Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grand Rapids, MI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Grand Rapids, MI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:06 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
If the OP's account is accurate, and I have no reason to doubt it, the action of the hotel staff seemed to have criminal intent. The lack of concern by the Ambassador desk and their attempt to sweep it under the rug for 15,000 points makes them complicit.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A hotel doing the kind of thing mentioned in the OP should never happen and would be understandably very concerning to anyone who has such a thing happen to them. And giving 15k points as "compensation" or whatever for this kind of situation seems like having salt poured on an open wound.

While the actions of the hotel staff seem to indicate criminal intent of some sort -- I've been at a hotel where theft from the parking lot almost certainly involved hotel "security" being in on the illegal activity, perhaps in partnership with some front desk employee -- I'm wondering if the hotel front desk staff have a management/owner that threatens to dock employee pay for any cash/revenue shortfalls caught by "accounting"/"management"/whatever. Fear of loss of income can cause some people to do crazy things, and it doesn't necessarily take a whole lot for colleagues who are stuck working the "bad shift" together a lot to be supportive of each other even when it comes to questionable behavior/response.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I still feel like we're missing part of this story.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Considering this property for a one-night stay this summer at 35k points, which is a good points to dollar ratio. The AC is 24k and the RI is 28k. Any thoughts if it's the right call? (Platinum, two people, will have a car and will be exploring Grand Rapids before heading to the lake). TIA!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Considering this property for a one-night stay this summer at 35k points, which is a good points to dollar ratio. The AC is 24k and the RI is 28k. Any thoughts if it's the right call? (Platinum, two people, will have a car and will be exploring Grand Rapids before heading to the lake). TIA!
It's been just under 4 years since my stay here but I really liked it. As long as you're not extremely short on points I'd gladly outlay an extra 11,000 over an AC and 7K over an RI.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:37 pm

Parking

I see parking is now $39 per day. Are there any other cheaper options close by?
Old May 2, 2022, 10:11 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Amy28
I see parking is now $39 per day. Are there any other cheaper options close by?
There's a city ramp not too far away with a posted $12/day max. It's the Louis Campeau ramp.
Tanic likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:08 am

Recent Stays

Have stayed here a few times the past few months. Overall, decent service. As a current platinum, I see upgrades typically to a river view.

Breakfast has changed. Months ago it was either Starbucks (any drink and any food item) or dine off menu at the restaurant, then changed to the restaurant, and now on the weekends, breakfast is in the lounge. The lounge breakfast (continental) consists of bread/pasteies, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, boiled eggs, and fruit.

Lounge open during the daytime (closes overnight), with a deep-fried appetizer (typically), cheese, and dessert offered in the evenings. Variety of soft drinks, coffee, tea, and water available. Alcoholic beverages available for pay in the evenings, but I haven't been charged.

Pool and spa still closed.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Wrapping up a one night stay here.
We hadn't realized it was the night of the big Grand Rapids fireworks, so the hotel was very crowded with families with big coolers, running around wet from the pool, and our SNA did not clear. We were upgraded to a "executive" room with River View which was great for the fireworks. The room was fine. I did note that all the bathroom amenities seemed to be by different companies. You did hear everything in the hallways, but it calmed down by bedtime.

Executive king room

Breakfast was a big disappointment. The Platinum offering on weekends is just the lounge, which has a spread worse than most Hampton Inns. Yogurt, cereal, bread, some pastry, coffee, fruit. Plus, it only goes until 10am, which, on a weekend, is too early. Wish I'd slept in.

Luxury

Lounge buffet

Gym had good equipment, though no mats and only water bottles-nothing to refill your own. It also wasn't locked so kids from the pool easily came in and made mischief.

Gym

We were explicitly told about the evening reception at the lounge at check in and given a sheet with hours. When my partner went to work from the room while I rested, he was kicked out by security after a bit. We called down and were told that the lounge was closed for the night for a private event. (the outdoor lobby bar was as well ) We were offered 1000 points for *our* "misunderstanding", and when I pointed out it was not anything we misunderstood, we got a bottle of prosecco sent to the room.

In all, it doesn't seem like a luxury property by any means.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:01 am

I've stayed at the JW Marriott before. It is a "nice" hotel. IMO, the rooms are starting to show their age. The purple decor and carpets are just not keeping up when the times.

The common areas of the hotel have been getting attention. The new wellness spa & outdoor restaurant is nice. Updated conference space is nice. The Starbucks onsite is great. The lounge is okay, but nothing really special - decent views, though.

Speaking generally, Downtown Grand Rapids is interesting right now.
  • IHG has nothing other than a Holiday Inn, which was completely renovated (rooms, lobby & common areas) in 2021. Offers free parking and shuttle service, still.
  • Hilton has the Amway Grand (a bit too baroque for me), and a brand new Canopy Hotel that is priced to compete with the JW Marriott
  • Hyatt has a brand new (2020) Hyatt Place that follows the new brand standards (aka, it will be one of the nicest Hyatt Place you have seen, easily competing with the nicest Courtyards Marriott). Floor to ceiling windows, Tupelo Honey restaurant attached to it. This is a similar design to Hyatt Place Atlanta Perimeter
  • Marriott has a brand new Residence Inn (also have stayed here), an AC Hotel, and....the old JW Marriott.

Don't get me wrong; the JW Marriott is pretty nice. It is the most full-service, glass castle hotel in Grand Rapids. But we decided to not stay at the JW Marriott for an upcoming stay, simply because the decor is just not doing it for us, and the premium attached to the hotel is not worth it, when compared to the other hotels. Specifically the Holiday Inn, Hyatt Place, Canopy, Residence Inn, and AC Hotel. All of these hotels "come out swinging" with strong offerings that are priced lower (the Canopy and JW are similarly priced).

The Holiday Inn used to be old and worn; but the renovation has brought it up to brand standards, often available on free IHG night certificate, and has free parking/shuttle service. The Hyatt Place is very compelling, and a Category 1-4 hotel, for use with free night certificates. The AC/Residence Inn are often priced lower than the JW Marriott, and useful for the 25k free night certificates.

With that said; the JW Marriott has to up it's game to continue to command a premium. For Marriott to have (3) downtown hotels with over (147 + 340 + 130) 600 rooms; I suspect IHG / Hyatt will bring another hotel to downtown GR to compete with the JW Marriott and Canopy. The JW Marriott has been doing work in bits and pieces with the common areas, conference space, and lobby. But the room decor and bathrooms appear to be unchanged for years, maybe even decades. The only change to the rooms was the 2018 renovation that added floor to ceiling windows, but even a Hyatt Place will offer that now.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by factory81
I've stayed at the JW Marriott before. It is a "nice" hotel. IMO, the rooms are starting to show their age
...the room decor and bathrooms appear to be unchanged for years, maybe even decades.
Thoughtful review.
Would note the JW is 15 years old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.