Search

Marriott Kaua'i

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Marriott Kaua'i

Planning a trip to Kau'i in December (first time to Hawaii). The reviews for Kaua'i Marriott Resort (Kalapaki Beach) are somewhat mixed. (The existing thread has become inactive so I would start a fresh one.) Some people rave about it; others say service is poor to rude. Will be reserving an Ocean View (not Partial Ocean View). Will we really get a full view?

We want to see the Island, not golf, beach or pool. Will rent a car.

Any recent experiences and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.6MM, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
Smile same thoughts here...

I was thinking of booking the Marriott on Kauai as well, but decided to go to Maui since the reviews were all over the map. It seemed like you either loved it or hated it. The tripadvisor reviews were very similar so I booked in to the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa instead of taking the chance.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
I stayed there for 11 nights in February/March this year. Here was the review I put up on TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ai_Hawaii.html

There are only a small number of ocean view rooms in the tower facing the water. As a plat, my upgrade was to the top floor of the tower facing both the pool and the water, so I am guessing they might call it partial ocean view, though not really sure. To be honest, this was fine. This is not a hotel I think where the ocean view is really that worth it. It is pretty, mind you, but the ocean hear is more of a protected area near a port, not open directly to open waters. The view of the port/mountain range/pool/beach was nice, particularly when a cruise ship was docked. It felt very picture postcard.

Service was good to excellent. In particular, if Chad is working the concierge desk, he is great.

Had I paid for this hotel, I think I would have been more critical. But this was a great value for a points stay where my goal was to explore Kaua'i for the first time.

This is the perfect, perfect location if your goal is to have a homebase and explore the island by car. We did various daytrips everyday, and this was a great homebase hotel, with reasonable driving distances to the north shore, western shores, or Poipu.

Last edited by defiance96; Jul 1, 2011 at 11:01 am
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defiance96

This is the perfect, perfect location if your goal is to have a homebase and explore the island by car. We did various daytrips everyday, and this was a great homebase hotel, with reasonable driving distances to the north shore, western shores, or Poipu.
Thanks for the very informative review. Your last paragraph is key. I booked last night - our first trip to Hawaii.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
Thanks for the very informative review. Your last paragraph is key. I booked last night - our first trip to Hawaii.
You are welcome! Kaua'i is absolutely a special place and was my longest trip staying on one island. The Big Island is probably my favorite because it was my first Hawaii experience, but Kaua'i absolutely is a fantastic introduction to why you will want to return again and again to the islands.

I'm sure you'll get tons of advice as your trip approaches , but in keeping with this being the Marriott thread:

Close to the Marriott stuff : Duke's for dinner, Kalapaki Beach Hut (yummy burgers) Not at your Marriott but open to the public: Watch the sunset at Poipu at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club's outdoor bar. Great bartenders there.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by defiance96
You are welcome! Kaua'i is absolutely a special place and was my longest trip staying on one island. The Big Island is probably my favorite because it was my first Hawaii experience, but Kaua'i absolutely is a fantastic introduction to why you will want to return again and again to the islands.

I'm sure you'll get tons of advice as your trip approaches , but in keeping with this being the Marriott thread:

Close to the Marriott stuff : Duke's for dinner, Kalapaki Beach Hut (yummy burgers) Not at your Marriott but open to the public: Watch the sunset at Poipu at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club's outdoor bar. Great bartenders there.
I am about to book three nights here on points next year. We stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon back in 1988 when it was a Westin. We know the place won't quite be the same.

Your review on TA was very helpful. I was reading another review that mentioned having to pay $15 to use the TV??? Is that right??

The last time I remember paying to watch ordinary TV channels in a hotel was the coin-operated black and white TVs they had at Motel 6 when rooms actually cost $6!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
It's been quite a while since I was there but we loved it. Make sure you get an Ono Char Burger and the breakfast at the Tic Toc Bakery is awsome.
Queens Bath is not to be missed also.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
I was reading another review that mentioned having to pay $15 to use the TV??? Is that right??
Just a reminder that MI has started to pull Pay Per View from all hotels but I do believe this is what the review was referring to....
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:20 pm

Kauai Marroitt

W love this hotel, and we have been to most of them on Kauai. The location is fantastic- central to both sides of the island. The beach is not a "true" beach as someone has pointed out. Instead it is a cove that is good for little kids to get used to the water, but not that much else. Understanding that, the pool is wonderful, the services are top notch and the prices for food, etc are much more reasonable than the Hyatt Regency. There is a tower that faces the ocean that is timeshare units-that is ocean front. The hotel towers are ocean view (over the pool) and partial ocean view (angled view of pool and ocean). There is no charge to watch TV, but they do have movies for rent. The internet is free if you are elite marriott. The breakfast is not since it is a resort.

If you love the beach and surf and that is what you are going for, then Poipu is a better choice. In Poipu there is a Marriott vacation club (Waikaloa) with 2 bedroom suites- they are beautiful but it is not a full service hotel. Also there is not much else over there, except a high priced shopping mall, and hi priced restaurants.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just got back from my honeymoon where the last part was spent at this Marriott. Agreed that it has a great location on the island where you can access all parts. The pool is large and great and there are 6 jacuzzi's around it that are a great place to relax. We had an ocean view room and I agree with everyone here that it's more of a cove/water/pool view but still very nice. We didn't eat much at the hotel but explored some great local places in Lihue. I highly recommend Mark's, it doesn't look like much, but it was delicious.

On another note, we also stayed at the Waikoloa Marriott on the big island. While it was some of the best service I've ever had, I thought the hotel had extremely long walks to get everwhere and the pool was pretty weak for a hotel in Hawaii.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
We stayed here a year ago and enjoyed it. I'd return, no question.

What we liked:
- Location - no more than an hour's drive from either end of the island. We explored everywhere
- Beach - I guess I sort of get the comments about its not being a "real" beach, but every morning I walked down there with a cup of hot tea and my book and just sat and read and watched the surf. I'm not a sun worshiper; I just like to relax on the beach in the mornings/evenings when it's not too hot. I loved that it was so close and easy to walk to.
- Pool is very nice. I'm not big on lying by the pool all day but I did use it a few days for a while. It's huge and there are plenty of lounge chairs, and also towels.

Didn't like:
- Prices of food and even things like coffee/tea - but this is Hawaii; what are you going to do? That's the case everywhere. (I say this because my husband was seriously annoyed at what we had to pay for breakfast). They had a "Mahalo Mug" which cost $35 which had unlimited refills of coffee as well as soda. He drank coffee in the morning; I drank soda in the afternoon. It was a good deal.
- Charges for self parking. Again this happens at many resorts but I find it annoying. Valet would be another story.

I thought the service was fine. I am/was Marriott Elite and I am sure that gets me better service than someone who is not.

We had an ocean view but between being farther back within the resort and also the pool in the way, it wasn't the greatest view. I didn't really mind.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. If not already MR PLT, I will pass the threshold while there, if that matters.

I am a serious amateur photographer so really looking forward to this trip.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by axpmaluga
I highly recommend Mark's, it doesn't look like much, but it was delicious.
+1

Mark's is fantastic. Tasty food, large servings, and great prices. Not a tourist place in any way. You can eat at the picnic tables out front or do take away. It's not really a restaurant, but it can't be beat.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A question about the rooms: comments above indicate "partial view" and "view over the pool". We paid for an "ocean view" room described as:

"Looking out on the white sand beach of Kalapaki, ocean view with balcony"

Is this likely to be a full view, partial view, or view over the pool? Or is the "full view" "over the pool"? Thought I would call the hotel to confirm we get what we paid for, but wanted to be more informed before I called.

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
And for breakfast try Dani's, but then again I like Hawaiian style on the big island. I seem to remember a Mexican place near the Marriott also, in the shopping center across the road on the 2nd floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.