FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1214916-annual-fee-retention-bonus-starwood-amex-card.html)

RogerD408 Sep 3, 11 8:36 am

Originally Posted by gambler01 (Post 17044628)
You held the SPG Amex for over 10 years, earning a minimum of $600 worth of points each year, have been paying an annual fee, and now cancelled because they wont offer you $40 worth of points? Hmmmm

How do you spell "CHURN"? Go away for a short while and then sign up for new card promos... Many do it, and the CCs know it.

mckelveymv Sep 3, 11 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 17047794)
How do you spell "CHURN"? Go away for a short while and then sign up for new card promos... Many do it, and the CCs know it.

Either you didnt read the post or didnt understand it. He said he held the SPG AMEX since launch -- that's not C-H-U-R-N-I-N-G. lol

RogerD408 Sep 4, 11 7:47 am

Originally Posted by gambler01 (Post 17050469)
Either you didnt read the post or didnt understand it. He said he held the SPG AMEX since launch -- that's not C-H-U-R-N-I-N-G. lol

I did read and understood fully. Sometimes very loyal customers are forced into changing their habits when customer service does not live up to expectations. Some may just leave and stay gone, some may look how to take advantage of new promotions that they have been denied because the company thinks they have a lock on your business and don't need to do anything to keep you. Whether new or long-term, people like to be appreciated for their business.

mckelveymv Sep 6, 11 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 17052090)
I did read and understood fully. Sometimes very loyal customers are forced into changing their habits when customer service does not live up to expectations.

Sorry, but still doesnt appear to be true. My original post pointed out that here is a loyal customer -- who probably loved the SPG card -- who apparently walked away because he wasnt offered something that isnt in the agreement at all. AMEX didnt fail the customer and didnt "force" the customer from doing anything.

RogerD408 Sep 8, 11 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gambler01 (Post 17065161)
Sorry, but still doesnt appear to be true. My original post pointed out that here is a loyal customer -- who probably loved the SPG card -- who apparently walked away because he wasnt offered something that isnt in the agreement at all. AMEX didnt fail the customer and didnt "force" the customer from doing anything.

... maybe in your view. And you are entitled to your opinion.

I do get ticked with companies that are willing to throw bones to get new customers but don't think they need to do anything to keep existing ones. I do believe there have been studies where it is cheaper to keep customers than entice new customers.

I am not one that jumps ship with the first service failure. I expect failures to occur. It's how they handle them that shows me if I should stay with them. There are postings here where AMEX has been all over the board, from very generous offers to nothing at all. Most all my personal experiences with AMEX have been good and as long as the needle continues to point towards good, I will stay. Everyone gets to make their own decision.

Globehopper Sep 10, 11 12:33 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 17075673)
... maybe in your view. And you are entitled to your opinion.

I do get ticked with companies that are willing to throw bones to get new customers but don't think they need to do anything to keep existing ones. I do believe there have been studies where it is cheaper to keep customers than entice new customers.

I am not one that jumps ship with the first service failure. I expect failures to occur. It's how they handle them that shows me if I should stay with them. There are postings here where AMEX has been all over the board, from very generous offers to nothing at all. Most all my personal experiences with AMEX have been good and as long as the needle continues to point towards good, I will stay. Everyone gets to make their own decision.

Agree completely. With every word. ^

safigan Sep 12, 11 9:14 am

Called. Selected "cancel a card." Asked for some sort of retention bonus given that I've had the card for 10 years. Denied. Canceled the card.

RIP SPG.

Jesperss Oct 28, 11 5:54 pm

I called, said the $65 was too much. Offered $40, asked for points, got 4000 points instead.

Not bad ^

lxjenkins Nov 18, 11 3:36 pm

Called and was told that annual fee could not be waived or credited. Was only offered 1000 points.

mahasamatman Nov 18, 11 4:21 pm

I was offered nothing. No fee remission, no points.

trevdog Dec 6, 11 9:57 am

Amex member since 06. '10 spend: $23 k; '11 spend (so far) $17 k.

Called 800-AXP-1000, "cancel card," got CSR--broken record routine: "so sorry cannot negotiate." Courteously asked for retentions, hold for 1 min. Chatted with her from about 8:00 - 13:00 of call, some of broken record, discuss benefits, "fee goes to pay for these, cannot offer credit or cards." I was about ready to end call, she said "normally cannot negotiate fees but let me check on your acct." On hold for ~ 3 mins. "Sorry, told could only credit in instance of an Amex mistake."

Just sent an SM. Will update if successful.

trevdog Dec 7, 11 7:00 pm

Received SM back today, about 24 hrs later. Credited acct $25 as "goodwill credit." I had asked specifically for either $25 credit against annual fee, or 3,000 starpoints. Good luck.

pongben Jan 29, 12 8:16 pm

Annual fee just hit my statement, called in and was offered $5k points or $50 statement credit. I took the 5k points. Had my card for 1 year and put $108k of spend on it.

bluskey Mar 13, 12 2:56 pm

My experience was consistent with the previous post. I spend about half as much ($50-60k/year) and was offered choice of 4k points or $40. I took the points.

Thanks to all on this thread...it really guided me on how to speak with the rep.

iwpingmu Mar 13, 12 3:11 pm

a year ago, I called to cancel the card and was offered nothing, then went ahead to cancell. This year I re-applied the SPG card and was immediately approved, and was awarded 25K bonus pts even I have not paid my first statement.