with watersports rentals. Wouldn't hesitate to return.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:55 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Any recent experiences at the Ritz? Hesitating between StR and Ritz for an upcoming 3-night stay.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by escape4
Any recent experiences at the Ritz? Hesitating between StR and Ritz for an upcoming 3-night stay.
I've stayed at the StR a couple of times. My guess is that they're probably somewhat comparable unless beach/ocean matters. In that case, it's StR over Ritz without question. The Ritz is not exactly on the ocean. The hotel's website describes a beach on a private island. I found the rules, however, to be offensive. From the RC Doha website:
BEACH PASS OFFER
Bring a friend to the beach for free. For the month of October for every full priced adult beach pass purchased a second guest will be free.

Terms & Conditions
  • Sunday to Thursday only (no weekends or public holidays)
  • Beach only access
  • Offer valid same day of purchase, guests must arrive together and announce offer at time of payment
  • Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer
  • Subject to availability
So as a hotel guest you can't bring friends to join you at the beach without paying? Huh? Also, if we assume that the island is the tear-drop shaped one just below to the hotel in this picture, it doesn't look particularly attractive, at least to me. And if that's not the RC beach, presumably one has to drive (or be driven) to the hotel's beach? That's not for me.

Compare to the StR, where the beach is where you expect it to be, adjacent to the pool:

See? Ocean/beach is right beyond the pool, where it should be. And the pool area is lovely. The pool is huge, there are some large metal sculptures around the grounds, and there are some beautiful shaded lounges/cabanas, or whatever you call them. I could only find one picture, taken from my room:

This pic does not accurately convey the size of the pool, -- it's huge!

Anyway, just my 2¢.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I've stayed at the StR a couple of times. My guess is that they're probably somewhat comparable unless beach/ocean matters. In that case, it's StR over Ritz without question. The Ritz is not exactly on the ocean.
Thanks for the feedback! Indeed the beach/pool seem far better at St.Regis.

One other difference is that the Ritz has a Club Lounge which is one of the reasons I am tempted to book a Club room there.

I am also wondering about the state of the rooms and how they compare. There does not seem to be a lot of FTers who have been to Ritz recently.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
So I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.
-Sharq Village & Spa
-St.Regis
-Sheraton.
-Ritz Carlton
Any recent reviews of these hotels?
In particular at the St. Regis, Ritz, and Sharq, would be The benefits if any would I receive as a platinum premier elite member?
In the Sharq thread, @AbuCordoba recommends against Sharq.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...er-thread.html

So I think Ritz and St.Regis might be the best two choices, perhaps W is a decent alternative as well. @khabah posted a fairly good review in the W thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-thread-4.html

For my dates, StR, Ritz, and W have essentially the same rate, Ritz a bit higher if I want to pay for Club, so I am hesitating between the three with price not being much of a consideration.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
In the past month and a half, I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis, Sheraton, W and Westin for stays averaging four nights; I've also been to the St. Regis for brunch iN November. My comments of the Marriott Marquis from the end of October above still stand, while here is some trimmed feedback on the other three properties:

St. Regis:
  • Didn't stay, but went for brunch on Friday. Spectacular affair - book in advance! - with a spread so big you're given a map. Spread out on the lobby-level terrace between the main and Gordon Ramsay restaurants, as well as the outdoor terrace.
  • Everything from Indian options to sushi, fresh pasta, seafood, Asian options, salads and desserts is available. Two different pricing packages for those who wish and don't want to partake in alcohol.
  • If you select the booze package, you get access to bottomless sparkling wine, and endless access to several small bars dotted about the place specializing in different cocktails. Think espresso martinis, gin and sangria stations.
  • Overall: not a stay, but the hotel is lovely with great grounds, good service and the brunch is worth the time even if you're not staying here, so recommended.

Sheraton Grand:
  • A true landmark with a great location and extensive grounds.
  • Plat upgrades hit-and-miss: had three stays and two of them were to junior suites while one was to a club room.
  • Benefits for Plats are breakfast OR points.
  • Food here is a standout; breakfast in the restaurant is extensive and worth the sacrifice of points, while the Club Lounge is one of the best with everything from sushi and canapés to hot food and salads during the evening hours.
  • Service, unfortunately, is absolutely infuriating. Staff are well-intentioned but generally incompetent, preferring to offer up bogus excuses than anything tangible. [i.e. saying no suites were available when the website clearly shows otherwise, being denied MAGC despite putting the card on your door, being told that e-mailed folios need management approval and review before being sent out, etc.]
  • Overall: great property but I'd only recommend it if you're patient enough to deal with the staff.

W:
  • Still Doha's hotspot nearly ten years down the line.
  • Hotel is super-happening and see-and-be-seen, but staff are ultra-professional and run a tight ship. Public spaces have been renovated.
  • Upgrades are generous for Plats - had everything from a Cool Corner to W Suite.
  • Benefits, historically, were points + breakfast, but my last two stays never had benefits mentioned and as soon as I'd walk into the restaurant for breakfast, I'd be offered the full spread, sign a bill and never be charged. Hmm...
  • Food at the hotel is excellent and Plats get access to the WIP Lounge, which is for all intents and purposes a club lounge by any other name. Happy hour is stingy from 6-7 PM, but food is out from 5-7.
  • Pool is a weak point - small and frequently in the shade. Outdoor space nonexistent and the pool deck is often closed off in the evenings for private events at the poolside club/bar.
  • Overall: this hotel is a class-act, so it is definitely recommended.

Westin:
  • Was a huge fan and frequent guest here - liked the grounds, pools and large rooms.
  • Rooms are spacious and airy with high ceilings and open bathrooms. Upgrades for Plats are generous - I've had everything from the Junior Studio to the Family Suite.
  • Plat benefits now are breakfast OR points - historically they were both but alas, Marriott.
  • Service dived at this hotel causing me to move to other options but on my last stay a week ago, many familiar faces remembered me and were very friendly and professional.
  • Overall: recommended.
I'm back at the Westin tomorrow and the Sheraton Grand in January. Will report back.

khabah
3rdworldresident and escape4 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by khabah
In the past month and a half, I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis, Sheraton, W and Westin for stays averaging four nights; I've also been to the St. Regis for brunch iN November. My comments of the Marriott Marquis from the end of October above still stand, while here is some trimmed feedback on the other three properties:

St. Regis:
  • Didn't stay, but went for brunch on Friday. Spectacular affair - book in advance! - with a spread so big you're given a map. Spread out on the lobby-level terrace between the main and Gordon Ramsay restaurants, as well as the outdoor terrace.
  • Everything from Indian options to sushi, fresh pasta, seafood, Asian options, salads and desserts is available. Two different pricing packages for those who wish and don't want to partake in alcohol.
  • If you select the booze package, you get access to bottomless sparkling wine, and endless access to several small bars dotted about the place specializing in different cocktails. Think espresso martinis, gin and sangria stations.
  • Overall: not a stay, but the hotel is lovely with great grounds, good service and the brunch is worth the time even if you're not staying here, so recommended.

Sheraton Grand:
  • A true landmark with a great location and extensive grounds.
  • Plat upgrades hit-and-miss: had three stays and two of them were to junior suites while one was to a club room.
  • Benefits for Plats are breakfast OR points.
  • Food here is a standout; breakfast in the restaurant is extensive and worth the sacrifice of points, while the Club Lounge is one of the best with everything from sushi and canapés to hot food and salads during the evening hours.
  • Service, unfortunately, is absolutely infuriating. Staff are well-intentioned but generally incompetent, preferring to offer up bogus excuses than anything tangible. [i.e. saying no suites were available when the website clearly shows otherwise, being denied MAGC despite putting the card on your door, being told that e-mailed folios need management approval and review before being sent out, etc.]
  • Overall: great property but I'd only recommend it if you're patient enough to deal with the staff.

W:
  • Still Doha's hotspot nearly ten years down the line.
  • Hotel is super-happening and see-and-be-seen, but staff are ultra-professional and run a tight ship. Public spaces have been renovated.
  • Upgrades are generous for Plats - had everything from a Cool Corner to W Suite.
  • Benefits, historically, were points + breakfast, but my last two stays never had benefits mentioned and as soon as I'd walk into the restaurant for breakfast, I'd be offered the full spread, sign a bill and never be charged. Hmm...
  • Food at the hotel is excellent and Plats get access to the WIP Lounge, which is for all intents and purposes a club lounge by any other name. Happy hour is stingy from 6-7 PM, but food is out from 5-7.
  • Pool is a weak point - small and frequently in the shade. Outdoor space nonexistent and the pool deck is often closed off in the evenings for private events at the poolside club/bar.
  • Overall: this hotel is a class-act, so it is definitely recommended.

Westin:
  • Was a huge fan and frequent guest here - liked the grounds, pools and large rooms.
  • Rooms are spacious and airy with high ceilings and open bathrooms. Upgrades for Plats are generous - I've had everything from the Junior Studio to the Family Suite.
  • Plat benefits now are breakfast OR points - historically they were both but alas, Marriott.
  • Service dived at this hotel causing me to move to other options but on my last stay a week ago, many familiar faces remembered me and were very friendly and professional.
  • Overall: recommended.
I'm back at the Westin tomorrow and the Sheraton Grand in January. Will report back.

khabah
thanks for the reviews - we ended up deciding on the St. Regis. I will post a review after our stay next June.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: Some
Shangri-La has now become a JW Marriott, just to add to Marriott’s domination of the Doha hotel market!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium/Amex Platinum/Hilton Gold/United Silver/AA Gold
Best Marriott Property in Doha

Looking to book a night in September in Doha. Currently looking at the W Doha, St. Regis Doha, or the Ritz-Carlton Doha. Any insight on the best Marriott property in Doha? Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
You won’t be disappointed by the W
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Is it just one night? and will you be solo or with family or a couple? does it matter to be near the airport?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium/Amex Platinum/Hilton Gold/United Silver/AA Gold
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Is it just one night? and will you be solo or with family or a couple? does it matter to be near the airport?
Traveling with my wife and we are only staying one night. Doesn’t necessarily need to be close to the airport as we have a full day layover.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Will be visiting Doha for a sporting event being held at the national stadium end of September. Currently have the Ritz and Souq Waqif booked. Can anyone tell me which would be the best option of the two
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Will be visiting Doha for a sporting event being held at the national stadium end of September. Currently have the Ritz and Souq Waqif booked. Can anyone tell me which would be the best option of the two
Do you mean Sharq Village?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Do you mean Sharq Village?
I'm not sure if the property has another name, but confirmation states, Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.