FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

wyseson Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am

I'm up for my first renewal on my personal SPG AMEX. In my first year I spent $5.8k on the card. Called the retentionv# in the wiki and got two offers.

7k spg points for $500 spend within one month
$75 credit for $2,000 spend within 3 months

I took the points. I'm hoping to get the new free night certificate benefit in Augusy and not wait until next renewal.

bornsupercharged Apr 20, 2018 9:30 am

No offer

Spent $35k for the year, annual fee hit end of March. Called in today, 4/20, was not offered anything. They tried to tell me in August I'll be earning more points for stays, 6x vs. 2x now, but I told them that's a lie because 2x SPG is already worth 6x Marriott so there's no benefit. And in fact the amount of points per stay at SPG properties is TBD and most likely will not be in my favor. Regardless since I'm still accruing SPG points for a trip coming up, I chose not to cancel the card. We'll just wait and see what happens but overall I'm not impressed with the merger.

brabb12 Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am

Wouldn't offer me a retention offer. Says I accepted a offer of 10,000 SPG points in Jan. Annual fee was due in december for my business card. One of the reasons I have been keeping the business card over the personal one is because I got the lounge access for my family when we were staying at Sheraton hotels. It was a big money saver, since we didn't have to pay for breakfast, and they usually had something decent for dinner. Debating if I should keep this card or not. My family only travels for vacation like once a year so not sure if its worth it.

inter_change Apr 20, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 29637634)
Was your AF posted on your statement yet?
Is this your paid fee 1st renewal?

If you read the thread, they are more likely to provide you an offer only after your AF is posted with higher annual spend.
If all are in check, perhaps it's just the CSR you were talking to.
Hang up and try again.

This time take the approach by setting your foot forward, stating your annual spend and your good credit standing with AMEX.
Next, tell them how much you value the card, BUT... you don't know how long all these perks (IE 5k bonus AIRMILES TRANSFER) that comes with starwood program will last with the rumor on the merger next week.
Is there any way they can offer you any incentive to keep this card?

YMMV, best of luck!

This was with my PRG and first year renewal. I called 4 times two a month before AF hit and two after it was on my statement. Using both the number on the card and the wiki number but was offered nothing. The calls all seemed to be the same you got 25k points for free and if you don't want to pay the fee use your membership rewards to pay it. Even though I said I'm willing to pay the fee to keep the card but if there's an offer of bonus rewards points I'll be more inclined to keep it. Then they tried to sell me on the stupid Plan It thing and said I have no use for it I pay my card in full each month. I'll try again with SPG as it will be due soon but I'm thinking same outcome.

CarlosRodrigue Apr 20, 2018 4:07 pm

It is interesting
if we will get the free night. Those like me who have the fee coming up. I guess it is 50/50 chance how they will do it.

CarlosRodrigue Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

If I get my retention points, and then I pay my fee, and then I cancel the card in 3 months:
  1. Do I get partial credit (money) back for annual fee?
  2. Will they grab the points back?

inter_change Apr 21, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue (Post 29665550)
It is interesting
if we will get the free night. Those like me who have the fee coming up. I guess it is 50/50 chance how they will do it.

From what I've read from travel blog sites those with renewals in July or earlier will not get the award night. The email I received from Amex says "Beginning with your first renewal on or after August 1, 2018" after paying the AF twice is when you'll get it. Want us to pay $190 for our "free" night next year no thanks. Better off cancelling SPG open the Chase Marriott card you'll get a night certificate + a SUB.

lotrbfme Apr 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by inter_change (Post 29667875)
From what I've read from travel blog sites those with renewals in July or earlier will not get the award night. The email I received from Amex says "Beginning with your first renewal on or after August 1, 2018" after paying the AF twice is when you'll get it. Want us to pay $190 for our "free" night next year no thanks. Better off cancelling SPG open the Chase Marriott card you'll get a night certificate + a SUB.

called to complain about this because my annual fee is due at the end of July and they told me that the reps had a meeting and that they are aware of this situation so they might do an exception for some people but there is nothing set in stone yet, and that I should call on July again.

Plato90s Apr 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Called to cancel, got no retention offer.

I've had this Amex for ~8 years but there's been minimal charges on this card for the past year - less than $1k for past 12 months. Annual fee was charged at the end of March so I could still get the $95 refunded.

The rep did mention the free night. I questioned whether I'd even get a free night until next March. She had no answer.

CarlosRodrigue Apr 23, 2018 8:48 am

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue (Post 29665561)
If I get my retention points, and then I pay my fee, and then I cancel the card in 3 months:

My points posted in 2 days after I met spend. My bill is still not due (soon).
I still have same questions, if someone can help me:

Thank you.

kumaranik Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm

$75 credit for $2000 spend

I asked for cancellation, the rep tried to sell the "new" benefits. When he read out closing T&C I explicitly asked for something that could help me with annual fees. So he gave the "$75 credit for $2000 spend in next 3 months, which you will get easily given your spending patterns" offer. I asked for points offer multiple time to no avail. Accepted, to make sure I get 5000 points for $5000 spend promotion I had registered last month.

Last year's spend ~15K.

Star_Guy Apr 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Just called Amex retention line, Was offered 10,000 star points to keep my business account open .

paradox Apr 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Is the direct phone number in the wiki for personal SPG only, or both personal and business SPG?

ned Apr 24, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Star_Guy (Post 29676448)
Just called Amex retention line, Was offered 10,000 star points to keep my business account open .

How much spend did you have on the business card?

MD/DC Flyer Apr 24, 2018 11:31 am

With the looming changes I thought I'll try my luck again. It was a very interesting call. After going through the benefits of the card, the representative walk through my entire history with the card (including the sign up bonus, the retention bonus I've got last year, how many times I called this year to ask about retention and when) and then continue to talk about all the other cards I have with Amex and how much I use each card.

In the end I've got nothing, but it was an interesting experience.