Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by spgplat21
A family member of mine recently moved over from to a Marriott property from a Hilton property so I've been exploring these rates recently. We had some great luck with amazing Hilton family and friend rates over the years, but the Marriott rates seem pretty terrible across the board (especially considering they come with no benefits).
I don't know what the Hilton rates are, but almost every "real" associate rate available is going to be an excellent deal. The only tricky thing is that they may not be available up until a couple to a few weeks before the stay, if ever. About 1/3rd of the BAR is a typical price for an associate rate. Even the friends rate can be a good deal at times - but more often than not, a prepaid rate is going to better than the friends rate (which is refundable).

Typically, the more expensive the hotel, the better the discount. For example, a single night in mid october at the RC Half Moon Bay is $1k for the BAR. Associate rate is $159 and the friends rate is $520. Actually, the associate rate pretty much never goes above $200. $160ish is about the max that I would normally see for a real associate rate. Sometimes, there are "bugs" where the associate rate is actually higher than a normal rate.

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Any guest on any rate can be "walked" to another hotel (Marriott or SOB) if the hotel is oversold. The difference is that they might be more likely to walk an employee, or somebody on an employee or F&F rate than a paying customer, and certainly than a paying customer with status. That said, even if you've got triple-Plutonium status, if you show up at 11 pm and every room is already full, you're going to be walked.
True, but at the same time, I doubt many "true" associate rates are being offered during times with high occupancy.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:06 pm

I like to know when we choose Marriott friends and family rate , do we need to make the booking through our friend in the hotel or we can do the booking by using promo code MMF in Bonvoy app? I understood that the friend must send the authorisation form by mail to hotel or to us so that we must present it at the time of check in. Can we use this authorisation form to other property with in 60 days time or each property the concerned employee must send new authorisation form? Is there any limit in which an employee can authorise it, for eg 3 times in a year etc?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:55 pm

Book it yourself using the code and don't bother with having the form sent to the hotel. Just have a printout with you at check in. Can be used multiple times at different properties. IME, there is no problem getting additional forms so that you have no "lapse in coverage."
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:23 pm

Thank you so much , it's mentioned in the app T & C these rates aren't eligible for points and miles.

Last edited by bdschobel; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:49 pm Reason: removed proprietary code
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:07 pm

The Nerve of some people and that is why i like the feature that we are now able to actually disable the form with the click of a button...Simple right!!!. we check these forms at my property and always have...there is a website for that too...
People need to stop looking for a hand out and possibly getting someone fired for there actions...
they need to got to Hotwire or Booking.com...ijs
MSPeconomist and luxveritate like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:57 pm

Huge news if it works for those eligible for employee and friends rates, who aren’t actually employees. The wording isn’t quite as definitive as it could be.

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...m=BoardingArea
svo242 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Huge news if it works for those eligible for employee and friends rates, who aren’t actually employees. The wording isn’t quite as definitive as it could be.

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...m=BoardingArea
Looks like it will! That would be a game-changer.

"Marriott has announced that starting November 25, 2019, employees rates well as those under the friends/family discount will be eligible to earn night credits toward elite status, as well as receive elite benefits on their stays assuming they have status."
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
Looks like it will! That would be a game-changer.

"Marriott has announced that starting November 25, 2019, employees rates well as those under the friends/family discount will be eligible to earn night credits toward elite status, as well as receive elite benefits on their stays assuming they have status."
Well, further on it says "Starting November 25, 2019, associates will be able to participate in Marriott Bonvoy as earning members on all stays, including on eligible Explore Program and business travel rates."

No mention of non-associates.. Cautiously optimistic here .
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please NO NO NO. Bonvoy already has too many elites chasing too few suites, lounges are too crowded, etc. Let's not give hotels carte blanche to look out for their own who are traveling almost for "free" anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please NO NO NO. Bonvoy already has too many elites chasing too few suites, lounges are too crowded, etc. Let's not give hotels carte blanche to look out for their own who are traveling almost for "free" anyway.
The ship has sailed on this, Marriott has several hundred thousand employees and tapping that market is a no brainer especially when many have spouses and extended families. I suspect the F&F rates may be "adjusted" to take into account earnings and benefits though.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You still have to stay the nights - it isn't that easy.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The ship has sailed on this, Marriott has several hundred thousand employees and tapping that market is a no brainer especially when many have spouses and extended families. I suspect the F&F rates may be "adjusted" to take into account earnings and benefits though.
Maybe the because of the earnings, but up until Aug 2018 (and even still now), a large majority of properties were/are providing benefits.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I love how people are now threatened that Marriott employees on cheaper rates might assault their own elite benefits and perks. As if government employees and the military don't get much cheaper rates, let alone corporate customers don't get much cheaper rates, often at even the most expensive brands. As if AAA hot deals don't do the same thing. As if those constantly working the BRG angle don't get the same thing.

There always have been and always will be those who get better rates for stays.

Elites protecting their turf in this case is just another example of entitlement (I'm entitled to reduced rates and those who already get them, but not any new people!) and selfishness (I deserve reduced rates for myself and my people, but no one else does!).

As if that many Marriott employees will be traveling so often as to achieve Titanium status. Please.

As if anyone with the Bonvoy Brilliant credit card can't achieve Platinum status. Please.

Perhaps we might be more welcoming for Marriott employees to see the benefits and shortcomings of elite status just like the rest of us. That actually might be a big boon for all of us.
dgreen12 and WGretzky like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:35 am

Just checked and see that the T&C has been updated to remove associate and friends rate from the "non-qualifying rate" section, as scheduled. Anybody staying on these rates soon, to report if they are credited properly?

Edit* SNAs are now applicable to friends and associate rates. They were previously not.

Last edited by GoSh4rks; Nov 26, 2019 at 1:46 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I’m at Marriott Sky City in HKG with my family enroute home from Saigon on the CX New Years Eve fare. We arrived at 9:30am today so i called ahead to see if I could broker an early check in on an Explore rate (which usually requires paying something). They were super nice and said “you and your family are able to relax and have breakfast in the lounge as Platinum Lifetime guests.” The room was available when we arrived too. Now i see this thread and it makes sense.

Love this change! I have a family member that owns both Hilton and Marriott properties and we had been favoring Hilton friends rates due to elite benefits applying at Hilton.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Just checked and see that the T&C has been updated to remove associate and friends rate from the "non-qualifying rate" section, as scheduled. Anybody staying on these rates soon, to report if they are credited properly?

Edit* SNAs are now applicable to friends and associate rates. They were previously not.

I stayed at an Aloft on 11/27 on an associate rate. Waited and waited for the elite night to post but no dice. As soon as the 10 day window opened up I filled out a missing stay form online. I got an email from Marriott about 4 days later saying “our records indicate you stayed using an associate rate, associate rates do not qualify to earn elite night credit blah blah blah”. I responded to the email that they were indeed eligible as of 11/25 and I got an email back a few days ago saying they have added the night and the points. I feel like it might be a bit of a learning curve from the outset.

Last edited by bdschobel; Dec 14, 2019 at 4:32 am Reason: removed proprietary code

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.