FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

Astrophsx Sep 26, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm guessing these retention offers are for people who did not take an offer the previous year? I'm not sure if you are able to get it two years in a row, but you are most likely able to get it every other year. Typically the CSR on the retention line will say something like "I see about the same time last year we gave you..."

flyerfrog Oct 21, 2013 4:08 pm

I was offered a 2,000 point bonus to keep my personal card. I spent $20K on it in the last 12 months. I'll try again in a couple of days to see if it changes.

SomeGuy28 Oct 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Called on 10/21 regarding $65 AF on Personal SPG. Have had the card for 3 years, never received retention bonus. Spend ~ 10k per year on card.

Was offered $15 account credit (odd number) and 3,000 SPG points. Accepted offer.

Happydayy Nov 13, 2013 8:52 am

called today. have the card for 2 years, got nothing offered last year. spend was $15k per year, mostly on spg. was offered $50. I asked for points and was offered 4k. I asked for 5k. Was denied. I accepted 4k.

badm96 Nov 14, 2013 5:11 am

No offer

I usually spend 50K on the card. called last year and was offered $25 statement credit so I took it.

This year, called and said I want to cancel because of annual fee. CS replied "no problem. your account is canceled". I am taking my business elsewhere.

claurianta2 Nov 14, 2013 6:19 am

Has anyone got a retention bonus on the Canadian SPG card?

beachfan Dec 16, 2013 8:28 pm

30k spend, annual fee just hit.

Got to the cancellation dept right away by answering "cancel the card" when automated voice asked me what I wanted.

Got offered 2,000k points. Said my friend was offered 4,000 points, another got a $100 statement credit. No budge off the offer.

Got a supervisor who kindly explained "no budge". I took the 2k and then asked him to look at my wife's card (separate account) and got him to give 1k on that card (just taken out in August). I had to put my wife on twice (once to authorize to speak to me, once to accept the 1k points, sheesh) even though I'm an authorized financial manager on her account.

While I was ok with the free extra 1k points, I wouldn't have done it if I had to put her on the phone twice (she hates that stuff).

Thanks to the upstream posters for their info!

dingalpha Dec 18, 2013 9:21 pm

chatted online. said no bonus points against annual fee. However, the agent send an request of 3K points to the supervisor.

If approved, will receive them within 5 days.

hedge Jan 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Datapoint: Called in, they said no statement credits available, was offered 1k SPG points instead but they wouldn't go any higher.

js80 Feb 20, 2014 10:09 am

SPG Business card. 1st year anniversary. Spent > $30k, and have been with Amex overall since 1999. Was offered $100 statement credit -- took that first offer.

I did have to say the word "cancel" before the first line CR would even connect me with the retention department.

ecs777 Mar 11, 2014 5:52 pm

SPG Amex - Annual Fee Retention Offer

Called the # on the back of the card. Chose the cancel option.

I noted my annual fee had recently posted (3/3/14) and was looking for some sort of retention offer on this card (fee waiver or points).

No go ....even after pointing out that I spent over $30k last year. still no offer.
Mentioned about others with the same card getting an offer of points.. still no offer.

They talked about the fee being justified for the type of card & value it provided. Said I could downgrade to a no fee card of a different type.

I told them I would keep the card for now and not cancel.

Will try back at the end of the month.

scubadu Mar 12, 2014 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ecs777 (Post 22506412)
Called the # on the back of the card. Chose the cancel option.

I noted my annual fee had recently posted (3/3/14) and was looking for some sort of retention offer on this card (fee waiver or points).

No go ....even after pointing out that I spent over $30k last year. still no offer.
Mentioned about others with the same card getting an offer of points.. still no offer.

They talked about the fee being justified for the type of card & value it provided. Said I could downgrade to a no fee card of a different type.

I told them I would keep the card for now and not cancel.

Will try back at the end of the month.

So, just to be clear, you bluffed, they called your bluff, and the card is still in your pocket, yes?

It would seem that their assertion that the card actually has, you know, value might be correct since it's still in your pocket.

If you think you'll just eventually cancel the card and try to get it again in the future, for another bonus, you might want to review this thread. There is some emerging evidence that Amex is going to start playing hardball.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html

It remains strange to me the emotional energy people invest in saving $65... :confused:

Regards

Scotttyd Mar 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by gerald5 (Post 16376556)
Signup bonus is a one-time thing.

I have got it twice in the past - a couple of years apart

biggestbopper Mar 25, 2014 2:55 pm

I've gotten 4 or 5 bonuses on both the SPG personal and business cards over the years. Current AX policy is you have to wait at least a year after cancellation of a previous card of same type to get a new bonus.

However, this is rumored to be changing around May 1, 2014 to one bonus per card type per lifetime. This was more or less the policy years ago although there were ways around it.

In any event, called today to cancel my personal SPG card as the annual fee came up and I have an SPG business card.

No retention offer, card cancelled.

BrianLo Mar 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 21511521)
I'm guessing these retention offers are for people who did not take an offer the previous year? I'm not sure if you are able to get it two years in a row, but you are most likely able to get it every other year. Typically the CSR on the retention line will say something like "I see about the same time last year we gave you..."

Originally Posted by claurianta2 (Post 21783165)
Has anyone got a retention bonus on the Canadian SPG card?

Yup, last year I called and I think got like 3k points on a ~20k spend.

This year I called again, didn't bother with the "cancellation" song and dance and just asked if they could give me the same amount of points again to offset the annual fee. He looked it up and said yup, I'll actually give you 6k this time (annual spend was ~32k).

Note once again this is for a Canadian SPG.