Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

La Concha Renaissance Resort, San Juan, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

La Concha Renaissance Resort, San Juan, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone stayed here of late? I'm curious to know what the property is doing post-8/18 as I need to be in Puerto Rico in the spring.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I found the common areas, pools and beach nice enough.

The room was spacious and with a wonderful view, but the decor is depressing.

The first room I was in was in a bad state of maintenance and had various problems with the aircon and the safe, after which I was moved to a suite and refunded one night in points. The suite was huge but equally lacking in style.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I stayed in December. It was the least-bad Marriott option in PR so far (otherwise, the AC and Courtyard Miramar are nice). Haven't tried the St. Regis or Ritz or Four Points Caguas yet, Also will eventually try the W Vieques and the various other Courtyards.

Absolutely avoid: Marriott itself (horrible on every possible axis). Not a big fan of the Sheraton OSJ (although it's in OSJ), and meh on the Sheraton Convention Center (nice lounge, otherwise meh).

Upsides of La Concha are location, lots of on-island big parties there, great restaurant, beautiful common areas. I got upgraded to a suite in the tower, was large and comfortable but definitely not luxurious, but perfectly nice, and a great beach view. La Concha or the Condado Vanderbilt are pretty much where I'd recommend out of town visitors to stay (I live here now...)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I stayed in December. It was the least-bad Marriott option in PR so far (otherwise, the AC and Courtyard Miramar are nice). Haven't tried the St. Regis or Ritz or Four Points Caguas yet, Also will eventually try the W Vieques and the various other Courtyards.

Absolutely avoid: Marriott itself (horrible on every possible axis). Not a big fan of the Sheraton OSJ (although it's in OSJ), and meh on the Sheraton Convention Center (nice lounge, otherwise meh).

Upsides of La Concha are location, lots of on-island big parties there, great restaurant, beautiful common areas. I got upgraded to a suite in the tower, was large and comfortable but definitely not luxurious, but perfectly nice, and a great beach view. La Concha or the Condado Vanderbilt are pretty much where I'd recommend out of town visitors to stay (I live here now...)
The Ritz-Carlton won't be open until July or August.

Old San Juan Sheraton was okay for a business hotel pre-hurricane, but the pool was pathetically small and the food-and-beverage was horrendous. When I was there it was mostly business travelers and cruise ship passengers. I couldn't imagine staying there for a vacation because after a day or two you want a beach or at least a good rooftop pool.

The AC has an excellent rooftop pool. I stayed there in October. Who needs the beach with their pool.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
How do they (Ren La Concha) treat plats (now titaniums)?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
How do they (Ren La Concha) treat plats (now titaniums)?
Was actually wondering the same thing as I'm contemplating a weekend here. Any recent reports for Titanium or Ambassador status treatment? Specifically wondering what the free breakfast welcome amenity will include.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Was actually wondering the same thing as I'm contemplating a weekend here. Any recent reports for Titanium or Ambassador status treatment? Specifically wondering what the free breakfast welcome amenity will include.
I wouldn't expect much. I received a proposal from this property in response to an event RFP and the sales manager openly admitted that as a "resort we don't have to follow all of Marriott's requirements."
CruiserCLE likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reviews? I’d heard they were renovating. Is that complete?

TIA
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Any recent reviews? I’d heard they were renovating. Is that complete?

TIA
They definitely were not renovating anything when I was there at the end of Jan.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If someone stays there, please post re: the breakfast situation so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If someone stays there, please post re: the breakfast situation so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers.
As a Titanium I received free continental breakfast as a welcome amenity. According to T&C's, since this location doesn't have a lounge, I should have received this benefit in addition to a welcome amenity. Front desk didn't want to hear it.

It's a lovely property, but the staff is horrible here, especially the front desk people.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cranrob
As a Titanium I received free continental breakfast as a welcome amenity. According to T&C's, since this location doesn't have a lounge, I should have received this benefit in addition to a welcome amenity. Front desk didn't want to hear it.

It's a lovely property, but the staff is horrible here, especially the front desk people.
No. You are partially right and partially wrong. This is a resort-designated property. As such, no lounge.

If Marriott's Puerto Rico properties are considered outside the United States then you should have received a choice between 1,000 points, a food-and-beverage amenity, or daily breakfast in the restaurant for you and one person. If, however, they are considered part of the United States, which legally and politically they are, then you were supposed to get a choice between 1,000 points and breakfast.

The breakfast is supposed to be "breakfast," not a continental breakfast. So, a "continental breakfast" is noncompliant.
cranrob likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Wife and I got free continental breakfast and a couple bottles of water. Used SNA to upgrade room and got a suite with a hot tub on patio, it was pretty awesome, only issue it was only on the 3rd floor, so not exactly private from the beach area.

Prices are crazy high for everything, although there's a small smoke shop across the street or a CVS down a few block where I bought liquor and beer for much cheaper then the $14/drink at hotel. OR, the gift shop sold beers for $4 vs $9 at pool, can just walk out with them.

Overall, for 35k points/night I ended up with a $600/night room during spring break time so it was definitely worth it.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
They definitely were not renovating anything when I was there at the end of Jan.
Renovations were not happening Friday from 3pm until Monday morning (3/9 weekend). We had late check out Monday and they could be heard starting around 9am but it wasn't anything too noticeable.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JTE458
Wife and I got free continental breakfast and a couple bottles of water. Used SNA to upgrade room and got a suite with a hot tub on patio, it was pretty awesome, only issue it was only on the 3rd floor, so not exactly private from the beach area.

Prices are crazy high for everything, although there's a small smoke shop across the street or a CVS down a few block where I bought liquor and beer for much cheaper then the $14/drink at hotel. OR, the gift shop sold beers for $4 vs $9 at pool, can just walk out with them.

Overall, for 35k points/night I ended up with a $600/night room during spring break time so it was definitely worth it.
That's pathetic elite recognition. You think they could have at least gave you a fruit plate since you had a suite. And, it's not a compliant breakfast.

It's amazing how people will settle for a continental breakfast and some water. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.