Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chix
Because they only offered the points after they realized they made a mistake and lied to me about Delta not participating in the Marriott guarantee.

Read the post from a few hours ago or if you care to, a few more pages of this thread that states others experiencing similar issues about non-compliant hotels and substitutes to avoid participating in the guarantee.

The guarantee is a specific arrival guarantee and it is there for obvious reasons!

The hotel is extremely unfamiliar with Marriott elite benefits as they recently converted from Wyndham.
And they were a full-service Marriott before that. I don't know how much of the management or staff were around that long, but there should be some people there who are indeed familiar with Marriott policies and procedures.

As for the guarantee, saying they "lied" about Delta not participating in the guarantee is a stretch. I think it's more likely (as you yourself said) that the people you spoke with are simply not familiar with Marriott elite benefits. Once corrected, I would have preferred they apologized and offered you the guarantee but the bottom line is that a thousand or two thousand points is better than the 500 you would have gotten.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
However, the $100 penalty is there so the hotels do follow procedure. It's a $100 lesson for the GM of the property (who, presumably has gone through some Marriott training).

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If the property just transitioned over to Marriott Rewards and rebranded as a Delta hotel I would give them some slack. Can't expect the staff to know the policies right away.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Can't expect the staff to know the policies right away.
Corporate Marriott doesn't given an exception to newly-flagged properties.

It's a potentially expensive learning curve.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
And they were a full-service Marriott before that. I don't know how much of the management or staff were around that long, but there should be some people there who are indeed familiar with Marriott policies and procedures.

As for the guarantee, saying they "lied" about Delta not participating in the guarantee is a stretch. I think it's more likely (as you yourself said) that the people you spoke with are simply not familiar with Marriott elite benefits. Once corrected, I would have preferred they apologized and offered you the guarantee but the bottom line is that a thousand or two thousand points is better than the 500 you would have gotten.
They were a non-Marriott property for several years in between. 3-4 IIRC There still could be some overlap, but it wasn't a direct transition.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I understand what you are saying about they "lied". Let's just say their management team was disrespectful about all benefits from the top down.

They could care less about the truth and what the Platinum benefits are.

Their true colors came out when they said, you got a room upgrade and now you want this? And tried to find a scapegoat to get out of it.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
However, the $100 penalty is there so the hotels do follow procedure. It's a $100 lesson for the GM of the property (who, presumably has gone through some Marriott training).

Cheers.
I tried really hard to cut them some slack at first, but their attitude was terrible.

They were extremely accusatory and adamant that I was wrong and they were right.

At the end of it, they tried to get out of it again this morning, and would not let it go because of their poor attitude and unwillingness to learn that the customer just may be right here.

They paid it out this morning claiming they had no knowledge that guest relations discussed it last night.

I wasted another hour of my time after the customer relations rep was 100% in agreement that they were wrong and I had proof.

They would not pay it out until I had them take over my phone and listen to the rep and we emailed them the link.

Absolutely Horrible lack of knowledge and know how as to how to treat customers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc
If the property just transitioned over to Marriott Rewards and rebranded as a Delta hotel I would give them some slack. Can't expect the staff to know the policies right away.
Evidently it's been a Delta for a few months now. They should know procedure by now and care about listening to a customer.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by chix

They would not pay it out until I had them take over my phone and listen to the rep and we emailed them the link.

Absolutely Horrible lack of knowledge and know how as to how to treat customers.
Oh good grief re: the first & agree re: the second.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Chix,

Glad you stuck with it. I'm sure it will be a conversation or two in the next staff meeting and the GM may have some 'splain'n to do. I find most FDCs and some FDMs are not well versed in their loyalty program (not limited to MR).

As I have explained a few times to our customers (back in the day), they get a lot more time to work on a problem before reporting to us and we have to move to a new problem with the next phone call. We need them to let us know what quirks aren't working. It's not possible to do exhaustive testing before release. We have the luxury to drill down on each component and work them to our benefit.

Thanks for posting the outcome. You might want to post a review in the property specific thread too so someone else staying there might see it and report back if they've learned their lesson.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Chix,

Glad you stuck with it. I'm sure it will be a conversation or two in the next staff meeting and the GM may have some 'splain'n to do. I find most FDCs and some FDMs are not well versed in their loyalty program (not limited to MR).

As I have explained a few times to our customers (back in the day), they get a lot more time to work on a problem before reporting to us and we have to move to a new problem with the next phone call. We need them to let us know what quirks aren't working. It's not possible to do exhaustive testing before release. We have the luxury to drill down on each component and work them to our benefit.

Thanks for posting the outcome. You might want to post a review in the property specific thread too so someone else staying there might see it and report back if they've learned their lesson.
Hi Roger,

You made me feel much better after an exhausting and stressful event both last night and then had to repeat it again this morning because the night manager had a power trip and did not want to believe me and was adamant to not pay it out.

I am in sales and know what a good customer experience is all about.

When I am on the reverse side and get to be the customer and experience a major failure, I do not let down on getting the attention of management.

The GM never even took the time to call me back and apologize for his staff that they made mistakes. Given that, I am certain that he is mad that his staff was forced to pay out the guarantee and that I invoked it to begin with. They all felt that I was given enough with a room upgrade.

Management at this property is terrible and I will post a review here and on TripAdvisor so more people will know.

I am still super disappointed that management at this property still thinks they were right and think I am a jerk for proving them wrong.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Perhaps Marriott Plat Flyertalkers in the area can arrange for a mini-DO at the facility, use BRGs to cut down the room rate, then all claim compensation for failure to provide the welcome gift.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Sorry, chix, that sounds like a terrible stay. I can tolerate honest mistakes, but certainly not a guest-hostile attitude. Thanks for sharing your experience--now I know one hotel that won't be getting any of my business in the future!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:20 am

Sorry, chix, that sounds like a terrible stay. I can tolerate honest mistakes, but certainly not a guest-hostile attitude. Thanks for sharing your experience--now I know one hotel that won't be getting any of my business in the future!
Thank you Iceman, yeah, nothing genuine and friendly about the attitude of the staff here. One would think they would want to put the customer first. Especially a Platinum.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Stayed at Renaissance Johor Bahru over 2 weeks ago, but no points and PAG added to my account yet. Is there a way to get the platinum guarantee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.