Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by darumi
Thank you everyone, highly appreciated!
If you arent locked in to Doha (and arent already quite familiar) go to Oman instead. The Marriott brand Muscat hotels are worlds better than Doha and the same goes for the beaches and everything else in Oman

If Doha is a must then go with the StR the pool area at both RC are pretty poor. Might be worth checking out the Luxury Collection property that opened in Doha if you are only wanting to stay at Marriott properties it is quite new but I am not familiar with it.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
The Muscat properties are nicer but more expensive than the Doha ones! Sharq is quite unique in its style, but STR Doha is one of my favorites in the world mainly because of the staff which are excellent and really go above and beyond. STR Doha also has some excellent F+B options as well.

One which you may not consider is the Sheraton which I think is excellent option and has the best club lounge on offer in Doha.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
If you arent locked in to Doha (and arent already quite familiar) go to Oman instead. The Marriott brand Muscat hotels are worlds better than Doha and the same goes for the beaches and everything else in Oman

If Doha is a must then go with the StR the pool area at both RC are pretty poor. Might be worth checking out the Luxury Collection property that opened in Doha if you are only wanting to stay at Marriott properties it is quite new but I am not familiar with it.
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
The Muscat properties are nicer but more expensive than the Doha ones! Sharq is quite unique in its style, but STR Doha is one of my favorites in the world mainly because of the staff which are excellent and really go above and beyond. STR Doha also has some excellent F+B options as well.

One which you may not consider is the Sheraton which I think is excellent option and has the best club lounge on offer in Doha.
Word of advice in light of the new restrictions around COVID-19: Muscat's airport closed at noon today Muscat time to all traffic - international and domestic - except flights between Muscat and the Omani exclave on the Musandam peninsula. The beaches here are indeed glorious, but they're also closed to the public and the police have been diligent about shooing people off of them, even driving up and down the beaches in their 4x4s if necessary.

It's best if everybody just hunkers down for the next few weeks - travel is either a massive inconvenience or impossibility at this point, and people should just keep to themselves and not move about until this craziness abates.

khabah
AbuCordoba and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by khabah
Word of advice in light of the new restrictions around COVID-19: Muscat's airport closed at noon today Muscat time to all traffic - international and domestic - except flights between Muscat and the Omani exclave on the Musandam peninsula. The beaches here are indeed glorious, but they're also closed to the public and the police have been diligent about shooing people off of them, even driving up and down the beaches in their 4x4s if necessary.

It's best if everybody just hunkers down for the next few weeks - travel is either a massive inconvenience or impossibility at this point, and people should just keep to themselves and not move about until this craziness abates.

khabah
Yes, I just assumed the OP was talking about plans for the future when it is safe and appropriate to travel and enjoy.
AbuCordoba likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
same as St Regis is not even available right now!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Yes, I just assumed the OP was talking about plans for the future when it is safe and appropriate to travel and enjoy.
+1. I am of the same impression.
That said, if OP can post approximate date of travel, that would help bring out more appropriate suggestions.

I'd go with St.R as well.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AAexec Paltinum , Hilton Lifetime diamond, Marriot Titanium
which hotel in doha

My family and I are planning a trip to Doha in December 2020. We are flying on points from los angeles to doha then the maldives. Then we are stopping over for 6 nights on the way back home. To start I wanted to see which would be the best hotel to stay in with a 8 year old and a 6 year old, and i am a platinum member, maybe titanium, by that time. We are staying at the Waldorph Astoria Maldives for 9 nights, so we will have plenty of pool and beach time there. I was looking at the hilton Doha, but it doesnt look like a great option. I was thinking about the St regis doha, which has a beach and pool and from i have read a great breakfeast. But then from reading the forums, I am seeing a lot of good reviews for the sheraton and it has a lounge which the kids would enjoy. Would they be allowed in the lounge during happy hour? Also how do you compare the Sheraton with the JW? I dont see much info on the JW Doha.

As a side note, if we are flying on aa miles on qatar, are we able to get cheaper hotel rooms from the programs that are out there?

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Hi laguy35, sorry to ruin your already confirmed itinerary but as you've booked on miles it's easier to change and I would highly recommend doing so based on the following points:

Stay in Doha:
  • 6 nights is way too much for a city that doesn't offer more than 2 days worth of activities at most. I wouldn't even recommend 6 nights in Dubai let alone a place like Doha!
  • I'd recommend maybe even doing a side trip from Doha to either Beirut or Muscat to split the trip in two. Not sure how many award miles that will require but giving the distance the flights are short and I assume not too costly
  • Given you'll be coming from a stay in the Maldives, I'm sure you wouldn't want to just sit around and maybe even up for some adventurous sightseeing or city trips which the above point will definitely provide
Hotels in Doha
  • Once again, based on the above, I would recommend not staying more than 2 nights in Doha and I would recommend the Westin
  • The Westin also has villas etc. and is really great for families, I had booked the most basic room and was upgraded to a 2 bedroom executive suite so chances of an upgrade are high especially if you are platinum or above (I was platinum) finally, it is also reasonably priced
  • the St. Regis, Ritz Carlton are close together but far from the main city and airport. I have stayed at the Ritz, Marriott Marquis and the W and would rather pick the Westin over them mostly based on comfort, location and amenities for families
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
6 days in Doha sounds terrible. I was bored in a day. Unless you have a specific agenda in Doha you might want to reconsider.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Agree with others. Six days is far too much, especially coming from the Maldives it will seem like a major downer. I would shorten it to two, and invest four days somewhere else. The St Regis is quite nice, I enjoyed my last two night stay there.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I agree with all the other posters, noting that if you're in Doha on a Friday it's even more dull.... I think that a cheap economy flight to Oman would be a good way to spend the time without changing your core flights (presuming no COVID disruptions of course)
Qatar is going to be a little depressing as:
1. Beaches aren't anything like the Maldives
2. Alcohol restrictions
3. Local attractions will fill 1 or 2 days, at most, presuming you're ok with museums, souks and visiting small fishing villages
4. If at a hotel and enjoying the beach/pool, you may as well do it elsewhere, but will be much more pricey

However, if you wanted to drive around the sand dunes every day that could work....
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I agree with all the other posters, noting that if you're in Doha on a Friday it's even more dull.... I think that a cheap economy flight to Oman would be a good way to spend the time without changing your core flights (presuming no COVID disruptions of course)
This. Oman is wonderful with some of the nicest people on Earth. A few days in Muscat and Salalah, if you can swing it, will be a lot more fun than Doha. Another option is Jordan.

Agree with other posters. Doha is a arrive in the morning and leave the next day sort of place.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:00 am

As someone who lives in West Bay, I’d recommend either the Sheraton or Marriott Marquis as my favorites. The Marquis has always been my go to given the upgrades, view, lounge, pool and connecting to the shopping mall.

but as others have stated, wow, 6 days?!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:22 am

Why are you staying 6 nights in doha?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oman is a great idea. Stay at the Chedi Muscat. A lovely hotel.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.