Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Arrival Gift (Post Merger) General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Arrival Gift (Post Merger) General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by micke100
I have a question about platinum (premier) arrival gift.
Staying in Stockholm Courtyard.
Offered breakfast when asking if it was complimentary and in the room there was some different chocolates.
Haven’t been asked if I wanted points as an arrival gift.

So... is this ok according to the rules or do I have right to some compensation?
I'm guessing this one was a misunderstanding. You inquired about free breakfast so they assumed that's what you wanted rather than the points. Technically the offering should be "500 points per stay or $10 Food & Beverage credit per day". If they don't offer you the choice, then the compensation is $50US (or local currency equivalent).

Speaking for myself, if they're offering you a free breakfast vs. just a $10US (whatever the local currency equivalent is), I'd go for the breakfast & not try for $50 compensation but that's just me.

Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
no resolution on failed Plat amenity - 2+ months

I stayed (paid revenue stay) at the Courtyard Denver Stapleton in Sept 2018 as a Plat Premium and never received any platinum amenity. I did ask about breakfast at check-in and they told me it wasn't free. Looking at my bill, it has my Marriott number OK. Do I qualify under the "failed elite benefit" system?

I've emailed Marriott customer support once a month now for the past 3 months. At first, they said they'd have the hotel contact me but no reply. My emails to Marriott customer support now go unanswered.

Any recommendations on how to escalate? Do I contact the hotel directly? Am I really entitled to a failed benefit system? I'm an SPG transplant so this is new to me...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by skylane
I stayed (paid revenue stay) at the Courtyard Denver Stapleton in Sept 2018 as a Plat Premium and never received any platinum amenity. I did ask about breakfast at check-in and they told me it wasn't free. Looking at my bill, it has my Marriott number OK. Do I qualify under the "failed elite benefit" system?

I've emailed Marriott customer support once a month now for the past 3 months. At first, they said they'd have the hotel contact me but no reply. My emails to Marriott customer support now go unanswered.

Any recommendations on how to escalate? Do I contact the hotel directly? Am I really entitled to a failed benefit system? I'm an SPG transplant so this is new to me...
How about calling them (Marriott Rewards) and talking to a human, I usually do this and the issues are resolved in a couple of minutes.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:42 pm

You're supposed to claim the guarantee while on property. I believe your welcome amenity should have been a $10 F&B credit.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
A Platinum Elite "amenity" is no longer a benefit at Courtyard.

Prior to August 18, 2018, the Arrival/Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite members at Courtyard in the U.S. was a 400 Rewards points AND a Food or Beverage Amenity (typically an item from the pantry store).

The current (since August 18, 2018) Arrival/Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite members at Courtyard and AC Hotels in the U.S. is a choice of 500 points (that's per stay, not per day) OR $10 USD F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily (that's per day, not per stay).

Complimentary breakfast was not a Platinum Elite benefit at Courtyard prior to August 18, 2018 -- and it still isn't. But the daily $10 USD F&B credit for member + 1 guest can used toward breakfast.
Is an "amenity" the only thing you didn't receive? Were you offered a choice of points or a daily F&B credit at check-in? Did 500 bonus points post your loyalty account?
As has been noted, you need to claim the "Guest Compensation" while you're a guest at the hotel, not afterwards. If you were not offered a choice of Platinum Elite Welcome Gift at check-in, then you would have had a legitimate claim. The compensation at Courtyard is $50 USD. After checking out, it was already too late.

The Loyalty Program Terms and Conditions at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi are daunting, but if you use your browser's search function with search terms such as Platinum Elite Welcome Gift, you can find the applicable parts.

At this point, you could see if 500 points posted as part of the points for your stay. If not, you could make a phone call to Marriott Guest Services. Your time might be worth more than the $4 value of those points, but it would send the message that members are paying attention.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 8, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I checked into a Marriott earlier today and was not offered arrival gift choice of breakfast or F&B credit. I didn't do Mobile Check-in, so I did not pre-select by default. I've tried claiming the $100 guarantee at another property, but was told it'd be sent later by a finance department and then never got anything from it. Any suggestions for going through it this time around? Has anyone been successful recently? I read through the last couple pages of this forum, but didn't have time for all 200 if there's a reference/advice and I missed it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mroseman13
I checked into a Marriott earlier today and was not offered arrival gift choice of breakfast or F&B credit. I didn't do Mobile Check-in, so I did not pre-select by default. I've tried claiming the $100 guarantee at another property, but was told it'd be sent later by a finance department and then never got anything from it. Any suggestions for going through it this time around? Has anyone been successful recently? I read through the last couple pages of this forum, but didn't have time for all 200 if there's a reference/advice and I missed it.
Claim it upon checkout. Show the website; get a manager involved. Once you leave the property, it's a moot point.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Claim it upon checkout. Show the website; get a manager involved. Once you leave the property, it's a moot point.
I would make a claim long before departure.

I'd dial 0 and ask for either the front office manager or the operations manager. After getting the manager, I'd politely say something like, "When I arrived I wasn't given a choice at check-in between the points and food-and-beverage voucher. As you know, it's supposed to be a choice and since I wasn't given a choice I'd like to request the $100 compensation."

Many properties will offer you an alternative. They might offer to comp your stay, which I'd decline because then you wouldn't get an elite night qualifying credit. If they offer points in lieu of $100, I wouldn't settle for less than 40,000 points.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:38 am

I'll just throw this in. I booked into a Marriott hotel Sunday and opted for the fruit. It was there when I arrived, I saw it. However within minutes I was transferred to another and better room. There was no amenity in the new room. So in away I received the amenity without ever actually receiving it
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Marriott Bonvoy elite benefit - 500 or 1000 welcome points per stay

Platinum & Titanium members can chose (among other elite welcome gifts) 500 or 1000 bonus points at check-in (amount depends on hotel brand)

How does this work ?
Do the points get added automatically at check-in, or only after you check out ?
Is there a an automatic email to confirm that they were added ?
Do they appear as a seperate line item in your online statement ?
Who do you contact if they don't get posted to your account ?

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jun 6, 2019 at 1:34 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Platinum & Titanium members can chose (among other elite welcome gifts) 500 or 1000 bonus points at check-in (amount depends on hotel brand)

How does this work ?
Do the points get added automatically at check-in, or only after you check out ?
Is there a an automatic email to confirm that they were added ?
Do they appear as a seperate line item in your online statement ?
Who do you contact if they don't get posted to your account ?
Yes, the Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, and Ambassador Elite varies by brand. At some brands, there are no choices other than points. At some brands, other choices can be better.

This website includes Welcome Gifts by brand: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

If you make a different choice, such as breakfast when that's a Welcome Gift choice, you won't get any points.

There is no automatic email.

Your points will show up online under your Activity on the Marriott Bonvoy account:.

For example, after a stay at a Sheraton, you'll see something like this as a Titanium Elite:

+20,612 Points
(11,207 Base + 8,405 Elite + 1,000 Extra)

Or, after a stay at a Sheraton if you chose breakfast as your Welcome Gift, you'll see something like this as a Titanium Elite:

+19,612 Points
(11,207 Base + 8,405 Elite + 0 Extra)

As with any missing or incorrect points, you can report account problems through Marriott.com.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Thank you for the detailed reply Horace.
How is the accuracy of this benefit ?

When i used to be with IHG hotels (before they removed all benefits) about 20% to 30% of welcome bonus points never posted and had to chased up.
Are Marriott Bonvoy hotels better at posting them, or is the hit or miss ratio similar ?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
There were serious issues during the program merger last August, but otherwise I have seen them post correctly with very few exceptions.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
I probably have about a 90% success rate with the check-in points posting. I still check point totals every once in a while to make sure things posted correctly.
Now don't get me started about the go-green points not posting.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:09 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Horace
Yes, the Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, and Ambassador Elite varies by brand. At some brands, there are no choices other than points. At some brands, other choices can be better.

This website includes Welcome Gifts by brand: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

If you make a different choice, such as breakfast when that's a Welcome Gift choice, you won't get any points.

There is no automatic email.

Your points will show up online under your Activity on the Marriott Bonvoy account:.

For example, after a stay at a Sheraton, you'll see something like this as a Titanium Elite:

+20,612 Points
(11,207 Base + 8,405 Elite + 1,000 Extra)

Or, after a stay at a Sheraton if you chose breakfast as your Welcome Gift, you'll see something like this as a Titanium Elite:

+19,612 Points
(11,207 Base + 8,405 Elite + 0 Extra)

As with any missing or incorrect points, you can report account problems through Marriott.com.
LOL, I have never figured out where my bonus is added into

Looking at my points I always see similar points distribution as you noted, NOT ONCE in extra a number that is increment of 500 or 1000 for my stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.