Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palacio De Santa Paula, Autograph Collection - Granada, Spain [Master Thread]

Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tomphot
In-room safe: The safe was different from any hotel safe I’ve ever encountered. The basic idea is that you set the code once and then turn a lever every time you want to lock the safe. Typing in the code UNLOCKS the safe. So if you are in the habit of typing in a code to lock the safe, and retyping it to unlock, what you will really be doing is leaving it unlocked every time.

Parking: They have valet parking. You have to follow the instructions on their website to get to the hotel - they are on a restricted road that's for taxis/buses only that direction...but according to them you're allowed to drive the half block to the hotel. Then they'll park it for you. It was 21.50 euros per night.

Breakfast: Continental which included juice, coffee, fruit, breads, yogurt, custard, and cheeses and cured meats. There were small (4-7 euros) upcharges if you wanted something cooked from the kitchen but we were fine with the continental choices. It was a buffet – you tell the waiter of your hot choices.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First

Stayed at the AC Granada a few nights ago (booked AC´s last year for April drive thru Spain/Portugal after hearing they would JV with Marriott by the end of last year but it won´t officially happen until 01 May)

Location next to main bus station just off the main ¨interstate¨ for those driving (like I was from Madrid). Frontage road under construction so alot of noise. Air conditioning not available until 15 April even though it was nearly 30C/88F - and with construction noise sleeping hot and noisey - I think this is something Marriott needs to address as a specific date should not determine when the AC is available, but certainly other factors like the afternoon temperature and/or outside noise should be the determinative factor. Room described as king bedded but in reality only US double. 32" plasma TV was 18 inch tube. Wi-Fi provided in common area but yahoo e-mail site blocked.

No upgrades, breakfast for plats, etc as still not officially tied to Marriott (no idea of what perks, if any once officially tied as they may become like Courtyards).

Strange golf ball shaped/sized soap.

Free mini-bar (don´t know if that includes refills as we were there only 1 night)

Last edited by BKKLEE; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:18 am
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Stayed at the AC Granada a few nights ago (booked AC´s last year for April drive thru Spain/Portugal after hearing they would JV with Marriott by the end of last year but it won´t officially happen until 01 May)

Location next to main bus station just off the main ¨interstate¨ for those driving (like I was from Madrid). Frontage road under construction so alot of noise. Air conditioning not available until 15 April even though it was nearly
30C/88F - and with construction noise sleeping hot and noisey. Room described as king bedded but in reality only US double. 32" plasma TV was 18 inch tube. Wi-Fi provided in common area but yahoo e-mail site blocked.

No upgrades, breakfast for plats, etc as still not officially tied to Marriott (no idea of what perks, if any once officially tied as they may become like Courtyards).

Free mini-bar (don´t know if that includes refills as we were there only 1 night)
Thanks for the report, BK!

If you are visiting any other AC properties -- as I seem to recall you saying so -- could you inquire when they expect to be incorporated into Marriot Rewards?

I am sure that there are a number of people besides myself who would love to know if the press releases' statements re a May launch date are accurate!

Thanks,

NJ
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

new notice posted

new notice posted:

Please Note – The free breakfast Elite benefit does not apply at this hotel for Silver/Gold/Platinum Rewards Members redeeming points.

then again, I wasn't aware of this benefit being extended to silver members

Sharon - you might want to note this in your sticky (and, checking a few other ACs that are now in Autograph Collection provides the same disclaimer)

Last edited by BKKLEE; Aug 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the catch on that. I'll update the exec lounge sticky & the main Autograph Collection thread.

Seems to be a Spain thing, as when I checked Italy the disclaimer wasn't there.

There's a new Autograph property opening in Barcelona in September. It doesn't have that disclaimer (yet). It does mention that there's free wifi throughout, which would be of use to Silver & non-Marriott members. I'll start a new thread on that property.

PS - to the Spain properties for excluding the (limited to begin w/) bennies on award stays.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:29 am

I noticed on the website for this property (the thread property - AC Palacio De Santa Paula, Autograph Collection) that it offers free wifi throughout the communal/public areas.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

at all the ACs we stayed at in Spain/Portugal (14-total) they all had wi-fi in the lobby area provided to all guests (just ask FD for password) w/o charge......

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I noticed on the website for this property (the thread property - AC Palacio De Santa Paula, Autograph Collection) that it offers free wifi throughout the communal/public areas.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
at all the ACs we stayed at in Spain/Portugal (14-total) they all had wi-fi in the lobby area provided to all guests (just ask FD for password) w/o charge......
I'm going with what the websites say. If they mention free internet in the communal areas, I mention it. But if the websites don't mention it then I'm not doing so.

I'm not making the assumption that what was the case is still the case. I'm depending on either the websites when I checked today, or recent reports by FTers.

Your post pointing out that brekkie is no longer free on award stays is a case in point of things change, so I don't think we can make assumptions about the present based on the past.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I just had a pleasant two-night stay at this property:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Last edited by JOUY31; Sep 9, 2012 at 7:31 am
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I just had a pleasant two-night stay at this property:
[*]Internet was provided free of charge in the lobby by the hotel as well as in the library -which serves as a bar-, next to the restaurant; Internet in the room is provided by Telefonica under the moviestar brand, at at charge; the pre-paid card, available from the front desk, costs EUR 12 for 24 hours;
If you're a gold/plat -- you can ask at the front desk and they will give you a telefonica card for each night of your stay so that you can have free internet in your room too.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
If anyone is considering staying at this property, I put together a video review on with video of the hotel grounds, and the room that I stayed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OBBOllY9as

This room was in the older part of the hotel.... not sure what the rooms in the "new" building look like.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:21 am

Thanks for the video update! The property looks nice.

And for mentioning that Gold/Plats get free cont'l brekkie with an upcharge of 12.95 for full buffet, as well as free in-room i'net.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My wife and I had a 2 night stay at the AC Granada in mid-October 2012. We were on a multi-week sightseeing trip to Spain. I enjoy reading the comments of others, so I will leave a few comments that I hope may be helpful.

Before our stay, I learned that this hotel offers 2 main types of rooms, a standard room and a superior room. The superior rooms are in the older, converted convent section of the hotel, and I had read that they are nicer. When I searched, however, only the standard rooms were available for MR points. So I booked a paid stay in a superior room.

We were assigned to room 226. This room scored high on the wife-o-meter. I know that she really likes a room when she says that we need to take photos of the room before unpacking. The room had a queen size bed, and was somewhat small-ish (nun size, I suppose), but it had a lovely large private terrace overlooking the central courtyard. The terrace is the converted bell tower of the old convent. Looking at the room map posted on the back of the door of our room, it appeared that there were other superior rooms that may have been a bit larger, but I believe that this is the only room in the convent section that has a terrace. We very much enjoyed the private terrace.

I have Gold status this year. On check-in, we received:
1. free use of the mini-bar in our room (I do not know if this is a Gold benefit or simply a benefit of the superior room) - the mini-bar was stocked with beverages
2. a card for 24 hour free wifi for each night of our stay (we connected to wifi from our room and entered the PIN from the card)
3. a discount on breakfast - we had a choice of either the (very limited) continental breakfast or to upgrade to the full buffet breakfast for 12.96 Euros per person per day. The full buffet normally costs approximately 24 Euro per person per day. We chose the full buffet, and did enjoy the breakfast. But I think we both agreed that we liked the breakfast better at the AC Cordoba (where we had stayed the night prior). For example, in Granada, coffee is ordered and brought from the kitchen. Hot items are also ordered (using the menu on the table)and brought out from the kitchen. In Cordoba, there was a Nespresso machine with 6 different types of coffee pods that we could use ourselves, and we liked that better.

We had a rental car. Parking was approximately 21 Euro per day. We simply parked the car and did our touring on foot.

For the sightseer, I felt that the hotel location was excellent. It was only about a 10 minute walk down Gran Via to reach the Royal Chapel and the Granada Cathedral. Also, public bus number 30 (1.20 Euro per person) to the Alhambra leaves from in front of the Cathedral gate and drops you off near the entrance to the Alhambra. This made getting to and from the Alhambra easy.

About visiting the Alhambra: I had purchased tickets online in advance (which my travel book advised). Upon arrival at the Alhambra, you then need to find a machine to dispense the ticket. I did not see a sign. The machines were located behind the bookstore that is near the entrance to the Alhambra complex. My Spanish is limited, so it took me a moment to realize that one needs to first touch the machine screen to activate it. You can then select English and follow the prompts, inserting the credit card you used to purchase your advance tickets. This did save quite a bit of time because the line to purchase tickets was long and the Alhambra apparently restricts the number of entries per day.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Oct 17, 2012 at 8:25 am
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:51 am

Thanks for the additional info. I'll update the exec lounge stickey w/ the info on the discounted breakfast.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
3. a discount on breakfast - we had a choice of either the (very limited) continental breakfast or to upgrade to the full buffet breakfast for 12.96 Euros per person per day. The full buffet normally costs approximately 24 Euro per person per day.
Did the superior room rate include the continental breakfast or was that provided due to status?

BTW - this property does not provide brekkie to elites when on award stays according to their website.

Thanks for the updated trip report overall, and the tip on the Alhambra ticket machine.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I'll be staying at this hotel next week. Booked a standard room and got an e-mail informing I will be upgraded to a superior room (without me asking/demanding anything).

The rate I booked didn't include breakfast. I will report if I get anything.

Internet in the room is actually more important to me so I really hope I get a wifi code card. But they have done what's required if they offer free internet anywhere. Even in lobby only and free to everyone, guest or not, Plat or not, is sufficient. This hotel does seem to be handing out wifi cards to Plats but not all the AC hotels do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.