Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbedelman
"Thank you for choosing to stay at the Seattle Airport Marriott
The one that charges for airport shuttle?

Is this playing dumb about the Guarantee the norm?
Check your credit card to see if they issued you a $100 credit. If not, I would definitely follow up with a reminder that they owe you $100.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by CPRich
It's you as a Platinum member who is receiving the "Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift". Number of rooms is irrelevant.
Number of rooms is irrelevant, but many properties do indeed give you an arrival gift for each room booked...but that is a bonus and should not be expected IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am not sure if this should qualify for the guarantee but I had a property say they would give me the 500 points during my stay but then after a month my stay never posted, hence I did not get the points. After calling the Platinum desk, who called the property to have them send them the invoice, they posted the stay with the points. Given I had to go through extra hoops after my stay to get my points and nights (this was an award stay), should I qualify for the guarantee or some compensation?? If I didn't call, I would have gotten nothing. If I have to argue directly with the hotel, I expect a hard rebuttal in line with how they were when I was there.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am not sure if this should qualify for the guarantee but I had a property say they would give me the 500 points during my stay but then after a month my stay never posted, hence I did not get the points. After calling the Platinum desk, who called the property to have them send them the invoice, they posted the stay with the points. Given I had to go through extra hoops after my stay to get my points and nights (this was an award stay), should I qualify for the guarantee or some compensation?? If I didn't call, I would have gotten nothing. If I have to argue directly with the hotel, I expect a hard rebuttal in line with how they were when I was there.
The PAG guarantee calls for you to make the request BEFORE you check-out. If they fail offer the points or they don't post and you have left the property there is no payout. MR wrote the rules, the rules are in their favor, and it's up to us to know how/when things have to be done. I've had several properties not offer the PAG and then when I tried to collect claimed they always give points or I ask for points when I didn't. At that point it's a he said/he said issue and not always worth the hassle. If I am at a property I like, I will prompt them to ask and let them know failure could cost them $100!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posting here vs. the PAG thread.

Stay was with my family at the SHS Atascadero in 3 separate rooms over Christmas.

At check-in, I was first acknowledged as a "Gold" - which gave me pause (as a PP). After some searching, I was acknowledged as a Platinum and then asked what I wanted as my PAG for _each_room. Options were 200 points per room or Food/Beverage Amenity from the Pantry.

Decided to go with 1 food/beverage amenity (see below) and points for two rooms (=400 points). Points have been credited when the stay posted to my account after 2 days.

Food/beverage amenity was any food or beverage item from the Pantry - including anything alcoholic:

This was a 375 ml bottle which they were pricing in at $15 per bottle. Multiple other varietals and different beers were also available as selections.

FWIW.

David
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The one that charges for airport shuttle?
Check your credit card to see if they issued you a $100 credit. If not, I would definitely follow up with a reminder that they owe you $100.
Nope. So I left a voicemail for the GM. No response. So a week later I left a second voicemail for him again No response. So I called the hotel a third time and asked who to talk to since the GM wasn't responding. They told me to call the owners of the property, some company somewhere that they didn't have the phone number for. So I called Marriott customer care. The GM called me back. Offered me $100.

A lot of time spent just for $100. Maybe Marriott should offer a guarantee on their guarantee so if the hotel plays dumb or blows you off despite multiple calls you get $500.

Steve
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Nope. So I left a voicemail for the GM. No response. So a week later I left a second voicemail for him again No response. So I called the hotel a third time and asked who to talk to since the GM wasn't responding. They told me to call the owners of the property, some company somewhere that they didn't have the phone number for. So I called Marriott customer care. The GM called me back. Offered me $100.

A lot of time spent just for $100. Maybe Marriott should offer a guarantee on their guarantee so if the hotel plays dumb or blows you off despite multiple calls you get $500.

Steve
I'm sure they have also blacklisted you from ever renting at that property.

This is a case where the general manager, if he works for Marriott, or the franchisee and its management company needs to be censured some way by corporate Marriott.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Absurd. Marriott isn't going to blacklist or take any other punitive action against any guest who follows up on what is due them per their own guarantee.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm sure they have also blacklisted you from ever renting at that property.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Absurd. Marriott isn't going to “blacklist” or take any other punitive action against any guest who follows up on what is due them per their own guarantee.

No, but that hotel could individually add you to the naughty list. I would imagine if the original poster ever stayed at that hotel again she or he would receive the worst hotel room in the building.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
There is no "naughty list" for following up on a Marriott guarantee.

No, but that hotel could individually add you to the naughty list.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Srisarin
There is no "naughty list" for following up on a Marriott guarantee.
No, but there is a CRM system that allows a property to track customer interactions be they good or bad. This particular property has shown a disdain for following the rules and very likely has made note of the incident. Now what action they choose to take should the customer return will be the telling part. Also, from what I've been reading some of these CRM entries flow between properties, so there is no telling what will happen elsewhere. I don't think the OP did anything wrong and I'd hope the other properties will see it that way too. It's actions like this that drive customers away from the chain and not just the property. Fortunately many more properties follow the rules and provide good service than those that don't so the actions of one/few does not represent the entire collection.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Also, from what I've been reading some of these CRM entries flow between properties, so there is no telling what will happen elsewhere.
I asked about this in another thread. Is this myth or fact? I'd be curious to know (1) how common it is for Marriott elites to have information about them in a central system that any hotel can see and (2) how this complies with any privacy laws, particularly in a state like California that has pretty strict rules about this sort of thing.

I know it isn't unheard of for a good hotel to have its own internal system. For example, the St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton has a file on my colleague who stayed there 3-4 times a year before the hurricanes destroyed the hotel this year. They knew he preferred Diet Coke over Diet Pepsi and, as a result, always have Diet Coke stocked whenever he was in residence.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked about this in another thread. Is this myth or fact? I'd be curious to know (1) how common it is for Marriott elites to have information about them in a central system that any hotel can see and (2) how this complies with any privacy laws, particularly in a state like California that has pretty strict rules about this sort of thing.

I know it isn't unheard of for a good hotel to have its own internal system. For example, the St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton has a file on my colleague who stayed there 3-4 times a year before the hurricanes destroyed the hotel this year. They knew he preferred Diet Coke over Diet Pepsi and, as a result, always have Diet Coke stocked whenever he was in residence.
I would think being the properties are affiliated with each other via Marriott Hotels, that sharing data would not be prohibited and there may very well be some verbiage buried in the T&Cs that give them that ability. Personally, if there was something I wanted a property to know about my desires (Coke vs Pepsi), I'd make a point of letting them know and would have no problem sharing that info. Also, if a guest has a high PITA rating, then I suspect that's ok to share too. Unfortunately, we may never know unless a current/former property employee cares to comment and even then it would only be for the property they have experience. I would expect even different chains operated by the same franchise can and do share information, again, being under the same parent. Now if they were to publish the data beyond their domain, then I'd suspect AGs could come into play. I surely wouldn't want them posting my stay (and guest's names) on their Facebook page or website!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I would think being the properties are affiliated with each other via Marriott Hotels, that sharing data would not be prohibited and there may very well be some verbiage buried in the T&Cs that give them that ability. Personally, if there was something I wanted a property to know about my desires (Coke vs Pepsi), I'd make a point of letting them know and would have no problem sharing that info. Also, if a guest has a high PITA rating, then I suspect that's ok to share too. Unfortunately, we may never know unless a current/former property employee cares to comment and even then it would only be for the property they have experience. I would expect even different chains operated by the same franchise can and do share information, again, being under the same parent. Now if they were to publish the data beyond their domain, then I'd suspect AGs could come into play. I surely wouldn't want them posting my stay (and guest's names) on their Facebook page or website!
Maybe there is such a system but I just don't see it being used. I say that because my colleague with the Diet Coke preference does about 325 butt-in-bed nights in a hotel. Mostly Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis and good old-fashioned Marriott hotels. He has something like 8 million points. Other than the St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton saving his Diet Coke preference, none of the other properties give him Diet Coke nor do they seem to treat him as a VIP. He has lifetime platinum and platinum-premier status, but regularly doesn't get upgraded. Sometimes he gets a bottle of wine, but that's about it. How many people do 300-plus nights at multiple hotels? You would think he would be flagged if there was such an internal system.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe there is such a system but I just don't see it being used. I say that because my colleague with the Diet Coke preference does about 325 butt-in-bed nights in a hotel. Mostly Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis and good old-fashioned Marriott hotels. He has something like 8 million points. Other than the St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton saving his Diet Coke preference, none of the other properties give him Diet Coke nor do they seem to treat him as a VIP. He has lifetime platinum and platinum-premier status, but regularly doesn't get upgraded. Sometimes he gets a bottle of wine, but that's about it. How many people do 300-plus nights at multiple hotels? You would think he would be flagged if there was such an internal system.
​​​​​​I'm not surprised with the observation. You would think the hospitality industry would be more hospitable but it seems the trend is to do as little as possible for as many as possible. There are exceptions out there, but generally I see a minimalist attitude in customer-facing operations. Once you get known by a property, they are more willing to recognize your loyalty to them regardless how you rate with their brand/chain. I have properties that know me from frequent stays and even once I dropped in status I was still greeted with my preferred room and given all available perks granted to their top tier guests. Sometimes those properties will reach out to others when they know you are travelling elsewhere to ask for recognition, but that is very rare.

Reading CRM entries, I suspect, is reserved for learning if a future property needs to use caution when dealing with the guest. There was just an incident where a Hilton guest was asked to leave shortly after checking in because of his history of posting prank videos and their desire not to be his next subject (there is a post in the Hilton forum if interested in details). Unfortunately, they played right into his game as he videoed the event.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.