Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:01 am

I am still debating between the JW Phuket and the Sheraton Laguna?

Also debating, if I stay at the JW, would I be making a mistake with the Garden room.

Planning 6 nights in February.

Any other recent experience / thoughts?

Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbust:
I am still debating between the JW Phuket and the Sheraton Laguna?

Also debating, if I stay at the JW, would I be making a mistake with the Garden room.

Planning 6 nights in February.

Any other recent experience / thoughts?

</font>
Regarding the Garden room, you wouldn't be making a mistake. In my view, with the JW Phuket, there is no bad rooms. Honestly, it's true. It's like some of those stadiums now where they say "there isn't a bad seat in the house". It's basically like that, I wandered the grounds quite a bit, and I honestly didn't find anywhere where a room could be bad, or even just "so-so". All rooms are either somewhere between "good" and "incredible".

As for comparing the two resorts, I can only compare based on location. One is closer to town (like near it), the other (the JW) isn't. It depends on what you want. Read the various sections of this thread to see what we've said about distances. Unfortunatly, I can't comment about the Sheraton as I haven't stayed there.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them, and I'll try to answer them.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mymiles2go:
It's like some of those stadiums now where they say "there isn't a bad seat in the house". It's basically like that.</font>
Agree that most rooms at JW are very good,
however as stated above:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
The South Wing rooms beginning w/ 151, 251, 351 through the 164, 264, 364 are rooms to stay away from for two reasons. One, they are the rooms that overlook the back of the seafood restaurant and Two, there is an extremely loud mechanical noise (engine I think) that was on every time we passed this area as it was on the way to the spa. While I was told it was temporary, it seemed pretty permanent to me. </font>
------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:44 am
R&R

I spent a week there at Holiday time for the soft opening a couple of years ago. Watched all the planting beging finished. And now watching similiar palms, etc growing up around my home. Same goes for the Bangkok Marriott. I have been watching their gardens grow, since the property became a Marriott in the middle 90's.

If you need more to do, there is a natural HOTTTTT springs just North of the Hotel over the bridge. There is a small village near there. Only a few miles or a few minutes ride. A taxi driver should know how to get there.

THe water is very hot and not for prolonged soaking, but a couple of 8-10 minute dips can be very helpful for relaxation and cleansing the arteries. If I recall it was 108 degrees F. The upper limit is 105 degrees for longer soaks. There is a changing room, but no lockers. So wear your shorts and swim suit. Only a few locals there. Refreshments,beer and food available from local vendors.

The snorkle boat trip is a very long bumpy ride in a fast boat. Hard on the low back bounching on the hard seat. If I were to do it again, I would opt for the shorter (closer) trip for sight seeing to the islands.

Old Nov 21, 2003, 6:05 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
We just returned from a stay at the J.W. Marriot Phuket. We got two days on Priceline for a $67.00 bid. The hotel is so good that we went to the internet shop down the highway toward the airport and bid $75 for 2 additional nights to insure getting them and succeeded. Normal rate for the same room is $200.00.

During two weeks in Thailand, this was the best hotel we visited. Our Bangkok stay was at the Marriot Resort (Priceline-$40.night) 4 nights-excellent, Royal Princess Chiang Mai 2 nights(upgraded as Dusit Gold) for less than $75., Hua Hin Hilton. 2 nights, $89, negotiated over the phone and the Novatel Lotus in BKK for our final night at $45 (Priceline), acutally cheaper if one books on their website.

MrsOpus and I were extremely impressed with the facility and staff. It is a pleasure to stay there. We did eat Italian, in fact 4 nights worth at Cucina. Excellent food and excellent presentation by an incredible staff. They even attempted to teach me Thai.

We would return in a heartbeat. What we really like is that it is away from the nonsense of Patong, Karon and Kata. We appreciate the quiet and the broad expanse of beach. Cold towels periodically at the pool as well as ice water refilled almost automatically. The staff is one of the best trained that we have encountered in Southeast Asia.

The hotel feels Thai with a well-managed flair. Our room (203) was spacious, clean and well-appointed. The conceirge service was excellent, he is the one who recommended the internet cafe down the highway because of the high cost of internet access at the hotel.

We had a car so the expense and inconvenience of transportation was not an issue. Phuket is a pain to drive on especially, Patong and Phuket Town.

If one desires a pampered stay without pretension this is the place to stay. If one desires a pretentious athmosphere and lots of night life, this probably is not the place to stay.

I will say that the cost of food, based on Thai prices-not European or U.S. prices is outrageous. The Deli is a good alternative to the extensive breakfast buffet. Drinks are also quite high by Thai standards. Coffee and tea in the Deli runs 100 baht. Tea and instant coffee is available for free in the room. There are few alternatives to eating at the hotel. It really is a pain to drive or taxi into Patong, Karon or Kata.

We will return.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:16 pm

How do you book on Priceline? Is the JW the only hotel in Phuket?

I need 2 rooms, Feb 20 for 6 nights.

What is the best way of doing it?
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:20 pm

OPUSHOMES: How was the Royal Princess Chiang Mai? I am spending 2 nights in CM and right now I am booked at the Regent / Four Seasons. I was also looking at the Royal Princess and the Westin. Please let me know your detailed thoughts. Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
airbust, if you need 2 rooms, you may want to consider renting one of the 2 BR villas on the adjacent Marriott Beach Club. In addition to the 2 very large bedrooms, you get a living room, a full kitchen and the flexibility to do some things in your own place. Also can save a lot on breakfasts, drinkgs etc. You have access to ALL the facilities of the Marriott.
The resort had a shuttle that will take you to and from Patong at NO charge a few times a day. When we went to Patong, we will take the shuttle, spend the day in Patong and come back in the evening.
Others have given an excellent description of the place already, so I won't repeat.
If you need any more details that I may be able to provide on the 2 BR, send me an email. Good Luck. Mukesh
Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:11 pm
R&R

The 2 bedroom Vacation Village timeshare unites are like nicely well furnished apartments. Even have a washer and dryer. Very inviting and comfortable.
Same great views and amenities as the hotel portion!

Old Nov 22, 2003, 4:23 pm

How does it compare to the JW hotel? Is it as nice?
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Got two weeks sight-unseen at the Beach Club (based on what has been said here about it....no I'm not serious), and we will be spending our first vacation there this Christmas and are really looking forward to it. Should be great fun.

For those asking about the Sheraton Laguna, we stayed in the Dusit two years ago. The "Laguna" hotels (Sheraton, Beach Club, Allamanda, Banyan Treen and Dusit) are all located around a lagoon. There is either shuttle bus (or boat!) transport between the hotels and you can eat in one of the other hotels and sign it to your room. This was pretty neat as it really meant that we didn't get tired of eating in a small number of restaurants. We ate in the Sheraton twice and it was ok, but didn't really have as much charm as the Dusit. But, charm is not everything and I can't comment on the quality of the rooms or services.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:24 am
R&R

The timeshares are part of the JW hotel. The units are at the ends of the hotel wings. So there is little difference other then the 2 bedroom units feel more like an apartment and home.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:39 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
"How do you book on Priceline? Is the JW the only hotel in Phuket?"

Biddingfortravel.com has indicators on how to do it. But for the record, bid Thalang 5*, J.W. Marriot Resort seems to be the only 5* in the area. As stated above, $67 and $75 got the Resort last week.

Re: Royal Princess-Chiang Mai. The Royal Princess is not the Regent. It has one thing going for it, it is in the midst of the night market. As a Dusit Gold we got upgraded from a standard to a Landmark room. Room was OK, this is not a "luxe" hotel. It is somewhat worn, but it has decent beds, is clean, has free parking, for Dusit Gold-free airport pickup and dropoff, is in the midst of shopping, has (for those who care), a Starbucks and the world's most overpriced Haggen Daaz next door. The staff are, as in most of Thailand, friendly and helpful. The breakfast selection is good, the Cafe off the Lobby is also good for those who are like us too lazy to go out. Royal Princess is the 4 Points version of Dusit. Do not have high expectations. They do not compare to the J.W. Marriot properties.

The Sheraton (formerly Westin) is, to my taste, inconveniently located in an out of the way location across the river. We drove by, but did not stop to look at the property. It looks like the photos on the website.

If memory serves correctly, the Regent is also inconvenient to the old city and night market. I believe it is out on the Ring Road which can be highly congested. That said, do not expect traffic to be like Bangkok or Phuket. Chiang Mai's transportation system is pretty sorry. The first time I was there, I stayed at the Novotel-not recommended! and use Songtaos (pickup trucks with two benches and feet to get around). We stayed at the Royal Princess because MrsOpus wanted to be near shopping and the night market. Part of the trip was intended to buy silver for her new hobby.

Just a note for those interested:

Both Budget and Avis deliver cars to Chiang Mai hotels. Budget picked up ours in the morning, loaded us and our baggage in it and drove us to departures. This is much easier than trying to find the Budget office near the airport. Avis is easier to find since it is at the airport, but the airport can be a bear to find. The first visit it took me over an hour to get out of Chiang Mai and find the road to Fang. Returning from Chiang Rai it took and equivalent hour of going round and round the city wall and moat to find the airport turnoff.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonnieB:
Hi - I'm going in 2 weeks. Actually, I'll be at the Marriott Beach Club which I think is right next door. We are staying in a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa with a full kitchen. I think it's more time share style accomodations there. If you have any feeback on that specific "side" of the property, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks for the review. I'm very excited to go.</font>

We stayed there last year, in the villas. It was great. One property, same facilities, same great staff and lovely experience. Plus we had a kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, including a fabulous master bath, balcony, 3 tvs, dvd-player, etc. When I was there, you could borrow DVDs from the health club. The property wasn't open that long when we were there.

The easiest way to contact overseas hotels is by fax. If you want to use their car for airport pickup, just send them a fax and ask them to confirm by fax. (Get a free fax number if you don't have a fax machine for incoming faxes.)

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited Nov 25, 2003).]
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:47 am

I just booked for four nights, two rooms at 80 each. This is during the high season where every room in town is sold out or at 400 dollars and up. I will be spending xmas there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.