Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:58 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
Originally Posted by 1120
Pt members get 20% off F&B along with complimentary and very tasty breakfast at Takieng.
Is this new? I never read before that Platinum members get free breakfast at Renaissance Phuket.
And Takieng is the Thai Restaurant only for dinner, it is located near to the beach on the first floor (Under the Takieng, at ground floor, there is the Sand Box Restaurant and Bar),
so I am a little bit confused?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Originally Posted by CL9
Is this new? I never read before that Platinum members get free breakfast at Renaissance Phuket.
And Takieng is the Thai Restaurant only for dinner, it is located near to the beach on the first floor (Under the Takieng, at ground floor, there is the Sand Box Restaurant and Bar),
While I hesitate to say that you’re confused, you were incorrect at least over the last week. Breakfast was free and it was at Takieng. There’s a buffet or you could order off the menu and both choices were good.

Takieng is still open for dinner.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:36 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum

While I hesitate to say that you’re confused, you were incorrect at least over the last week. Breakfast was free and it was at Takieng. There’s a buffet or you could order off the menu and both choices were good.

Takieng is still open for dinner.
Okay, I will keep in mind that they offer free breakfast for platinum members.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Hello. I am planning a group trip for a friend's birthday party in the fall. We have never been to Phuket, but looking to spend around 5 nights there. A bunch of guys in our 30s, so I am mainly looking for a resort that is near nightlife, with things to do, etc. Elite treatment isn't a big concern since I am the only elite in the group, and I think "peace and quiet/romanticism" isn't exactly what we're looking for. Looking at Google maps, it seems like none of the Phuket Marriott's are within walking distance to anything? The Ren seems popular here - I think it has a shuttle into town? Is that right? Would the Ren still be a good option for us? Thanks. With 100+ pages here, mostly focused on elite benefits or romantic escapades, it's confusing to find the best option for us.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just a completed a week at the Renaissance Phuket and, like others, I highly recommend it.

Pt members get 20% off F&B along with complimentary and very tasty breakfast at Takieng.

The place was full and we struck out on an upgrade even as Pt Premier. I did not expect anything given the time of year. They brought it up without a mention from me that we were first on the list. Regrettably, there were no cancellations.

The nice thing is that even when sold out the property is quiet and calm. It manages to be both family friendly and great for folks (like us) traveling without kids.

It’s close to HKT and far from Patong, which are both good.
I'm planning a stay at the Phuket Renaissance and am only a Marriott Gold. I'm a bit miffed that we don't seem to get free breakfast since it's kind of a loophole exclusion in the Marriott Rewards program (heck, even Waldorf Astoria's are now comping breakfast to Hilton Golds) and literally every other halfway decent hotel in Phuket seems to comp ALL their guests breakfast! If I'm reading the Ren website correctly, it seems to be US$25 person for breakfast. For Thailand, that's quite steep, even if breakfast is good.

Although we plan to have a car, we would like to eat a couple meals at the hotel if the food is noteworthy and the prices aren't ridiculous. I have seen some reference to dinner being tasty and somewhat reasonably priced at the Ren. True? We'd be looking to eat Thai food.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:34 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by CL9

I just emailed them about plat benefits told upgrade subject to availability and 20% off food and beverages which are usually overpriced and underwhelming will probably go back to the Meridien as on a fabulous beach comped evening cocktail and choice of breakfast venue. Also near restaurants and nightlife if one wants ( personally girlie bars are not my thing but good restaurants in patong
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by fdem

I just emailed them about plat benefits told upgrade subject to availability and 20% off food and beverages which are usually overpriced and underwhelming will probably go back to the Meridien as on a fabulous beach comped evening cocktail and choice of breakfast venue. Also near restaurants and nightlife if one wants ( personally girlie bars are not my thing but good restaurants in patong
We're debating between this property and Le Meridien. Is breakfast included at both? Is one location better than the other?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:34 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We're debating between this property and Le Meridien. Is breakfast included at both? Is one location better than the other?

Thanks!
breakfast is only free for plats. Beach is one of the best in Phuket and close to patong if you want nightlife massages and restaurants but has the best of both worlds as the beach is private only drawback is lots of rude Russian tour groups!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

breakfast is only free for plats. Beach is one of the best in Phuket and close to patong if you want nightlife massages and restaurants but has the best of both worlds as the beach is private only drawback is lots of rude Russian tour groups!
Having stayed at the Ren, I would note the the hotel beach is very good and the surrounding area is probably the most peaceful on the island. But it would be an awful choice for anyone seeking "nightlife" -- there isn't any. No free breakfast for Golds, but you do get 20% off food and beverage. Breakfast is expensive, but the best Marriott-family breakfast I've ever seen. Takieng was not serving breakfast, only the main restaurant. Takieng is good-but-not-amazing for dinner and, with a 20% discount, not a bad deal for Thai "fine dining." They do sometimes upgrade Golds to their private villas with plunge pools; a nice experience if you get the upgrade. Otherwise, you're probably better off staying at a non-chain (aka better value) hotel in Phuket. Also, the beach is nice for swimming, but only in the non-Monsoon season (which is ending soon).
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Having stayed at the Ren, I would note the the hotel beach is very good and the surrounding area is probably the most peaceful on the island. But it would be an awful choice for anyone seeking "nightlife" -- there isn't any. No free breakfast for Golds, but you do get 20% off food and beverage. Breakfast is expensive, but the best Marriott-family breakfast I've ever seen. Takieng was not serving breakfast, only the main restaurant. Takieng is good-but-not-amazing for dinner and, with a 20% discount, not a bad deal for Thai "fine dining." They do sometimes upgrade Golds to their private villas with plunge pools; a nice experience if you get the upgrade. Otherwise, you're probably better off staying at a non-chain (aka better value) hotel in Phuket. Also, the beach is nice for swimming, but only in the non-Monsoon season (which is ending soon).
Not recommending this over the Ren, but interestingly, the best Marriott breakfast I think I've ever seen is at the Nai Yang property. The 20% discount applied to that property as well. I probably wouldn't book there again though just because it's SO secluded. I wonder if these hotels further north in Phuket have to offer a higher level of onsite amenities due to the surroundings.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:21 pm

We're platinum so it sounds like breakfast would be covered. Do you think the Renaissance location is nicer than Khao Lak? The Similan and Surin islands look amazingly pretty so we're thinking about visiting them as well. A nice room is also important to us so we can really unwind and not feel like we need to constantly leave a less than relaxing room. We're pretty open to ideas if you think of what would be more romantic. It's a big birthday for my husband so I'm trying to make it really special. Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Totally different locations.
Ren is located north of the airport but still on the island. JW is across the bridge and another 45-60 min drive north. If you go to JWKL and have wheels try a restaurant in the small village called Jai - really good Thai food,

If this is a special occasion don't count on upgrades, just book the room that you want and if you get a further upgrade so be it but if you book low and expect an upgrade that doesn't come to fruition then your special occasion will be ruined.

Similan is one of the last unspoiled places in Thailand but unfortunately the boats that trek out here would rather make a fast buck and tear up the remaining corals - shortsightedness, but that's Thai style

Originally Posted by spellbound2
We're platinum so it sounds like breakfast would be covered. Do you think the Renaissance location is nicer than Khao Lak? The Similan and Surin islands look amazingly pretty so we're thinking about visiting them as well. A nice room is also important to us so we can really unwind and not feel like we need to constantly leave a less than relaxing room. We're pretty open to ideas if you think of what would be more romantic. It's a big birthday for my husband so I'm trying to make it really special. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:16 am

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Ren. Using a 1 for 1 offer from the Entertainer App I booked a pool villa for 16,300++ THB for both nights including breakfast. As a gold member I got the 20% discount on food and drinks as well as 2:30pm late checkout. Had a very good stay although I feel the hotel is closer to a very good 4-star hotel than a 5-star/luxury property. The food and cocktails we tried were generally good and reasonably priced although not exceptional. We ate at Loca Vore twice for breakfast and once for lunch, Sandbox once for lunch and once for happy hour and Takieng for dinner and spent around 6,000 THB nett after the 20% discount. The Gai Yang chicken at Sandbox and the Panang salmon curry at Takieng were especially tasty. Service was friendly and usually responsive although not particularly attentive or personalized with Sandbox having particularly poor service and the service at Takieng being much better. Our pool villa was quite nice and private although I disliked the glass walls of the toilet/shower as well as the lack of a door. The plunge pool was fun and particularly appreciated as the main pool is not that large and was fairly crowded. I liked the contemporary casual decor of the resort as well.

Although the location is isolated when we were there the beach was excellent with soft sand for a long ways in both directions as well as clear and calm water (may be different at other times of the year). Overall, we had an excellent stay especially considering the price paid and I would definitely consider returning for a weekend again using the Entertainer App or on a reasonable rate (rates seem to be close to $100 in the offseason). However, I think the property is a poor value on points (40k) and I imagine it would compare unfavorably to RC Bali or RC Langkawi which have much larger entry level rooms and are the same number of points. The RC Koh Samui at 60k points also strikes me as a much better value on points as the entry level rooms are roughly twice the size of the Ren base rooms and the service and dining were more sophisticated.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quant88
Just returned from a weekend stay at the Ren. Using a 1 for 1 offer from the Entertainer App I booked a pool villa for 16,300++ THB for both nights including breakfast. As a gold member I got the 20% discount on food and drinks as well as 2:30pm late checkout. Had a very good stay although I feel the hotel is closer to a very good 4-star hotel than a 5-star/luxury property. The food and cocktails we tried were generally good and reasonably priced although not exceptional. We ate at Loca Vore twice for breakfast and once for lunch, Sandbox once for lunch and once for happy hour and Takieng for dinner and spent around 6,000 THB nett after the 20% discount. The Gai Yang chicken at Sandbox and the Panang salmon curry at Takieng were especially tasty. Service was friendly and usually responsive although not particularly attentive or personalized with Sandbox having particularly poor service and the service at Takieng being much better. Our pool villa was quite nice and private although I disliked the glass walls of the toilet/shower as well as the lack of a door. The plunge pool was fun and particularly appreciated as the main pool is not that large and was fairly crowded. I liked the contemporary casual decor of the resort as well.

Although the location is isolated when we were there the beach was excellent with soft sand for a long ways in both directions as well as clear and calm water (may be different at other times of the year). Overall, we had an excellent stay especially considering the price paid and I would definitely consider returning for a weekend again using the Entertainer App or on a reasonable rate (rates seem to be close to $100 in the offseason). However, I think the property is a poor value on points (40k) and I imagine it would compare unfavorably to RC Bali or RC Langkawi which have much larger entry level rooms and are the same number of points. The RC Koh Samui at 60k points also strikes me as a much better value on points as the entry level rooms are roughly twice the size of the Ren base rooms and the service and dining were more sophisticated.
I generally agree with your review, but are you saying the breakfast at the Loca Vore wasn't "exceptional"? I've probably had more than 200 buffet breakfasts at various 4 and 5 star hotels around the world and I haven't seen a better one. Honestly, I don't know what more they could do for you for breakfast! The price is a bit steep for Thailand if you have to pay for it (well over US$20), but worth it.

I also agree that this property probably isn't "worth it" on points unless your status gets you an upgrade to the villas. If you're Gold, that seems likely -- but maybe it's worth asking in advance. Otherwise, I'd save my points and stay at a non-chain resort. Or better, go someplace in Thailand other than Phuket, who's best days are definitely behind this now overbuilt resort island.
Srisarin likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I generally agree with your review, but are you saying the breakfast at the Loca Vore wasn't "exceptional"?
I guess I thought it was good but not particularly memorable. Selection was very extensive for sure. Feel free to disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.