FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card-pre-may-2019-a.html)

flyingstudent Aug 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Just sent a SM and got a 3k retention offer. Annual spent was ~$20k.

brahms77 Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm

What do you guys mention in the email? Mention the card number?

At any rate, what is the exact SM address? Please PM if any of you know! Thanks!

flyingstudent Aug 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by brahms77 (Post 16950455)
What do you guys mention in the email? Mention the card number?

At any rate, what is the exact SM address? Please PM if any of you know! Thanks!

Click Contact Us top right
Under Online section, click email us a secure message.
Click Compose a mesage

dinise Aug 18, 2011 7:59 pm

delete

bradcc Aug 19, 2011 3:28 pm

SM'ed and got 3k points. Fee waiver was denied. However, happy with 3k :)

whackyjacky Aug 19, 2011 4:38 pm

SMed 4 times. Sent links from various threads and blogs showing they were giving them out. Denied each and every time. 10 year cardmember. Spend $50K +. wj

Jesperss Aug 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky (Post 16956174)
Sent links from various threads and blogs showing they were giving them out.

really? REALLY?

you're supposed to call

Happy Aug 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss (Post 16956321)
really? REALLY?

you're supposed to call

We got $50 statement credits via SM requests.

Same wordings on both requests - just asked if AMEX would help out now the fee has gone up to $65.

one got $50 the other got 2K pts. Replied with request to either $50 or up the 2K to 5K, got $50 and told the 2K would stay.

Though I agree if after first 2 failed SMs then subsequent tries should be calling.

dinise Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY (Post 16614415)
I called about a month ago. I simply ask if they can do any goodwill point credit for me because I been a long (13 years) AMEX customer and I feel that the raise of the anual fee by $20 should somehow be aknowledged. I never demand points, just try to be nice and ask politely. I received 3,000 points this time.

I do this for Hilton as well, I usually get 5,000 points per year.

I actually do this with almost all of my cards, about once a year and I'd say all AMEX branded cards give you additional points/miles and most Chase cards do that as well. It never hurts to try, and usually it takes 3-4 minutes of phone time.

Cheers,

PedroNY

I want to thank the Op for posting this thread and everyone that contributed to it. I went the SM route and used PedroNY strategy (thank you by the way) by just being very polite and stated that I had been a member for 19 years and they gave me 5000 points. Extremely generous and my husband was a member for 25 years and he got 3,000 pts. Amazing.

spermwhale Aug 23, 2011 6:14 am

5K Retention Bonus

I sent a SM noting that the annual fee had increased and asked if they could waive the fee and/or offer any bonus points. I noted that I had $ 36 K spend on the card in one year.

I was denied fee waiver but was given 5 K SPG points. I'm rather pleased and will keep the card which I do really like.

Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.

jspector Aug 23, 2011 2:57 pm

I called them directly and went to retention department... talked for 5mins about card benefits, how much I like it, etc. I kept going to the "I like the card, but it's my only card with an annual fee, and it is quite high" etc etc. Got 4K points from it.

chavjs Aug 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by jspector (Post 16980214)
I called them directly and went to retention department... talked for 5mins about card benefits, how much I like it, etc. I kept going to the "I like the card, but it's my only card with an annual fee, and it is quite high" etc etc. Got 4K points from it.

just call cs they gave me 4 k

ccheng64 Aug 25, 2011 4:08 pm

My annual fee will come in early Sep. I sent SM to request annual fee deduction and got denied. I just called and got $20 + 3000 point. I spend 45k+ annually. The customer service agent said she cannot do this every year. She also said if I want a fee free card next year then she can transfer me to another Amex card like the Hilton one, which I already have.

amrom Aug 26, 2011 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ccheng64 (Post 16995109)
She also said if I want a fee free card next year then she can transfer me to another Amex card like the Hilton one, which I already have.

Can someone point out to me which card is this, Hilton, fee free?

amrom Aug 26, 2011 6:10 am

Originally Posted by amrom (Post 16998193)
Can someone point out to me which card is this, Hilton, fee free?

Oh ok I found it,
Question is, would AMEX give me the welcome bonus of 20k points if I convert the SPG toThis one?