Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Stayed at the Renaissance near CLT just over a week ago. Checked in pretty late (close to midnight) as I originally had a reservation at the Residence Inn down the street where I had a late check in. Had to check out of the Residence Inn minutes after I arrived due to a faulty A/C unit in my room. Rather than book me at another hotel they simply allowed me to get a last minute refund and left it up to me to find another hotel. I tried logging onto the internet from their lobby but had no coverage so I asked the front desk clerk to see if she could get me a room at the Renaissance down the road which they did. I checked into the Renaissance and the next morning I realized that they never offered me my Platinum Arrival gift. I called the front desk and the lady I spoke with was pretty rude and acted like it was my fault. Made me feel like I needed to apologize for being a guest. She did agree to add the points to my account. A few days later I remembered about the guarantee and the $100 I should have received for the Hotel not offering me the gift at check in. I usually don't ask for this but because of the attitude of the front desk when I called I decided to request my $100. I called the hotel on Monday and asked to speak with the manager. I was told to leave a message on his voicemail and he would get back to me. I left a message with my reservation number and details of my stay and their lack of offering me the Platinum Arrival Gift. It's now Saturday and I have yet to hear back from him. On Monday I also filed a complaint with Marriott regarding my having to move in the middle of the night due to the Residence Inn not having a working room and the lack of the welcome gift at the Renaissance. Still waiting to hear back from Marriott on this. Is Marriott trying to get rid of their Lifetime Platinum Members?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Stayed at the Renaissance near CLT just over a week ago. Checked in pretty late (close to midnight) as I originally had a reservation at the Residence Inn down the street where I had a late check in. Had to check out of the Residence Inn minutes after I arrived due to a faulty A/C unit in my room. Rather than book me at another hotel they simply allowed me to get a last minute refund and left it up to me to find another hotel. I tried logging onto the internet from their lobby but had no coverage so I asked the front desk clerk to see if she could get me a room at the Renaissance down the road which they did. I checked into the Renaissance and the next morning I realized that they never offered me my Platinum Arrival gift. I called the front desk and the lady I spoke with was pretty rude and acted like it was my fault. Made me feel like I needed to apologize for being a guest. She did agree to add the points to my account. A few days later I remembered about the guarantee and the $100 I should have received for the Hotel not offering me the gift at check in. I usually don't ask for this but because of the attitude of the front desk when I called I decided to request my $100. I called the hotel on Monday and asked to speak with the manager. I was told to leave a message on his voicemail and he would get back to me. I left a message with my reservation number and details of my stay and their lack of offering me the Platinum Arrival Gift. It's now Saturday and I have yet to hear back from him. On Monday I also filed a complaint with Marriott regarding my having to move in the middle of the night due to the Residence Inn not having a working room and the lack of the welcome gift at the Renaissance. Still waiting to hear back from Marriott on this. Is Marriott trying to get rid of their Lifetime Platinum Members?
Unfortunately, the rules call for the PAG to be requested prior to check out, so don't expect anything (but nice if they do). Most T&Cs have so much wiggle room you can drive a truck through them, such as they only have to offer, they don't have to deliver. I've had several properties put down I asked for points when they never allowed me to choose. But, like you, their attitude usually determines if I'll push for the PAG. Good Luck.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by RogerD408
the rules call for the PAG to be requested prior to check out
This.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
No Plat amenity on reward stays?

I had an award night at a Marriott that posted promptly with no amenity points. It is my recollection that at check-in the clerk confirmed that I wanted the points instead of the food and beverage amenity. However, when I called the hotel just now to track them down I was informed that (after checking with her manager) points are only given for paid stays.

Let it go, or is there a way to pursue this?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
That is total BS, at least for now. But whether its worth the aggravation for 500 points is up to you.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I had an award night at a Marriott that posted promptly with no amenity points. It is my recollection that at check-in the clerk confirmed that I wanted the points instead of the food and beverage amenity. However, when I called the hotel just now to track them down I was informed that (after checking with her manager) points are only given for paid stays.

Let it go, or is there a way to pursue this?
If you can get through to MR cust svc, call & tell them the PAG points didn't post or send an email or fax. Don't even get into the award stay scenario, as the FDC was wrong. MRCS will post the points.

Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks! Was on hold for quite a long time, but once I got through the rep understood what I was asking and posted the points immediately.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you can get through to MR cust svc, call & tell them the PAG points didn't post or send an email or fax. Don't even get into the award stay scenario, as the FDC was wrong. MRCS will post the points.
I am finding almost of half my stays this year are missing some sort of bonus points, but calling MR to fix the problem isn't the panacea that it used to be. The reps seem to be under orders to call the hotel while you wait on hold. Before merger mania took over, the reps would just post the points and that would be it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
“Platinum Elite Welcome Gift Options” Table Misnamed?

Marriott has issued a table listing the welcome gift options and they title it for Platinums not Platinum Premier. If it is really for the new Platinums which are the current Golds, then that is quite a change. I assume they just messed up and really meant it to be titled Platinum Premier. Right?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Link?
cloudskipper likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:42 pm
alc

I think OP is referring to this PDF:

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

And my answer to OP is that these welcome gift is available to all "Platinum" Elite levels, which include P, PP, and PP with Ambassador Service.

Last edited by alc; Jul 6, 2018 at 9:47 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by alc
these welcome gift is available to all "Platinum" Elite levels, which include P, PP, and PP with Ambassador Service.
And that's the problem. Marriott could have used the new, combined program as an opportunity to differentiate the levels of platinum with a better welcome gift for each level. Even if it was just double the points for each level. It could have copied Hyatt and gave room service breakfast as an amenity for platinum premier ambassador.

For all practical purposes, most properties will treat a platinum (the former gold) the same as a platinum premier. Maybe, just maybe a platinum premier ambassador, which should just be called ambassador, will get a better experience if you consider getting a $8 bottle of wine and a plate of processed cheese cubes in your room a better experience.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by alc
I think OP is referring to this PDF:

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

And my answer to OP is that these welcome gift is available to all "Platinum" Elite levels, which include P, PP, and PP with Ambassador Service.
Then this is a major expansion of benefits to a rather large group of people. Before you had to stay at least 75 nights/year to be eligible to receive additional points or an amenity. So now starting in August all the 50 nights/yr people can receive an additional 1,000 points per stay. We are talking about a lot of people and points, thereby adding pressure to an upward movement of points needed for an award night. What some people don’t seem to realize is if the company is super generous on handing out points, this will be driver for increasing so-called “free night” requirements.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HookEm
So now starting in August all the 50 nights/yr people can receive an additional 1,000 points per stay. We are talking about a lot of people and points
Taken from an SPG point of view, the welcome bonus for Platinums is being reduced from 1,500 to 1,000 points. So there's a lot of point savings there for Marriott.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And that's the problem. Marriott could have used the new, combined program as an opportunity to differentiate the levels of platinum with a better welcome gift for each level. Even if it was just double the points for each level. It could have copied Hyatt and gave room service breakfast as an amenity for platinum premier ambassador.

For all practical purposes, most properties will treat a platinum (the former gold) the same as a platinum premier. Maybe, just maybe a platinum premier ambassador, which should just be called ambassador, will get a better experience if you consider getting a $8 bottle of wine and a plate of processed cheese cubes in your room a better experience.
They also could have elected to offer Lounge access to only Platinum Premiere to differentiate it from Platinum. There's an infinite number of permutations they could have chosen.

Seem odd that you're concerned that they're not different, then mock what the difference would be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.