Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grand Rapids, MI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Marriott Platinum, Southwest RR

I am looking into a weekend beach vacation. I live in central Ohio so the closet ocean beach is about a 10 hour drive. I was doing some searching and found the JW Marriott Grand Rapids has a beach 30 miles away called Grand Haven St. Park. The Google earth pictures look nice, but I am somewhat skeptical still. The hotel looks nice for a category 4, its a JW so I'm assuming it is an above par FS Marriott. Has anyone had any experience with this hotel? They say the CL is open 7 days with 4 presentations and complimentary beer n wine in the evening I am also wondering if anyone has gone to any of the Lake Michigan beaches in Michigan (not Chicago) and if you have any stories or details about the Grand Rapids area? All my wife has been saying all summer is I WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH, so without taking a week off work this seems like the best bet and with the 2 free category 4 certs we just earned can't beat that I figure! Thought/suggestions/comments appreciated! Thanks a lot as always!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
First, welcome to FT, even though you've been on for 6 months. Second, if you do a search (upper right corner) you'll get a few threads re: the JW Marriott GR. The short version is that it gets RAVE reviews.

Also, come down to Holland if you want a really nice beach - also 30 minutes away from GR. Holland State Park also gets rave reviews, and downtown Holland is cute, quaint, you'll love it. There are also some good restaurants on the water you can eat at, as well as some nice ones in town.

I live in the GR/Holland/GH area now, so feel free to PM me with any questions or if you need additional information.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info on past threads, sounds like a great property! I'm excited to come visit the area and the beach especially, we are thinking about the 2nd weekend in August for 3 days 2 nights with our Cat 4 certs. I will PM you with some questions later if you don't mind.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:42 am

Glad I could help. It's a nice property and a nice area, especially the beaches PM me as trip gets closer.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Also, check this Renaissance out. Not sure how the distance factors into it.
http://www.innatbayharbor.com/
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Also, check this Renaissance out. Not sure how the distance factors into it.
http://www.innatbayharbor.com/
Petoskey is a few hours north & he's coming from central Ohio. Property looks nice btw, but it's a resort & he's using 2 Cat 4 certs. JW for some reason is a Cat 4.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Not sure I'd stay in GRR if I was planning on visiting Lake Michigan myself....growing up I'd spend a great deal of time on the shore camping in the state parks near Muskegon...it's not a bad drive from GRR to any of the beaches but it's not close either...I can assure you SW Michigan is a great spot to spend a weekend and there's some great hotels there...I'd use the cert for another trip honestly (IMO)
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:36 pm

There's a Residence Inn & Fairfield Inn in Holland if he wants to stay w/ Marriott chain; beach less than 10 minutes away from both. No idea on rates, but the OP might want to check.

Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I am leaning toward the JW because of lounge access, spa for the wife and overall upscale hotel. I figure if we have to drive to the beach either way no difference in 10 min or 30 min to me, unless the hotels on the beach I think I will go with amenities & perks. I am glad to hear experienced travelers appreciate the area, that makes me even more excited! The only experience in Michigan I can remember from when I was a kid was Mackinac Island, but I haven't been there since I was probably 6 years old. Thanks again to all the FT'ers who contribute your input, it makes my travel decisions much easier and comfortable with where I am staying. I will be sure to write a detailed review of the stay for future first time Michigan beach goers!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bokeyes23
I am leaning toward the JW because of lounge access, spa for the wife and overall upscale hotel. I figure if we have to drive to the beach either way no difference in 10 min or 30 min to me, unless the hotels on the beach I think I will go with amenities & perks. I am glad to hear experienced travelers appreciate the area, that makes me even more excited! The only experience in Michigan I can remember from when I was a kid was Mackinac Island, but I haven't been there since I was probably 6 years old. Thanks again to all the FT'ers who contribute your input, it makes my travel decisions much easier and comfortable with where I am staying. I will be sure to write a detailed review of the stay for future first time Michigan beach goers!
I dont think you could go wrong staying at the GRR JW....it's a terrific hotel run by a terrific management company with an excellent rep (This is a side business for the parent company-billion dollar GRR based public company, I often point to them when speaking to other hoteliers and ask - if these non-hotel folks can give great service, offer a great product and still make a profit do it why can't you??)

GRR is a very visitor friendly town with a ton to do for "getaway" weekends (Ford Pres Library, Meijer Gardens, DeVos Museum etc) and as mentioned a ton to do near by (beach, Muskegon, Holland, Douglas/Saugatuck)...myself for a getaway weekend I'd stay in GRR, for the beach I'm going to the Carrib or somewhere a little further south (but I do love Lake MI Beaches)

Last edited by socrates; Jul 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:27 pm

I grew up in Grand Rapids and visit a couple times a year. Grand Haven and Holland are fine choices for a visit but I never cared much for the beaches there. Where I would go is about two and a half hours North from the JW to the Lake Michigan Rec area in between Ludington and Manistee. That is some of the best beach front in the country and is seldom crowded at all. There is camping there but also day parking. There are probably a few places like this but this is one of my favorites. We drive from Nebraska just to camp there.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:19 pm

JW Marriott Grand Rapids

As there's no dedicated thread on this hotel as of yet, I'd thought I'd start one and share my comments.

Arrival:

Easy drive in. Grand Rapids felt very quiet on a Friday morning. Hotel entrance is convenient as it's off a main street with its own circular driveway, making double-parking easy if you need to wait for someone. The valet and bellmen were very friendly but a bit incompetent, as a cluster of five of them stood ten feet away from my car as I unloaded it.

The front desk was very friendly, having keys ready for me for a nice upgrade to a suite around noon. Platinum benefits were explained (lounge is open seven days a week) and a full bottle of 2009 Canyon Ranch merlot was sent up as well as a plate of three assorted cheeses. Very nice.

Room:

We were in the Japan Suite (1415). The suite is a good size, with panoramic windows facing the river toward the south. The living room has a sofa, two chairs, and full working desk, along with a little bar in the corner. There is an awkward entrance to the single bathroom off the living room, which I didn't care for. The bed area was accessed via a sliding door off the living room (or via the bathroom). The bedroom had a comfortable velvet chaise lounger and excellent bed, as well as a half-desk or makeup counter. Everything was of a good quality and the lay out was intelligent enough. The bathroom was the real highlight, with a fantastic shower, deep jacuzzi tub, and quality products. Unfortunately, there was live music downstairs both nights and it was very audible from about 8pm until 2am.

F&B:

Good, not great. We ordered dinner from the restaurant one night, and some desserts the next. While our flatbreads and wings were very tasty, my steak tasted a little cheap and overcooked, despite requesting it medium. Desserts were overly inventive but still good. On a positive note, everything was priced reasonably, and dinner and desserts for two, spread out over two orders, ran about $100.

The Club Lounge is open seven days a week and offers a continental breakfast, some tapas, and a dessert spread. Beer and wine are also complimentary in the evenings. The service was the best at the hotel here, and it was a lovely low-key place to relax with a drink and take in the view.

Service:

Again, good, but not great. Based on the hotel's marketing, I was expecting full-on five-star international luxury. Granted, the price was nowhere near this, so I'm not that put off that I didn't receive it, but it was not quite the top-noch level I would have expected. No turndown service is done, nor is a newspaper delivered in the mornings. Housekeeping is also a little sloppy; we found some straws and silverware behind the desk as well as some stains on the towels given to us. Also, a concierge was rarely present at the desk, even during normal business hours. I found the staff, in general, to be very friendly but relatively amateurish for a luxury hotel in providing basic requests and phrasing their communication with guests.

All in all, a good, but not great, upscale hotel. If I was in Grand Rapids, I'd stay here without hesitation. However, it's not quite the destination hotel I was expecting. Excellent value though, perhaps the best I've found in the country.

Last edited by nba1017; Jun 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by nba1017
As there's no dedicated thread on this hotel as of yet, I'd thought I'd start one and share my comments.
Yup...none.

JW Grand Rapids Stay
JW Grand Rapids
JW Grand Rapids: wow

Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott PLT, National EE
Outdoor Amenities

I've been reading a lot about this hotel as a great use for a Category 4 certificate. One thing I never see (and cant see on the hotel website) is if there's any kind of an outdoor sun deck or similar setup here? I realize the pool is an indoor pool, but was hoping for some type of option with lounge chairs and sun. Can anyone who has stayed here advise if there's such at thing at the JWGR?

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tommyhob
I've been reading a lot about this hotel as a great use for a Category 4 certificate. One thing I never see (and cant see on the hotel website) is if there's any kind of an outdoor sun deck or similar setup here? I realize the pool is an indoor pool, but was hoping for some type of option with lounge chairs and sun. Can anyone who has stayed here advise if there's such at thing at the JWGR?

Thanks
Haven't stayed there so I don't know. You could call the property & ask. If not, the beaches are about 30 minutes away.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.