Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Old Aug 3, 17, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the input.

I think we're all in agreement (well, perhaps other than the OP ) that he should let the associate know of the 2nd use, that it's not quite kosher to keep that hidden.

It's rare for me to use family & friend rate, but when I did I let the Marriott friend know when I would like to use it & for which hotel(s). One time it was for a single night stay. The other time I had a few stays during a holiday/vacation (he knew which properties) & he told me to just make copies of the (now old) form to give to the properties, since the form was valid for 60 days past issuance. Obviously he & I trusted each other, & he knew I wouldn't abuse the form.

And for clarification - the family friends rate isn't always less expensive than other rates. Depends on property, when you booked, other rates, dates, etc.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 17, 6:32 pm

What actually happens with those forms after accepted?
Old Aug 14, 17, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23 View Post
What actually happens with those forms after accepted?
Why would you care? Once you turn over the form at check-in it's no longer you concern. I'll guess the form gets attached to some form in the back office/accounting.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 17, 9:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Why would you care?
Some people have a natural curiosity. There's no reason to shoot someone else down just because you can't see things their way.
Old Aug 14, 17, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
it's proprietary to begin with

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Some people have a natural curiosity. There's no reason to shoot someone else down just because you can't see things their way.
Old Aug 15, 17, 12:18 pm

I didn't say I didn't see it their way. I said who cares because I can't see the question being in the top 50 of what most elites think about. Shrug. Once it's handed over what the hotel does w/ it is irrelevant to the person who hands it over. My understanding is that the F&F form is kept by the hotel for auditing purposes.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 17, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I didn't say I didn't see it their way. I said who cares because I can't see the question being in the top 50 of what most elites think about. Shrug. Once it's handed over what the hotel does w/ it is irrelevant to the person who hands it over. My understanding is that the F&F form is kept by the hotel for auditing purposes.

Cheers.
I can see someone concerned if the form is going to be returned to the issuing property. Especially if it's been modified/copied for use outside the original request. I know people that make fake company IDs. No property is going to know/question the use. Outfits like MR that uses the company ticker symbol as the rate code is asking for abuse.
Old Aug 15, 17, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PlatPro; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Globalist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Apparently curiosity is not welcome here!
Old Aug 15, 17, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I can see someone concerned if the form is going to be returned to the issuing property. Especially if it's been modified/copied for use outside the original request.
That was actually my first thought when I read the question, but I didn't want to accuse a FTer of an illegal act.

If it was just curiosity that's fine, although not in my top 50 questions (but that's just me).

But we had another FTer who posted recently asking a similar question who was trying to do an end-run around the employee who offered him the cert & tried to use it for additional uses & didn't want to tell the employee who offered the cert he was going to use it for multiple uses vs. the one the employee thought he was offering it for.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 17, 9:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PlatPro; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Globalist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
That was actually my first thought when I read the question, but I didn't want to accuse a FTer of an illegal act.

If it was just curiosity that's fine, although not in my top 50 questions (but that's just me).

But we had another FTer who posted recently asking a similar question who was trying to do an end-run around the employee who offered him the cert & tried to use it for additional uses & didn't want to tell the employee who offered the cert he was going to use it for multiple uses vs. the one the employee thought he was offering it for.

Cheers.
Since you later responded "My understanding is that the F&F form is kept by the hotel for auditing purposes" why didn't you provide that as your initial response to OP?

Just because it's not in your top 50 questions is no reason to be harsh in your response with a "Why would you care?" statement (but that's just me).
Old Aug 15, 17, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Possibly because I gave Ski that info privately after I read her first post on the issue as the info is IMO, and based upon my source, proprietary (but I did not request SkiA to keep my info proprietary).

Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
Since you later responded "My understanding is that the F&F form is kept by the hotel for auditing purposes" why didn't you provide that as your initial response to OP?

Last edited by Srisarin; Aug 15, 17 at 10:19 pm
Old Aug 16, 17, 7:32 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Back in my CY FD days, had a guy show up with a photocopy of a F&F form. I could see the copier lines where he had covered date and property info so he could re-use it. Wouldn't give him the rate and it almost came to calling the cops. He finally settled down and I checked him in on a travel magazine coupon rate that was lying on the counter, even though he was "going to have my job". (He was welcome to it) put him in my beloved room 319, the one between the elevator and the ice machine...
Old Sep 3, 17, 8:21 am

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I would like to get some clarification . I'm currently staying at JW MOA using Friends and Family rate. I was told I would not received my platinum perks. I understand the rate excludes me from earning points/stay credit. They tolde I would not get lounge access, which I was really hoping for (need some oatmeal and banana for toddler mainly ). After insisting that the rate detail did not state that, the FD said his manage will give me access as a courtesy. Anyone know the official answer regarding this? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 3, 17, 9:24 am

My understanding is that 'elite recognition benefits' (ie, free i-net, lounge access, potential upgrade) apply, but no points/night credit on FF stays.

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 17, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Plats are eligible for PAG gift except for points.
IMO a stupid exception but it's written in the fine print.

My understanding is that 'elite recognition benefits' (ie, free i-net, lounge access, potential upgrade) apply, but no points/night credit on FF stays.

Cheers.

Search this Thread