Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Hotel Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
[email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-f-amp-b-2881
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Hotel Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

See post # 152.
Just to clarity. It would be me, my husband, my 18 yo son and 15 yo daughter. Do you think we would be uncharged or turned away as platinums?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I would really advise that trying to squeeze above legal maximum people into a reservation in Italy is really a bad idea. As others have reported sometimes hotel staff will be able to find a way around things, but it’s not exactly being fair to them. Other times you risk having your family being turned away or being asked to fork up hundreds or thousands of Euros for different accommodation or extra fees.

It just sounds like a terrible idea. You wouldn’t turn up to a 6 seater private jet reservation with 10 people.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:57 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
There are a few cities in the world where I just book a specific property without doing much shopping around.

Is this hotel so great that I should just book there and not look back? Reviews are quite good. Or should I give a chance to Westin if the price difference is material for my dates, or other non-Marriott options as well?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
There are a few cities in the world where I just book a specific property without doing much shopping around.

Is this hotel so great that I should just book there and not look back? Reviews are quite good. Or should I give a chance to Westin if the price difference is material for my dates, or other non-Marriott options as well?
If you can afford it, this hotel is absolutely worth it. If not, then the Westin is an excellent alternative. If you need a pool, the Four Seasons is a worthy alternative, but we much preferred this St Regis over the FS and would stay here again without a second thought. We had a vastly superior experience here at the St Regis compared even with the spectacularly beautiful Belmond Villa San Michele in the Fiesole Hills above Florence.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I would really advise that trying to squeeze above legal maximum people into a reservation in Italy is really a bad idea. As others have reported sometimes hotel staff will be able to find a way around things, but it’s not exactly being fair to them. Other times you risk having your family being turned away or being asked to fork up hundreds or thousands of Euros for different accommodation or extra fees.

It just sounds like a terrible idea. You wouldn’t turn up to a 6 seater private jet reservation with 10 people.
I have two rooms reserved and I'll leave it that way. Perhaps if my children were little I would have a better shot. Also, people have had success with three, four may be too much. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by sunbon
I have two rooms reserved and I'll leave it that way. Perhaps if my children were little I would have a better shot. Also, people have had success with three, four may be too much. Thanks!
Yea if you're kids are that old I wont risk it...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If you can afford it, this hotel is absolutely worth it. If not, then the Westin is an excellent alternative. If you need a pool, the Four Seasons is a worthy alternative, but we much preferred this St Regis over the FS and would stay here again without a second thought. We had a vastly superior experience here at the St Regis compared even with the spectacularly beautiful Belmond Villa San Michele in the Fiesole Hills above Florence.
Thanks for the feedback, this is what I suspected. For my purposes, the issue is not so much about affordability, but more about where do I get the best value for the money. I see St.Regis priced about 20% more per night than Westin; sounds like for a difference of this magnitude I should not overthink this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: United
St. Regis Florence

First time poster!! I'm trying to see if I can book the St. Regis Florence for my husband and kids in early June (will need two rooms). We have 900k amex points but the conversion rate with Amex is terrible (1.43 points : $1 dollar). I thought about transferring the amex points to Marriott but the hotel apparently does not accept Marriott points - which was really surprising. I thought I would try here to see if any travel genius has any thoughts on how I can make this work or recommend another great hotel in Florence that I might be able to use points for efficiently. Thanks so much for any help!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nam26
First time poster!! I'm trying to see if I can book the St. Regis Florence for my husband and kids in early June (will need two rooms). We have 900k amex points but the conversion rate with Amex is terrible (1.43 points : $1 dollar). I thought about transferring the amex points to Marriott but the hotel apparently does not accept Marriott points - which was really surprising. I thought I would try here to see if any travel genius has any thoughts on how I can make this work or recommend another great hotel in Florence that I might be able to use points for efficiently. Thanks so much for any help!

Welcome to FT, even though I see you joined 3 yrs ago. Always a good idea to search if there is an existing thread on the topic to save the mods some work into moving your post.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

Anyhow, something strange about your post. All hotels at Marriott allow you to make award reservations (assuming they have availability). It’s not clear but almost sounds like you tried to send Amex pts directly to hotel which is not possible. Once your Amex pts are transferred to your Marriott account, just make a reservation at the St Regis on the Marriott website and check the “Use Points” box when doing your search. Good luck.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had a contact email for management of this hotel they coudl PM me. Heading there soon and after a couple of issues on recent St.R properties I want this one to go smoothly. I have a lot of confidence in this hotel and already got a Arno Junior Suite booked but as its a special occasion just want to reach out to the hotel ahead of time.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:29 am

Why don't you fax them instead?

[email protected] - they are very responsive through this email address.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:47 am

Staying at this hotel for 5 nights in October this year with the wife. We would like to tour some of the vineyards in Chianti or Brunello for a day.
Saw there are bunch of organized tours that includes 2 vineyards and a lunch spot that include transportation to and from Florence. I am looking for more quality rather than quantity on the wines we taste. So was looking at Badia a Passignano/Antinori Classico, where both of them will taste the Tignanello/Solaia/Pian Del Vian, etc.....or the Tenuta San Guido for some Sassicaia. Goal is to tour one of these 3 vineyards and stay for lunch or dinner?
I looked at those 3 websites, and I can arrange reservations myself, but what about transportation there?

Read some reviewers, that they had their hotel arrange a private driver for the day to tour the wine country. Has anyone done that at the St. Regis Florence? What is the cost associated with that?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Way back in 2012, we arranged for a private driver through the hotel. We did this before arriving so the driver could customize our tours. Our driver spoke fluent English and Italian. We used him for two days. We had a wonderful experience. I don’t remember how much we paid but it was worth every penny.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Through the St Regis, we paid 1000 euros for car & driver and guide for our Lucca/Pisa day trip, 1000 euros for car & driver (and got extra wine guide by good fortune) for our Chianti wine tasting day trip, and 1000 euros for car & driver (and got extra wine guide by good fortune again) for our Chianti-Siena wine tasting day trip ending at La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza.

Private cars and drivers are very expensive in Italy. For us, it was totally worth it. Especially because we could drink up at lunch and not worry about the driving at all. And also because we used points for our stay!

Also, the wine guide for us turned out to be the wine tour company owner—he knew we had paid extra for some special tastings and that we were getting special attention because I’d done the UC Davis winemaking certificate program. I think he wanted to see what we were offered! But he also was a wonderful wealth of information and interesting stories about the wines and estates in the area.

Of course, the private car & driver we had arranged via La Bandita Townhouse for our Montalcino and Montepulciano day trips was half that at 500 euros each day.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Commie
Staying at this hotel for 5 nights in October this year with the wife. We would like to tour some of the vineyards in Chianti or Brunello for a day.
Saw there are bunch of organized tours that includes 2 vineyards and a lunch spot that include transportation to and from Florence. I am looking for more quality rather than quantity on the wines we taste. So was looking at Badia a Passignano/Antinori Classico, where both of them will taste the Tignanello/Solaia/Pian Del Vian, etc.....or the Tenuta San Guido for some Sassicaia. Goal is to tour one of these 3 vineyards and stay for lunch or dinner?
I looked at those 3 websites, and I can arrange reservations myself, but what about transportation there?

Read some reviewers, that they had their hotel arrange a private driver for the day to tour the wine country. Has anyone done that at the St. Regis Florence? What is the cost associated with that?
You may want to check more carefully in advance about the visits at Sassicaia and the other famous super Tuscans. Many of those wouldn’t allow visits, even with my UC Davis winemaking certification. It may have been the time of year near harvest (late Sept/Oct 2018), but it sounded like they were not particularly interested in visitors. Your assumption that visits to those are easily arranged on your own may be a bit optimistic. But keep us posted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.