Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
My all time favorite

I have stayed there twice in the last year using points and I LOVE it. The only hotel I've ever stayed at other than BKK Marriott where the person at the desk who checks you in walks you to your room and explains about the resort and your room features. This is an indication of the level of service you will receive. Both times I stayed on points and got an upgrade to a sala terrace room - same room both times #138 - great room. My advice is rent a car when you arrive and drive to the hotel, its easy to find. Rent the car for half your stay and see the island. If you like having the car, extend it, if you don't care about it, turn it in. For activities, spend a day going to Phi Phi Islands and maybe go see "James Bond Island" - I keep a postcard of it in my office as a reminder. Also, Phuket Fantasea is well worth the money but I advise skipping the meal option. I stay 150 nights a year at Marriotts and this is by far my favorite (I'm writing this from my upgraded suite at the Camelback Inn) Go, have fun and don't be timid. AND last but not least, enjoy the Thai people - the are THE NICEST in the world.

Last edited by dloren1; Aug 3, 2004 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:50 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Is there an ocean view from #138? Any other advice about specific rooms/areas to ask for or avoid?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Room 138 is on the ground floor - and is about 200 yards away from the ocean, although it would point directly toward it. I would consider it a garden view, but I don't know how the hotel classifies it. There are a line of palm trees between the resort an the ocean, this is done partally to protect migrating turtles, which are a protected species on this beach. No rooms offer "only" a ocean view, with the possible exception of the royal suite. The highest hotel rooms are the 3rd floor and the timeshares have 4 floors. The palm trees are higher than the 4th floor roofs.

You can see "some" of the ocean from some of the rooms, but it's not a great view of the ocean. All the rooms are the same, but there are a few 1 bedroom suits. They have never upgraded me to a suite, but I don't care, the rooms are great anyway. Currently I'm staying in a 2 bedroom Villa, which sleeps 6-7 people (one king, one single, one pull-out queen sofa, one pull-out single sofa). Cots/rollaways available upon request. Most bedding is very hard. Air conditioning works exceptionally well, you can freeze yourself out of your room if you want to. In the villa, there is a kitchen, but no oven. There is a small convection/microwave oven (900W, small capacity), but no real oven. There is a four burner electric stove. The middle unit on the timeshare has a larger balcony than the two end units. Our unit is exceptionally quiet, but then again we have no one on top of us.

Hope this helps.

Billy
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:00 am

Does anyone know the cost of an airport transfer between airport & hotel. Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:32 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Airport Transport JW HKT

Originally Posted by Miles8
Does anyone know the cost of an airport transfer between airport & hotel. Thanks.
If you book a taxi in the arrival hall of the airport (taxi service), it's around 450 or 500 Baht, if I remember correctly. You can ask the driver for the telephone number and arrange the way back for departure as well, he will pick you up at the hotel then. Hotel limousine charges distinctly more, not sure, at least 800 Bt. or 1000Bt.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:50 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I had 5 people and lots of luggage (2+weeks) so we pre arranged a hotel van for $30 (1218.69 Bhat). They were waiting on us at arrival. Cabs/taxis would probably fit only 3 comfortably. The hotel also has cars that can pick you up as well, likely less than the $30, but more than a taxi.

Billy
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:50 am

I just stayed there last week on a award stay for three nights, taxi from airport to JW is negotiable, my wife and I paid 150 baht, a little less than three dollars to get to the hotel. The JW is isolated and the hotel controls the taxi rates back to the airport. JW does not let independent cabs pick up guests and you must pay a set fee of 500 baht to go from hotel to airport, a very expensive ride! especially when you consider the JW is very close to the airport.

I decided to use points for a stay at this hotel based on some of the rave reviews I read, but I must admit to being deeply disappointed by my stay. Maybe I was spoiled by how inexpensive Thailand is and the JW provided instant sticker shock. The hotel restaurants are very expensive, breakfast with the 17% service charge added is about 13 dollars a person and dinner averaged about 27 dollars per person without drinks, not bad for Europe or the US but this hotel is in THAILAND. There is a grass shack next to the resort called Lindas Place, or something like that, but it was much too rustic for us. We never saw anyone eating there and that is not a good sign. No other restaurants are within walking distance.

Last week the hotel was very crowded, and if you arrived at the pool after 9 AM all the chairs have been reserved for the day so there was no place to sit and relax. My wife and I on vacation are not early risers, we tried to get pool chairs on at least five occasions but were never able to secure the coveted prize. There are no chairs on the beach and we were actually told we could not bring hotel towels to the beach. Beach is very small and hotel must not have control of the beach because many message ladies have set up shop along the perimeter.

With no place to sit and relax we tried to take the hotel shuttle into town but discovered it was booked solid for two days. The hotel did offer to secure a cab to Phukett town for about 16 dollars. In addition to not being able to go anywhere or sit anywhere when I checked out I was assessed a ten dollar per night resort fee. I informed the agent I was using points for the stay and was told the ten dollar per night charge was customary for Reward stays at this hotel.

I also stayed at the Hilton Phukett Resort in Karon Beach for three nights with a Hilton award, my wife and I loved that property and if we had choice would choose it every time over Marriott.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:28 am

Location: MSP - UA 1k, NW Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cygone

Last week the hotel was very crowded, and if you arrived at the pool after 9 AM all the chairs have been reserved for the day so there was no place to sit and relax. My wife and I on vacation are not early risers, we tried to get pool chairs on at least five occasions but were never able to secure the coveted prize. There are no chairs on the beach and we were actually told we could not bring hotel towels to the beach.

I also stayed at the Hilton Phukett Resort in Karon Beach for three nights with a Hilton award, my wife and I loved that property and if we had choice would choose it every time over Marriott.
Thanks for the feedback - I'll be in Phuket in January and one of my biggest peeves is beach resorts that can't seem to put out enough beach chairs.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: HYATT DIAMOND, STARWOOD PLAT, UA 1K,AA PLAT [2.5MILLION], LH SENATOR, AMEX BLACK
Promo Codes for JW Marriott Phuket?

Anyone have luck getting a lower price at the JW in Phuket
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:11 pm

Lower price than what???? And, for what dates????
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
Lower price than what???? And, for what dates????
I am finding $220. That still seems alot. What about Priceline? Or any 2 night for 1 coupons or promos?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:56 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
1. See http://www.phuket.com/marriott/rates.htm for other rates and packages available.

2. If you have a Citibank Gold/Platinum card (not a co-branded card), you can use the Citibank World Privileges 40% off rack rates at the JW Marriott Phuket. You need to call +66 7633 8000 to book this rate
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:20 pm

Thanks. This is so helpful. Is there a code for the Citibank special?
I had also heard that maybe Pricelie is good.

Originally Posted by Savage25
1. See http://www.phuket.com/marriott/rates.htm for other rates and packages available.

2. If you have a Citibank Gold/Platinum card (not a co-branded card), you can use the Citibank World Privileges 40% off rack rates at the JW Marriott Phuket. You need to call +66 7633 8000 to book this rate
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:01 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
Is there a code for the Citibank special?
Not that I know. You have to call the number above and let them know that you are holding a Citibank Gold/Plat card (and I assume, paying with it).

At other Marriotts, I've seen them use the code "CWP", so that might work.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
priceline info

Originally Posted by thaitraveller
Thanks. This is so helpful. Is there a code for the Citibank special?
I had also heard that maybe Pricelie is good.
See the bidding for travel website for priceline reports:

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

hersh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.