Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 9:59 pm

Unhappy Friends/Family Rate Increase?

I was planning for some vacation time in this Fall, and I noticed all of the rates have increased.
Did something change that I'm not aware of? For the last number of years of using my Associate Rate for vacations, I'd get 1-night rooms from $39-$49. Now I'm seeing those same rooms going for $100+ starting this September and onwards (still cheap in August). What happened? Any chance these will lower as the date approaches?

Last edited by bdschobel; May 13, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: removed rate code
Old May 12, 2018, 10:58 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Neem
I was planning for some vacation time in this Fall, and I noticed all of the rates have increased.
Did something change that I'm not aware of? For the last number of years of using my Associate Rate for vacations, I'd get 1-night rooms from $39-$49. Now I'm seeing those same rooms going for $100+ starting this September and onwards (still cheap in August). What happened? Any chance these will lower as the date approaches?
Maybe the rate codes are not loaded into the system?..

Last edited by bdschobel; May 13, 2018 at 10:19 am Reason: edited quote
Old May 13, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by t1c
What do you mean by this? I thought it was a little weird/concerning how every hotel in a number of cities have the prices I'm used to up to August 2018, but they all increase to a price I've never seen in September 2018.

Last edited by Neem; May 17, 2018 at 1:43 am
Old May 13, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by t1c
Since OP is searching using Friends and Family rates, they need to be loaded before the property would be found in a search. Now if they were just doing a generic search and not finding those rates available, then it would be a situation where the rates weren't loaded. But not what the OP said.

Rate changes can happen at any time. Something had to have happened for them to raise them so much. Maybe the merged operation is not willing to be as generous with employees?

Last edited by bdschobel; May 13, 2018 at 10:19 am Reason: removed rate code
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 am

From my experience, it always based on inventory and the property. Perhaps the property sees a lot of guests using Friends and Family rates, but instead of blocking out the calendar entirely they decide to make it available close to the standard room rate, so they can still make money.

Last edited by bdschobel; May 13, 2018 at 10:20 am Reason: removed rate codes
Old May 13, 2018, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My guess is rates are probably based on inventory. If a property is fully booked, family & friends rate might be higher than when it's not fully booked. Also, a reminder (since FT is open to google search) if you (generic you) use a family & friends rate, you still need the form to present at check-in or you'll get charged rack rate.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The hotels might be setting these rates high now because they don't know how full the property will be several months in the future. They could be planning to lower these rates in at some point in the future if the hotel doesn't seem to be so full. The merger might make it harder than usual to predict future occupancy for revenue management purposes. Why should the hotel commit to reservations under $50 now when they might be able to fill the property with the last few rooms at rack rate in several months.
BTW, it might be interesting to compare Marriott's legacy policy on this to what Starwood has been doing regarding such rates. My impression from a few Starwood employee comments is that they would book their special courtesy employee rates much closer to their proposed arrival rates and get rates that reflect the hotel's costs for housekeeping, utilities, etc. and not much else, so indeed the rates were very low, IIRC depending of course on either the hotel's category or some other measure of how expensive the place is. I'm not sure how friends and family were treated under this Starwood program for employees.

Last edited by bdschobel; May 13, 2018 at 10:21 am Reason: removed rate code
Old May 13, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The hotels might be setting these rates high now because they don't know how full the property will be several months in the future. They could be planning to lower these rates in at some point in the future if the hotel doesn't seem to be so full. The merger might make it harder than usual to predict future occupancy for revenue management purposes. Why should the hotel commit to reservations under $50 now when they might be able to fill the property with the last few rooms at rack rate in several months.
Sometimes the employee perk brings more than just revenue. I don't think Marriott properties are known for over-paying staff.

Last edited by bdschobel; May 13, 2018 at 10:21 am
Old May 13, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Rate changes can happen at any time. Something had to have happened for them to raise them so much. Maybe the merged operation is not willing to be as generous with employees?
That's what I'm fearing. I've experimentally searched for Marriott properties throughout the country now, and the prices increase nationwide. Rooms are cheap in August, and they all increase substantially in September. Makes me think it's less of a "as the date approaches thing" and more of a fiscal year change.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Neem
I have never seen the Associate rate available months in advance. Also, when looking very far in advance, I routinely find the Friends & Family rate to be higher than the Member rate. Things tend to settle down a few weeks ahead of time.

Another thing to note is that you'll have better luck finding the rate if you search for individual nights even when considering a multi-night stay.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by nobodyherebutme; May 16, 2018 at 4:42 am
Old May 17, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I have never seen the Associate rate available months in advance. Also, when looking very far in advance, I routinely find the Friends & Family rate to be higher than the Member rate. Things tend to settle down a few weeks ahead of time.

Another thing to note is that you'll have better luck finding the rate if you search for individual nights even when considering a multi-night stay.
Other associates have booked 6+ months in advance and have mentioned noticing this price increase recently too. I also have a few cheap nights planned in July and August that I booked last month. It's something I've been doing for 4+ years now. In my experience, prices actually have been increasing the closer it is to the date.

I'm also using the "flexible dates" option which shows individual prices for 1-night stays for the entire month. If you look at all the rates of Associate Prices from now until August, you'll see the usual $39 or $49 rates. Starting in September, the lowest you'll find is $89 everywhere.

The timing of everything just seems too suspect considering the recent merger. Really a shame that it looks like they're essentially ending Associate Rates now.

EDIT: Doing a little more playing around. It looks like starting in September, they are doing away with the Associates Rate, and increasing the price to be the same as the Friends/Family Rate. Because if you look at the Friends/Family Rate right now through August, you'll get the $80-$100 price range. With Associates right now through August, you'll get the $40-$50 price range. Starting in September, they are all $80-$100 regardless of which code you use.
Again, a huge shame.

Last edited by Neem; May 17, 2018 at 1:56 am
Old May 27, 2018, 11:13 pm

Bumping this in case anyone else heard anything from their management. Either Associates Rate is gone, or there is going to be a new code to input?
Old May 27, 2018, 11:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I see some properties that are drastically cheaper with the Associate rate than the Friends rate all the way out in December. Nothing really strange to me there, but I do agree that there isn't much "good" Associate rate availability more than a few months out.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I see some properties that are drastically cheaper with the Associate rate than the Friends rate all the way out in December. Nothing really strange to me there, but I do agree that there isn't much "good" Associate rate availability more than a few months out.
But in those cases like in December, it's not that the Associate Rate is "cheaper" but the Friends rate is more expensive. Starting in September and following every other month possible (up to May 2019), there are no more <$60 rooms for Associates.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:38 pm

in my experience, the associate rate is usually only available 3 months out. After 3 months out, it usually shows the friends and family rate.

Can you give me dates/cities so I can see the rates you're seeing?

I checked the MGS and there is nothing there about the associate rate changing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.